File encryption........I love this topic !

Hi All,

Hypothetical q for u:

I have 3 'puters all with 3 (same) users on them.

If I encrypt files on 'puter A, that users EFS certificate will be created
for 'puter A.

Now if I export that certificate to 'puter B before I encrypt any files on
'puter B,
will this imported certificate become the certificate for files encrypted on
'puter B
given that both 'puters are EFS'ing under the same account name and
passwords ?

I wouldn't have thought so, but would be interested to know how EFS deals
with
multiple combinations of machines / accounts.

I've asked b4 but lost the reply, what happens to a file that is EFS'ed on
one machine
then backed up to an EFS'ed (different) directory on another machine ?

In order to recover that data later, which EFS certificate / private key
set(s) do I need to
have backed up earlier ?

Thanks,

Neil
2 answers Last reply
More about file encryption love topic

    Neil wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Hypothetical q for u:
    >
    > I have 3 'puters all with 3 (same) users on them.
    >
    > If I encrypt files on 'puter A, that users EFS certificate will be
    > created for 'puter A.
    >
    > Now if I export that certificate to 'puter B before I encrypt any
    > files on 'puter B,
    > will this imported certificate become the certificate for files
    > encrypted on 'puter B
    > given that both 'puters are EFS'ing under the same account name and
    > passwords ?
    >
    > I wouldn't have thought so, but would be interested to know how EFS
    > deals with
    > multiple combinations of machines / accounts.
    >
    > I've asked b4 but lost the reply, what happens to a file that is
    > EFS'ed on one machine
    > then backed up to an EFS'ed (different) directory on another machine ?
    >
    > In order to recover that data later, which EFS certificate / private
    > key set(s) do I need to
    > have backed up earlier ?

    Here is a link to a Microsoft site explaining all about encryption:

    http://tinyurl.com/6l6xx

    Read it carefully so that you do not make your data inaccessible at some
    future date.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Neil wrote:

    > (snip)
    > I've asked b4 but lost the reply, what happens to a file that is
    > EFS'ed on one machine then backed up to an EFS'ed (different)
    > directory on another machine ?
    Hi

    This thread you mean:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=cm7b93%242s0l%241%40otis.netspace.net.au