Disable Auto-Save

Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :-)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
    > My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :-)

    I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
    through the game you are.

    Chris Hawley skrev:

    > I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
    > through the game you are.

    Hmm... You can overwrite the "Autosaved" games when saving manually,
    but there might be that it needs some saved games (auto or manual).

    A bit stupid that you cannot delete a saved game either (just
    overwrite). Haven't tested deleting the savegame files though :-)

    Think it autosaves far to often :-(

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Found the Disabling Autosave for Half-Life 2 at:

    http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

    Disabling Autosave

    If you are tired of the way Half Life 2 automatically saves your game every
    time you turn a corner or meet (or defeat) a new character, you can use two
    tweaks to disable autosaving in the game. Firstly, refer to the sv_autosave
    command in the Advanced Tweaking section, as using this will disable the
    autosaving which occurs at the start of new levels. You'll have to insert
    sv_autosave 0 in the autoexec.cfg file to disable it.

    Secondly, go to your \Program
    Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2\ directory, and find
    the following files:

    autosave01.sav

    autosave01.tga

    autosave.sav

    autosave.tga

    Right-click on each file, select Properties and tick the 'Read Only' box to
    make each unable to be written to. This prevents Half Life 2 from actually
    performing a save onto these autosave files, and in the process you reduce
    all the saving pauses within levels as you pass certain autosave points.

    If you wish you can choose to disable one form of autosaving and not the
    other, and if you do disable both then make very sure that you manually save
    often, either by using the Save option, your Quicksave key, or the save
    console command.

    ***Go here for more on Half-Life 2.***

    http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

    Hope this helps.

    > Chris Hawley skrev:
    >
    >> I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
    >> through the game you are.
    >
    > Hmm... You can overwrite the "Autosaved" games when saving manually,
    > but there might be that it needs some saved games (auto or manual).
    >
    > A bit stupid that you cannot delete a saved game either (just
    > overwrite). Haven't tested deleting the savegame files though :-)
    >
    > Think it autosaves far to often :-(
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Somewhere I saw a post that claimed to do it, If I remember correctly it
    said to go to your Save folder and set the 4 auto save files to read only.
    I haven't tried it myself but you can give it a whirl.

    --
    Regards, Rene Lamontagne

    Rene Lamontagne skrev:

    > Somewhere I saw a post that claimed to do it, If I remember correctly it
    > said to go to your Save folder and set the 4 auto save files to read only.

    I'll try. Maybe there are some commands/variables to set autosave too?
    Does anyone have a command/variable overview for Source somewhere?
    (I still can't get the "fov" varaible to work either, just ignored :-)

    --

    > Rene Lamontagne skrev:
    >
    >> Somewhere I saw a post that claimed to do it, If I remember correctly it
    >> said to go to your Save folder and set the 4 auto save files to read
    >> only.
    >
    > I'll try. Maybe there are some commands/variables to set autosave too?
    > Does anyone have a command/variable overview for Source somewhere?
    > (I still can't get the "fov" varaible to work either, just ignored :-)
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    See post from *Dan*
    Dec, 24th 6:14 re cheats.

    --
    Regards, Rene Lamontagne

    "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > > Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
    > > My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :-)
    > >

    > I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
    > through the game you are.

    Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
    unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
    config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though (something
    like unlockedchapters or similar).

    GFree wrote:
    > "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
    >>>My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :-)
    >>>

    >>I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
    >>through the game you are.
    >>

    > Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
    > unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
    > config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though (something
    > like unlockedchapters or similar).

    /me slaps self.. should have thought that it was something like self

    > /me slaps self.. should have thought that it was something like self

    That's not much of a slap.

    *cue Ren & Stimpy classical music*

    GFree wrote:
    > "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >

    >>/me slaps self.. should have thought that it was something like self
    >

    > That's not much of a slap.
    >
    > *cue Ren & Stimpy classical music*

    plus wtf was i talking about "it was something like self"...

    *goes off to bang head against wall*

    GFree skrev:

    > Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
    > unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
    > config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though (something
    > like unlockedchapters or similar).

    Is that why I got LOTS of chapters to start from when I bought HL2
    All chapters from "Point insertion" to (including) "Ravenholm"
    (because I did play those two levels in the demo version :-)

    --

    > GFree skrev:
    >
    > > Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
    > > unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
    > > config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though
    (something
    > > like unlockedchapters or similar).
    >
    > Is that why I got LOTS of chapters to start from when I bought HL2
    > All chapters from "Point insertion" to (including) "Ravenholm"
    > (because I did play those two levels in the demo version :-)

    Sounds 'bout right. I'm surprised the full version of HL2 decided to use the
    demo config file. Maybe that was designed so that the transition from the
    demo to the full game would be seamless and not requrire reconfiguring the
    controls/settings, which is a clever move by Valve. Then again, they should
    have reset the chapter counter to prevent the temptation of looking into
    future missions at the wrong time.

Asus Games Video Games