Can I use 9800 Pro in my system?

I recently built a SFF system (Soltek 3401a) which currently has an
aiw8500dv. The Soltek has a 250w (silent) power supply and I'm using a
Northwood 3.2ghz processor (not overclocked) and 2 512meg sticks of RAM
and two SATA drives (and a DVD burner). I want dual monitor support and
one way to achieve this is by replacing aiw 8500dv with a 9800pro and
somebody's tuner card. The other option would be to find a decent PCI
video board and add it. But I'm worried about the power requirements
and would appreciate comments.

dick

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004

No, that's too slow, I'd wait til the 4ghz systems come out, and you can put
5ghz of PC5500 ram on board. Other wise you're going to be bottlenecked real
bad!!

{SFU{Xeon

Xeon wrote:

> No, that's too slow, I'd wait til the 4ghz systems come out, and you can put
> 5ghz of PC5500 ram on board. Other wise you're going to be bottlenecked real
> bad!!
>
> {SFU{Xeon

I will not be buying an update to this system anytime soon. All I
wanted to know is are the power requirements for the 9800PRO too high
for a 250 watt silent power supply given the other components in my
system. I'm not worried about speed, and I'm pretty sure based on what
else I've read that the new wave of video boards need more power than my
system will provide.

Thanks anyway.

dick

Dick Sidbury wrote:
> Xeon wrote:
>
>> No, that's too slow, I'd wait til the 4ghz systems come out, and you
>> can put 5ghz of PC5500 ram on board. Other wise you're going to be
>> bottlenecked real bad!!
>>
>> {SFU{Xeon
>>
> I will not be buying an update to this system anytime soon. All I
> wanted to know is are the power requirements for the 9800PRO too high
> for a 250 watt silent power supply given the other components in my
> system. I'm not worried about speed, and I'm pretty sure based on
> what else I've read that the new wave of video boards need more power
> than my system will provide.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> dick
>

>> "Dick Sidbury" <drjamessidbury@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I recently built a SFF system (Soltek 3401a) which currently has an
>>> aiw8500dv. The Soltek has a 250w (silent) power supply and I'm
>>> using a Northwood 3.2ghz processor (not overclocked) and 2 512meg
>>> sticks of RAM and two SATA drives (and a DVD burner). I want dual
>>> monitor support and one way to achieve this is by replacing aiw
>>> 8500dv with a 9800pro and somebody's tuner card. The other option
>>> would be to find a decent PCI video board and add it. But I'm
>>> worried about the power requirements and would appreciate comments.
>>>
>>> dick

Your system can probably handle the 9800 Pro. If you had the Prescott
core, I'd think otherwise. I think it will push on your PS a bit
though, especially if you run 3D games. However, if the Soltek PS is a
good solid one, it may be fine.
McG.

"Dick Sidbury" <drjamessidbury@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently built a SFF system (Soltek 3401a) which currently has an
> aiw8500dv. The Soltek has a 250w (silent) power supply and I'm using a
> Northwood 3.2ghz processor (not overclocked) and 2 512meg sticks of RAM
> and two SATA drives (and a DVD burner). I want dual monitor support and
> one way to achieve this is by replacing aiw 8500dv with a 9800pro and
> somebody's tuner card. The other option would be to find a decent PCI
> video board and add it. But I'm worried about the power requirements
> and would appreciate comments.

Your current system should exceed the output that a 250W PSU can adequately
supply. The 9800 Pro will probably require at least another 50W.

Grab a new PSU while you're at it. A good 400W supply should do it.

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:

> "Dick Sidbury" <drjamessidbury@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I recently built a SFF system (Soltek 3401a) which currently has an
>>aiw8500dv. The Soltek has a 250w (silent) power supply and I'm using a
>>Northwood 3.2ghz processor (not overclocked) and 2 512meg sticks of RAM
>>and two SATA drives (and a DVD burner). I want dual monitor support and
>>one way to achieve this is by replacing aiw 8500dv with a 9800pro and
>>somebody's tuner card. The other option would be to find a decent PCI
>>video board and add it. But I'm worried about the power requirements
>>and would appreciate comments.
>

> Your current system should exceed the output that a 250W PSU can adequately
> supply. The 9800 Pro will probably require at least another 50W.
>
> Grab a new PSU while you're at it. A good 400W supply should do it.

