Disable Auto-Save

Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
> My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :)

I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
through the game you are.

Chris Hawley skrev:

> I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
> through the game you are.

Hmm... You can overwrite the "Autosaved" games when saving manually,
but there might be that it needs some saved games (auto or manual).

A bit stupid that you cannot delete a saved game either (just
overwrite). Haven't tested deleting the savegame files though :)

Think it autosaves far to often :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Borg

Found the Disabling Autosave for Half-Life 2 at:

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

Disabling Autosave

If you are tired of the way Half Life 2 automatically saves your game every
time you turn a corner or meet (or defeat) a new character, you can use two
tweaks to disable autosaving in the game. Firstly, refer to the sv_autosave
command in the Advanced Tweaking section, as using this will disable the
autosaving which occurs at the start of new levels. You'll have to insert
sv_autosave 0 in the autoexec.cfg file to disable it.

Secondly, go to your \Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2\ directory, and find
the following files:

autosave01.sav

autosave01.tga

autosave.sav

autosave.tga

Right-click on each file, select Properties and tick the 'Read Only' box to
make each unable to be written to. This prevents Half Life 2 from actually
performing a save onto these autosave files, and in the process you reduce
all the saving pauses within levels as you pass certain autosave points.

If you wish you can choose to disable one form of autosaving and not the
other, and if you do disable both then make very sure that you manually save
often, either by using the Save option, your Quicksave key, or the save
console command.

***Go here for more on Half-Life 2.***

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

Hope this helps.

> Chris Hawley skrev:
>
>> I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
>> through the game you are.
>
> Hmm... You can overwrite the "Autosaved" games when saving manually,
> but there might be that it needs some saved games (auto or manual).
>
> A bit stupid that you cannot delete a saved game either (just
> overwrite). Haven't tested deleting the savegame files though :)
>
> Think it autosaves far to often :-(
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Somewhere I saw a post that claimed to do it, If I remember correctly it
said to go to your Save folder and set the 4 auto save files to read only.
I haven't tried it myself but you can give it a whirl.

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Rene Lamontagne skrev:

> Somewhere I saw a post that claimed to do it, If I remember correctly it
> said to go to your Save folder and set the 4 auto save files to read only.

I'll try. Maybe there are some commands/variables to set autosave too?
Does anyone have a command/variable overview for Source somewhere?
(I still can't get the "fov" varaible to work either, just ignored :)

--

> Rene Lamontagne skrev:
>
>> Somewhere I saw a post that claimed to do it, If I remember correctly it
>> said to go to your Save folder and set the 4 auto save files to read
>> only.
>
> I'll try. Maybe there are some commands/variables to set autosave too?
> Does anyone have a command/variable overview for Source somewhere?
> (I still can't get the "fov" varaible to work either, just ignored :)
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

See post from *Dan*
Dec, 24th 6:14 re cheats.

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

"Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> > Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
> > My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :)
> >

> I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
> through the game you are.

Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though (something
like unlockedchapters or similar).

GFree wrote:
> "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a way to disable Auto-Save in HL2?
>>>My disk gets filled up with Auto-Saves :)
>>>

>>I don't think so since the "New Game" menu needs a record of how far
>>through the game you are.
>>

> Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
> unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
> config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though (something
> like unlockedchapters or similar).

/me slaps self.. should have thought that it was something like self

> /me slaps self.. should have thought that it was something like self

That's not much of a slap.

*cue Ren & Stimpy classical music*

GFree wrote:
> "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>/me slaps self.. should have thought that it was something like self
>

> That's not much of a slap.
>
> *cue Ren & Stimpy classical music*

plus wtf was i talking about "it was something like self"...

*goes off to bang head against wall*

GFree skrev:

> Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
> unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
> config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though (something
> like unlockedchapters or similar).

Is that why I got LOTS of chapters to start from when I bought HL2
All chapters from "Point insertion" to (including) "Ravenholm"
(because I did play those two levels in the demo version :)

--

> GFree skrev:
>
> > Neat theory, but slightly incorrect. The number of chapters that are
> > unlocked in the New Game menu are determined by a variable in the HL2
> > config.cfg file. I can't remember the name of the variable though
(something
> > like unlockedchapters or similar).
>
> Is that why I got LOTS of chapters to start from when I bought HL2
> All chapters from "Point insertion" to (including) "Ravenholm"
> (because I did play those two levels in the demo version :)

Sounds 'bout right. I'm surprised the full version of HL2 decided to use the
demo config file. Maybe that was designed so that the transition from the
demo to the full game would be seamless and not requrire reconfiguring the
controls/settings, which is a clever move by Valve. Then again, they should
have reset the chapter counter to prevent the temptation of looking into
future missions at the wrong time.