How can I change Local Admins to Power Users

January 27, 2005 8:59:02 PM

My company has previously set up each user in the local administrator group.
THIS WAS A MISTAKE!

We want to take away their rights to download and run non-certified
programs, and no downloading.

Problem is... any files they created as local admins, no longer are
accessible when I remove them from the administrators group.

What are my options? How can I remove their rights to download and install?
Power users? and have them able to use and access the documents they have
created previously?

Thanks in advance, Chris
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:02:27 AM

Chris wrote:
> My company has previously set up each user in the local administrator
> group. THIS WAS A MISTAKE!

Yep!

> We want to take away their rights to download and run non-certified
> programs, and no downloading.
>
> Problem is... any files they created as local admins, no longer are
> accessible when I remove them from the administrators group.

Take ownership of the files/folders as an admin - and set the security
appropriately.

For apps that won't behave - see www.sysinternals.com - FileMon and RegMon.

> What are my options? How can I remove their rights to download and
> install? Power users? and have them able to use and access the
> documents they have created previously?

Don't use power users, either. It is rarely needed.

!