Can you replace the power supply in a Soltek 3401? It's a SFF barebones
system with built in ... uh almost everything except processor and
memory (and of course mouse, keyboard and monitor) But has two
expansion slots, one AGP and one ISA.

dick

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:04:45 -0400, Dick Sidbury
<drjamessidbury@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ben Pope wrote:
>
>> "Dick Sidbury" <drjamessidbury@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I recently built a SFF system (Soltek 3401a) which currently has an
>>>aiw8500dv. The Soltek has a 250w (silent) power supply and I'm using a
>>>Northwood 3.2ghz processor (not overclocked) and 2 512meg sticks of RAM
>>>and two SATA drives (and a DVD burner). I want dual monitor support and
>>>one way to achieve this is by replacing aiw 8500dv with a 9800pro and
>>>somebody's tuner card. The other option would be to find a decent PCI
>>>video board and add it. But I'm worried about the power requirements
>>>and would appreciate comments.
>>

>> Your current system should exceed the output that a 250W PSU can adequately
>> supply. The 9800 Pro will probably require at least another 50W.
>>
>> Grab a new PSU while you're at it. A good 400W supply should do it.
>>
>Can you replace the power supply in a Soltek 3401? It's a SFF barebones
>system with built in ... uh almost everything except processor and
>memory (and of course mouse, keyboard and monitor) But has two
>expansion slots, one AGP and one ISA.
>
>dick

Is it a Soltek PSU (i.e. labelled as such)? Some proprietary build
PCs (eg Dell) use their own PSUs which can't be replaced by standard
ones, although AFAIK some companies do make PSUs that can be used to
replace Dell ones.

If it's not specifically a Soltek PSU, then you should be able to
replace it with any standard model; although you'll want to check that
the new one has the appropriate mobo connector for your system. But
chances are you'll be able to replace even a Soltek labelled PSU with
a standard model.

patrickp

Dick Sidbury wrote:
> Can you replace the power supply in a Soltek 3401? It's a SFF barebones
> system with built in ... uh almost everything except processor and
> memory (and of course mouse, keyboard and monitor) But has two
> expansion slots, one AGP and one ISA.

Enhance do all sorts of weird and wonderful form factors:
http://www.enhance.com.tw/products_search.htm

I think yours is gonna be FlexATX, but check that.

So as long as you can find one that meets FlexATX spec (or whatever)... no
problem. Gonna be more expensive and harder to find than other PSUs but
hey, you wanted small!

Ben

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <2joqniF12u70mU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Ben Pope" <b_popeREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Dick Sidbury wrote:
>> Can you replace the power supply in a Soltek 3401? It's a SFF barebones
>> system with built in ... uh almost everything except processor and
>> memory (and of course mouse, keyboard and monitor) But has two
>> expansion slots, one AGP and one ISA.
>

>Enhance do all sorts of weird and wonderful form factors:
>http://www.enhance.com.tw/products_search.htm
>
>I think yours is gonna be FlexATX, but check that.
>
>So as long as you can find one that meets FlexATX spec (or whatever)... no
>problem. Gonna be more expensive and harder to find than other PSUs but
>hey, you wanted small!
>
>Ben
This is what the original poster owns.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-214-2.htm

GMAN wrote:
> This is what the original poster owns.
>

> http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-214-2.htm

I seemed to have missed your point.

Ben

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <2jrospF157ajlU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Ben Pope" <b_popeREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>GMAN wrote:
>> This is what the original poster owns.
>>

>> http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-214-2.htm
>
>I seemed to have missed your point.
>
>Ben
The point being the OP's 250 watt supply was designed for a few HD's , A DVD
or CDR, and a P4 with plenty left to supply the 9800!

Its not like modern hard drives draw much current, same with DVD drives, The
CPU and the Video card are the largest current load and the 250 is ample for
them.

GMAN wrote:
> In article <2jrospF157ajlU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Ben Pope"
> <b_popeREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> GMAN wrote:
>>> This is what the original poster owns.
>>>

>>> http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-214-2.htm
>>
>> I seemed to have missed your point.
>>
>> Ben
> The point being the OP's 250 watt supply was designed for a few HD's , A
> DVD
> or CDR, and a P4 with plenty left to supply the 9800!

Whatever.

I replied to Dicks question about whether you can replace the PSU. My
Answer was essentially yes. I still fail to see your point, unless you
responded to the wrong branch of the thread.

Ben