Accessing the Internet under with admin. rights...

Hi All,

Given that it is best to access the internet not with admin. rights, how
does one
set up the account so that if one accidently connects when logged in as
admin,
the Internet will be disallowed ?

Obviously the paradox is that admin rights give full access !

What is the most practical way of restricting internet access for admin
logins ??

Thanks,

Neil
2 answers Last reply
More about accessing internet admin rights

    Neil wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Given that it is best to access the internet not with admin. rights,
    > how does one
    > set up the account so that if one accidently connects when logged in
    > as admin,
    > the Internet will be disallowed ?
    >
    > Obviously the paradox is that admin rights give full access !
    >
    > What is the most practical way of restricting internet access for
    > admin logins ??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil

    <checks to see if she has administrator rights on the Internet itself by
    rebooting it - access denied>

    Connecting isn't really the issue (and I don't see how you'd accidentally
    login using the 'wrong' account). There's nothing wrong with the admin
    account being able to access the internet - in fact, you won't be able to
    use Windows Update, etc., otherwise. Many people advise that for your daily
    work, you use a limited user account, and use an admin account to install
    software, etc. - this is not a bad plan, and may well help your PC stay
    clear of nasty spyware, etc.

    Use good, complex passwords on all accounts. Don't enable guest. Enable your
    firewall, or get thyself behind another one that protects your network at
    the perimeter. Keep your PC updated regularly with Windows Update. Keep your
    antivirus software updated. Practice Safe Hex. Etc.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > Neil wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Given that it is best to access the internet not with admin. rights,
    > > how does one
    > > set up the account so that if one accidently connects when logged in
    > > as admin,
    > > the Internet will be disallowed ?
    > >
    > > Obviously the paradox is that admin rights give full access !
    > >
    > > What is the most practical way of restricting internet access for
    > > admin logins ??
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Neil
    >
    > <checks to see if she has administrator rights on the Internet itself by
    > rebooting it - access denied>
    >
    > Connecting isn't really the issue (and I don't see how you'd accidentally
    > login using the 'wrong' account). There's nothing wrong with the admin
    > account being able to access the internet - in fact, you won't be able to
    > use Windows Update, etc., otherwise. Many people advise that for your daily
    > work, you use a limited user account, and use an admin account to install
    > software, etc. - this is not a bad plan, and may well help your PC stay
    > clear of nasty spyware, etc.
    >
    > Use good, complex passwords on all accounts. Don't enable guest. Enable your
    > firewall, or get thyself behind another one that protects your network at
    > the perimeter. Keep your PC updated regularly with Windows Update. Keep your
    > antivirus software updated. Practice Safe Hex. Etc.

Microsoft Internet Windows XP