Nova Prospekt: Kill bull antlion?

In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled
area), is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing me
around the room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not killing
the bull was disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance of a
bull was killed by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).

--
user00

On 1/3/2005 11:10 AM user00 brightened our day with:

>In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled
>area), is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing me
>around the room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not killing
>the bull was disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance of a
>bull was killed by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).
>
>--
>user00

If you shoot it a lot, it dies. Alt fire on the shotgun is my favorite,
let it get close to you then let her have it with both barrels a couple
of times then sprint out of the way. Lather, rinse, repeat.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 1/3/2005 11:10 AM user00 brightened our day with:
>
>>In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled area),
>>is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing me around the
>>room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not killing the bull was
>>disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance of a bull was killed
>>by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).
>>
>>--
>>user00
>>

> If you shoot it a lot, it dies. Alt fire on the shotgun is my favorite,
> let it get close to you then let her have it with both barrels a couple of
> times then sprint out of the way. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> --
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

GG all the way baby. Urinals and sinks will do the trick.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> GG all the way baby. Urinals and sinks will do the trick.

I tried that and all it did was piss it off.

DaveL

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 1/3/2005 11:10 AM user00 brightened our day with:
>
>>In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled area),
>>is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing me around the
>>room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not killing the bull was
>>disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance >>of a bull was killed
>>by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).

> If you shoot it a lot, it dies. Alt fire on the shotgun is my favorite,
> let it get close to you then let her have it with both barrels a couple of
> times then sprint out of the way. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I agree. I added an RPG round or two, then lots of SG blasts.

"Firewalker" <firewalker2222@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>> On 1/3/2005 11:10 AM user00 brightened our day with:
>>
>>>In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled area),
>>>is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing me around the
>>>room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not killing the bull was
>>>disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance >>of a bull was killed
>>>by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).
>
>> If you shoot it a lot, it dies. Alt fire on the shotgun is my favorite,
>> let it get close to you then let her have it with both barrels a couple of
>> times then sprint out of the way. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
>I agree. I added an RPG round or two, then lots of SG blasts.

Crossbow.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

"user00" <user00@SPAMFREEblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled
> area), is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing me
> around the room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not killing
> the bull was disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance of a
> bull was killed by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).
>
> --
> user00

Rocket launcher, greanades a few things chucked by the gravity gun and down
she'll drop like Frank Bruno in a World title fight.

"Okilee Dokilee" <derekathomson@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "user00" <user00@SPAMFREEblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled
>> area), is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing
>> me
>> around the room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not
>> killing
>> the bull was disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance of a
>> bull was killed by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).
>>
>> --
>> user00
>
> Rocket launcher, greanades a few things chucked by the gravity gun and
> down
> she'll drop like Frank Bruno in a World title fight.

Thanks to everyone for responses. I'm heading back to do battle ;-)

--
user00

"user00" <user00@SPAMFREEblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled
> area), is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing me
> around the room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not
> killing the bull was disappointing. I recall that the earlier
> appearance of a bull was killed by a machine gunner (above the door
> off the beach).

Sure, it can be killed. Just takes more to do it. The crossbow works
very well on that critter. Last night, I just left it alive... was late
for a date with Alyx! ;)
McG.

Last night, I just left it alive... was late
> for a date with Alyx! ;)
> McG.
In your dreams grandpa ;)
Oh and crossbow works well as well.

"General Panic" <boskofportkarMAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Last night, I just left it alive... was late
> > for a date with Alyx! ;)
> > McG.
> In your dreams grandpa ;)
> Oh and crossbow works well as well.

I generally use the SMG grenades first, then RPG rockets second, then
alt-fire shotgun shells until the thing falls. Only issue with this
arrangement is having prior knowledge of where the bull antlion will be
encountered so the explosives can be saved until then.

"General Panic" <boskofportkarMAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Last night, I just left it alive... was late
>> for a date with Alyx! ;)
>> McG.
> In your dreams grandpa ;)
> Oh and crossbow works well as well.

It does. CF likes it too :) Oh, yes, one thing has been bugging me
about Alyx from the beginning. Some little thing about her clothing,
and I haven't seen anyone mention this anywhere at all.

