bonehead

Greetings,

Here is a set of questions that probably have a very obvious answer that
I should have figured out a long time ago. But this is what I get for
spending two years in the php/mysql/apache world while depending on
others for my SysAdmin needs.

I am about to deploy a new set of XPProSP2 machines. I do not currently
have an Active Directory set up. After configuring the user's profile,
I'd like to "lock" the profile down so that the user cannot change the
Desktop Properties, Start Menu Properties, Task Bar Properties, etc.

So, my questions, in no particular order, are:

Is this already set as a default policy for one of the default groups
(such as Users?)

How do I view/edit the Group policies on a local machine?

In the absence of an Active Directory, how do I achieve what I want?

How To Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer
Policy in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882

Changes to Group Policy behavior after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873449

How To Assign a Mandatory User Profile in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307800

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> How To Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer
> Policy in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882
>
> Changes to Group Policy behavior after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873449
>
> How To Assign a Mandatory User Profile in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307800

Many thanks. I will read and learn.