My ATI Radeon X800XT PE arrived today

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2004 6:58:50 AM

Surprisingly, BestBuy actually came through this time.
I'll be spending the night benchmarking my new card.

Anyone interested in buying an excellent Radeon 9800 Pro? It's
complete with everything including the box. It's 100% stable
overclocked to 430/365 MHz (378/337 MHz default) using an Iceberq4 Pro
cooler. I might even throw in a couple of games. Email me with
offers :)

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net
Anonymous

James Frith wrote:
> Surprisingly, BestBuy actually came through this time.
> I'll be spending the night benchmarking my new card.

BestBuy?? According to their website, they don't offer
a x800xt. How did you get this, store, on-line?

Jeff B
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 10:14:39 PM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:42:49 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>BestBuy?? According to their website, they don't offer
>a x800xt. How did you get this, store, on-line?

I ordered it on June 5th... the first day it was made available on
their website. Normally I don't order from BB since they've burned me
before, but it was the first merchant to list the x800xt for sale, and
I knew these cards would be hot (in more ways than one).

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net
Related resources

James Frith wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:42:49 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:
>

>>BestBuy?? According to their website, they don't offer
>>a x800xt. How did you get this, store, on-line?
>

> I ordered it on June 5th... the first day it was made available on
> their website. Normally I don't order from BB since they've burned me
> before, but it was the first merchant to list the x800xt for sale, and
> I knew these cards would be hot (in more ways than one).
>

> --
> James Frith j.frith@comcast.net

Interesting. I've gone on-line everyday for a month or
so looking at their site cause I like to shop there.
Never seen the x800xt listed, and it isn't there now.
Congrats on bagging the elusive x800xt.
What is the max useable GPU/mem clock you have achieved?

Jeff B
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 11:47:58 AM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:03:27 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>Congrats on bagging the elusive x800xt.
>What is the max useable GPU/mem clock you have achieved?
>
>Jeff B

It's rock solid at 551MHz core and 574MHz memory, with no artifacts in
3DMark03. At 555MHz, I get lock ups. I'm sure I could push the
memory clock higher, but the slider is already maxed out in Rage3D
Tweak. This is in an air-conditioned room with a case temp of 75
degrees F. I'd feel safe running it at 540/570 for heavy gaming. Of
course I'd never overclock it for more than a few minutes at a time...
wouldn't want to void my warranty ;)

At the default clock speed, I'm getting 12160 in 3DMark03 (default
settings, 1024x768) on a P4 3.3GHz system. Game tests 2, 3 and 4 come
in at 90.4, 74.1, 78.9 fps... more than twice as fast as my
overclocked 9800 Pro. Quake 3, Highest Q, 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF = 281.8
fps... again, twice as fast as my Radeon 9800 Pro.

So far, I'm pleased... Now bring on Doom 3!

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net
June 18, 2004 11:47:59 AM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:47:58 GMT, James Frith <j.frith@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:03:27 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:
>
>>Congrats on bagging the elusive x800xt.
>>What is the max useable GPU/mem clock you have achieved?
>>
>>Jeff B
>
>It's rock solid at 551MHz core and 574MHz memory, with no artifacts in
>3DMark03. At 555MHz, I get lock ups. I'm sure I could push the
>memory clock higher, but the slider is already maxed out in Rage3D
>Tweak. This is in an air-conditioned room with a case temp of 75
>degrees F. I'd feel safe running it at 540/570 for heavy gaming. Of
>course I'd never overclock it for more than a few minutes at a time...
>wouldn't want to void my warranty ;)
>
>At the default clock speed, I'm getting 12160 in 3DMark03 (default
>settings, 1024x768) on a P4 3.3GHz system. Game tests 2, 3 and 4 come
>in at 90.4, 74.1, 78.9 fps... more than twice as fast as my
>overclocked 9800 Pro. Quake 3, Highest Q, 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF = 281.8
>fps... again, twice as fast as my Radeon 9800 Pro.
>
>So far, I'm pleased... Now bring on Doom 3!
The PC version as been delayed for two years until they see how well
the Xbox version sells. ;)
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:36:46 PM

DOOM 3 PRESELL (Item 239683) Expected Release Date: 07/20/04

"bp" <6ball@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:47:58 GMT, James Frith <j.frith@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:03:27 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Congrats on bagging the elusive x800xt.
> >>What is the max useable GPU/mem clock you have achieved?
> >>
> >>Jeff B
> >
> >It's rock solid at 551MHz core and 574MHz memory, with no artifacts in
> >3DMark03. At 555MHz, I get lock ups. I'm sure I could push the
> >memory clock higher, but the slider is already maxed out in Rage3D
> >Tweak. This is in an air-conditioned room with a case temp of 75
> >degrees F. I'd feel safe running it at 540/570 for heavy gaming. Of
> >course I'd never overclock it for more than a few minutes at a time...
> >wouldn't want to void my warranty ;)
> >
> >At the default clock speed, I'm getting 12160 in 3DMark03 (default
> >settings, 1024x768) on a P4 3.3GHz system. Game tests 2, 3 and 4 come
> >in at 90.4, 74.1, 78.9 fps... more than twice as fast as my
> >overclocked 9800 Pro. Quake 3, Highest Q, 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF = 281.8
> >fps... again, twice as fast as my Radeon 9800 Pro.
> >
> >So far, I'm pleased... Now bring on Doom 3!
> The PC version as been delayed for two years until they see how well
> the Xbox version sells. ;)

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:29:27 PM

I emailed you about the 9800 Pro, let me know if you don't get it..