Her bomber jacket is a few sizes too small for her. Of course it LOOKS
good on her, but still, yaknow? Maybe Eli or her Mom gave it her when
she was younger, I dunno. But the thing is worn and way too small.
She's growing OUT of it nicely, don't ya think?

Maybe there's a tiny bit of back story on some of these details buried
in the game somewhere. Like little easter eggs.... :)
McG.

> "General Panic" <boskofportkarMAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Last night, I just left it alive... was late
> >> for a date with Alyx! ;)
> >> McG.
> > In your dreams grandpa ;)
> > Oh and crossbow works well as well.
>
> It does. CF likes it too :) Oh, yes, one thing has been bugging me
> about Alyx from the beginning. Some little thing about her clothing,
> and I haven't seen anyone mention this anywhere at all.
>
> Her bomber jacket is a few sizes too small for her. Of course it LOOKS
> good on her, but still, yaknow? Maybe Eli or her Mom gave it her when
> she was younger, I dunno. But the thing is worn and way too small.
> She's growing OUT of it nicely, don't ya think?
>
> Maybe there's a tiny bit of back story on some of these details buried
> in the game somewhere. Like little easter eggs.... :)
> McG.

Of course her jacket's too small. There probably aren't any decent clothes
around C17, unless you count the regulation prison garb all the citizens
have to wear. Alyx just makes modifications where necessary (i.e. using duct
tape to cover holes on the upper right of her jacket).

Used the GG and the exploding barrels... 4 barrels and he's
history....

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:09:35 GMT, "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>"General Panic" <boskofportkarMAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Last night, I just left it alive... was late
>> > for a date with Alyx! ;)
>> > McG.
>> In your dreams grandpa ;)
>> Oh and crossbow works well as well.
>>

>I generally use the SMG grenades first, then RPG rockets second, then
>alt-fire shotgun shells until the thing falls. Only issue with this
>arrangement is having prior knowledge of where the bull antlion will be
>encountered so the explosives can be saved until then.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
snip

>> Maybe there's a tiny bit of back story on some of these details
>> buried in the game somewhere. Like little easter eggs.... :)
>> McG.
>
> Of course her jacket's too small. There probably aren't any decent
> clothes around C17, unless you count the regulation prison garb all
> the citizens have to wear. Alyx just makes modifications where
> necessary (i.e. using duct tape to cover holes on the upper right of
> her jacket).

Yep :)

I've read that in the time between HL2 and HL3 she goes on a Krispy
Kreme binge and will look like the Brunhilda in Wolfenstein... Yums...
My kinda woman.... I assume she'll have a new wardrobe.... Maybe a
bikini....

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:51:12 GMT, "McGrandpa"

GFree skrev:
> "General Panic" <boskofportkarMAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Last night, I just left it alive... was late
>>
>>>for a date with Alyx! ;)
>>>McG.
>>
>>In your dreams grandpa ;)
>>Oh and crossbow works well as well.
>>

> I generally use the SMG grenades first, then RPG rockets second, then
> alt-fire shotgun shells until the thing falls. Only issue with this
> arrangement is having prior knowledge of where the bull antlion will be
> encountered so the explosives can be saved until then.

Rockets and grenades do a lot of damage, but this is an area-effect and
don't have full effect on single monsters. Crossbow bolts also do high
damage, but is also a waste because of its excellent sniper feature. A
double shotgun blast is almost as powerful as the crossbow, and is the
best weapon for this task. 8 direct hits (5 on easy) will get her down,
and you don't waste any precious special-purpose ammo. The double
shotgun blast also halts her a small second so you buy yourself time to
run away and reload.

--
Robert Aksland

"Robert Aksland" <robert@nospam_aksland.no> wrote in message
> GFree skrev:
>> "General Panic" <boskofportkarMAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Last night, I just left it alive... was late

>>>In your dreams grandpa ;)
>>>Oh and crossbow works well as well.
>>>

>> I generally use the SMG grenades first, then RPG rockets second, then
>> alt-fire shotgun shells until the thing falls. Only issue with this
>> arrangement is having prior knowledge of where the bull antlion will be
>> encountered so the explosives can be saved until then.
>>

> Rockets and grenades do a lot of damage, but this is an area-effect and
> don't have full effect on single monsters. Crossbow bolts also do high
> damage, but is also a waste because of its excellent sniper feature. A
> double shotgun blast is almost as powerful as the crossbow, and is the
> best weapon for this task. 8 direct hits (5 on easy) will get her down,
> and you don't waste any precious special-purpose ammo. The double shotgun
> blast also halts her a small second so you buy yourself time to run away
> and reload.

Yeah, but you might as well use the RPG; the game will give you rockets when
you reach a part where you need to use it e.g. Striders...

Hmmm. We'll have to wait n see then :)
McG.

LymanAlpha wrote:
> On 1/3/2005 11:10 AM user00 brightened our day with:
>
> >In the early stages of Nova Prospekt (when you drop into the tiled
> >area), is it possible to kill the bull antlion that enjoyed tossing
me
> >around the room for a few minutes? I found the door out but not
killing
> >the bull was disappointing. I recall that the earlier appearance of
> >bull was killed by a machine gunner (above the door off the beach).
> >
> >--
> >user00
> >

> If you shoot it a lot, it dies. Alt fire on the shotgun is my
favorite,
> let it get close to you then let her have it with both barrels a
couple
> of times then sprint out of the way. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> --
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

yep, run and shoot, dodge and shoot will bring the bastard down. I
suppose you can get away but it's a satisfying kill. :cool:

In article <QTkCd.48429$yv2.46759@fe2.texas.rr.com>, McGrandpa
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

> Her bomber jacket is a few sizes too small for her. Of course it LOOKS
> good on her, but still, yaknow?

Ah, you old fart, it's the fashion these days... I bet you'd tell her
she'll catch her death of cold if she goes out in the rain in it :)

And what's with all these cowardly high-explosives for the bull antlion
fight.. crowbar all the way, old-school style!

___
Neil
AKA HighVis

"Neil Jones" <neil@designumbrella.com> wrote in message
> In article <QTkCd.48429$yv2.46759@fe2.texas.rr.com>, McGrandpa
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Her bomber jacket is a few sizes too small for her. Of course it LOOKS
> > good on her, but still, yaknow?
>
> Ah, you old fart, it's the fashion these days... I bet you'd tell her
> she'll catch her death of cold if she goes out in the rain in it :)
>
> And what's with all these cowardly high-explosives for the bull antlion
> fight.. crowbar all the way, old-school style!

It would have been neat if the bull antlion had, say, a big mouth that
opened to try to get a bite out of the player. An intuitive player might try
to throw a well-timed grenade into the open mouth, causing an instant kill.
Creative kills like that should be rewarding, and make for more interesting
bosses instead of simply shooting them until they fall.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>

>> GG all the way baby. Urinals and sinks will do the trick.
>>

> I tried that and all it did was piss it off.
>
> DaveL

Keep ahead of it and you should be fine. Just keep plucking stuff off the
walls and the ground and launching them at her.

Len

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:39:57 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA"
<magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>Keep ahead of it and you should be fine. Just keep plucking stuff off the
>walls and the ground and launching them at her.

That sounds like fun, but the easiest way I've found to kill *him* (it
is a bull, isn't it?) is to walk to the railing and jump on top of it
(but don't jump down to the tiled area), and then jump back. The bull
beastie will magically appear behind the double doors. All you have
to do is go back (have a look through the wire--you'll see him) and
get a turret gun, and set it up so it has a direct shot at him. The
turret will take him out, and you can then jump down into the tiled
area with no loss of ammo or health.

Len

"Len" <hughg36@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:39:57 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA"
> <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>>Keep ahead of it and you should be fine. Just keep plucking stuff off
>>the
>>walls and the ground and launching them at her.
>>
> That sounds like fun, but the easiest way I've found to kill *him* (it
> is a bull, isn't it?) is to walk to the railing and jump on top of it
> (but don't jump down to the tiled area), and then jump back. The bull
> beastie will magically appear behind the double doors. All you have
> to do is go back (have a look through the wire--you'll see him) and
> get a turret gun, and set it up so it has a direct shot at him. The
> turret will take him out, and you can then jump down into the tiled
> area with no loss of ammo or health.
>
> Len

I've tried nearly all of the suggestions and I have to admit magma's was
the most fun. Thanks to everyone for the responses - possibly the most
helpful ng I have ever posted on to.

--
user00