Thanks
G Patricks

>On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:58:50 GMT, James Frith <j.frith@comcast.net> wrote:
>Anyone interested in buying an excellent Radeon 9800 Pro? It's
>complete with everything including the box. It's 100% stable
>overclocked to 430/365 MHz (378/337 MHz default) using an Iceberq4 Pro
>cooler. I might even throw in a couple of games. Email me with
>offers :)
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:51:12 PM

> It's rock solid at 551MHz core and 574MHz memory, with no artifacts in
> 3DMark03. At 555MHz, I get lock ups. I'm sure I could push the
> memory clock higher, but the slider is already maxed out in Rage3D
> Tweak. This is in an air-conditioned room with a case temp of 75
> degrees F. I'd feel safe running it at 540/570 for heavy gaming. Of
> course I'd never overclock it for more than a few minutes at a time...
> wouldn't want to void my warranty ;)

Oh yeah, the 'warranty', LOL!

> At the default clock speed, I'm getting 12160 in 3DMark03 (default
> settings, 1024x768) on a P4 3.3GHz system.

This is quite excellent. I too run a P4 Northwood at 3.3 Ghz (mine's
a 13 multiplier). With my x800pro I get 10150 on 3dm03 so seems that at
least on this
artificial benchmark, the xt version is well worth the money.
BTW, I can run at 537/560 with no artifacts or locks ups (but no
faster). That's pretty close to your speeds, guess those extra pipes
really make a difference. When I get a x800xt I'll need to consider
whether or not to keep this x800pro which I bought at a 'full refund
for any return' retailer.
BTW, for those who think a x800pro is overkill....in Far Cry, my pro
is WAY inadequate. Partly that's cause I have to run at 1900x1200,
still, a x800xt is definitely needed.

> So far, I'm pleased... Now bring on Doom 3!

Yeah, and HAlf-Life 2!

Jeff B
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 1:06:40 AM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:51:12 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>BTW, I can run at 537/560 with no artifacts or
> locks ups (but no faster). That's pretty close to your speeds,

The x800pro core is the same as the x800xt, with the extra pipes
disabled, so theoretically it should actually overclock faster, due to
less power/heat generated. Here's a tip I learned... add a small,
thin 60mm fan over the PCI slots, below the video card (in addition,
to any side case fan you may have). Heat gets trapped here, due to
poor airflow. You'll be surprised how much difference it'll make.

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 1:46:55 AM

James Frith wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:51:12 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:
>

>>BTW, I can run at 537/560 with no artifacts or
>>locks ups (but no faster). That's pretty close to your speeds,
>

> The x800pro core is the same as the x800xt, with the extra pipes
> disabled, so theoretically it should actually overclock faster, due to
> less power/heat generated. Here's a tip I learned... add a small,
> thin 60mm fan over the PCI slots, below the video card (in addition,
> to any side case fan you may have). Heat gets trapped here, due to
> poor airflow. You'll be surprised how much difference it'll make.

Thanks, I'll try it. Once I get my hands on a x800xt I'll try the
so called '16 pipes' mod on my pro so I'll have an objective way to
tell whether or not that mod actually does anything.

Jeff B
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:21:38 AM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:58:37 GMT, glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:

>He meant that why on earth would you try something like that
>on a perfectly good X800

Jeff stated that he bought it from a "full refund" retailer, and plans
on buying the x800xt when available. If his mod works, he's saved 100
bucks... if not, no big loss... except for the unlucky fellow who
buys it next.

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 9:29:29 AM

James Frith wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:58:37 GMT, glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:
>

>>He meant that why on earth would you try something like that
>>on a perfectly good X800
>>

> Jeff stated that he bought it from a "full refund" retailer, and plans
> on buying the x800xt when available. If his mod works, he's saved 100
> bucks... if not, no big loss... except for the unlucky fellow who
> buys it next.

Correction. I said I wouldn't do the mod UNLESS I decided to keep
the board. So the "unlucky fellow" reference doesn't apply.

Jeff B
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 11:11:37 AM

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 05:29:29 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>Correction. I said I wouldn't do the mod UNLESS I decided to keep
>the board. So the "unlucky fellow" reference doesn't apply.
>
>Jeff B

You must be a very honest person... Vowing not to return a $400 video
card if you should butcher it, despite purchasing it from a retailer
with a no hassle return policy.

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 8:09:12 PM

> You must be a very honest person... Vowing not to return a $400 video
> card if you should butcher it, despite purchasing it from a retailer
> with a no hassle return policy.

"Butchering it" was never part of my statement.

Jeff B
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 8:15:08 PM

> Given your recent run of posts, I'd say you easily qualify.

Ah, the cowardly "insinuation" of wrong doing. If you are going to
continue with the name calling, at least do it in a way that
I can defend. What are you afraid of?

Although I did
> notice you trying to make nice lately...how sweet of you.

At least I help people. You do nothing but lurk, and wait for
an opening to attack someone. Behind their back, of course.

Jeff B
!