packard bell legion 20 cd

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

Hi

I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except the
cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
disk.

I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
floppy to no avail.

Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd

Any help appreciated
7 answers Last reply
More about packard bell legion
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

    Describe the cable connection from the CD-ROM drive to the system. Is there a
    separate card to which the CD-ROM data cable is attached? If so, the CD-ROM
    device is an old proprietary one. If not, it has a standard IDE/ATAPI
    interface. If the interface is IDE/ATAPI, is the CD-ROM manufacturer NEC? If
    so, the drive is an old not-quite-compatible one.

    What CPU is in the system? What model of motherboard, per the BIOS identifier
    displayed when the system powers up initially?

    PB model names like "Legend 20" are somewhat meaningless, because PB used many
    different model names and exercised poor quality control over what was inside
    its computers. Two samples of a so-called model could have different
    motherboards, sound, or whatever on the inside... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except the
    >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
    >disk.
    >
    >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
    >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
    >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
    >floppy to no avail.
    >
    >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
    >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
    >
    >Any help appreciated

  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

    One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com), and
    boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive in DOS
    mode? ... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except the
    >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
    >disk.
    >
    >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
    >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
    >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
    >floppy to no avail.
    >
    >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
    >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
    >
    >Any help appreciated

  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

    I think
    And I think a lot
    It has the CR-563
    Windows does have a driver for it
    It must be done manually
    It will not use the windows virtual driver that is good for most IDE ones

    It should work off the OEM boot/restore floppy
    142337 or something close to that
    > One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk
    (www.bootdisk.com), and
    > boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive in
    DOS
    > mode? ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except
    the
    > >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
    > >disk.
    > >
    > >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
    > >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
    > >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
    > >floppy to no avail.
    > >
    > >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
    > >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
    > >
    > >Any help appreciated

  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

    Download the panasonic driver from this site:
    http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/data/mkehp/docs/driver/56x_9x.exe
    Run the exe to extract the driver. Read the readme.txt file for
    instructions on installing the
    driver in Win95.

    Hope this helps.
    Glen

    "cc0008963" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I think
    > And I think a lot
    > It has the CR-563
    > Windows does have a driver for it
    > It must be done manually
    > It will not use the windows virtual driver that is good for most IDE ones
    >
    > It should work off the OEM boot/restore floppy
    > 142337 or something close to that
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk
    > (www.bootdisk.com), and
    >> boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive
    >> in
    > DOS
    >> mode? ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi
    >> >
    >> >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except
    > the
    >> >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
    >> >disk.
    >> >
    >> >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
    >> >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
    >> >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
    >> >floppy to no avail.
    >> >
    >> >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
    >> >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
    >> >
    >> >Any help appreciated

  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

    Sorry my old account number listed
    instead of my name
    I used my image to restore computer
    It was a very old one
    "cc0008963" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I think
    > And I think a lot
    > It has the CR-563
    > Windows does have a driver for it
    > It must be done manually
    > It will not use the windows virtual driver that is good for most IDE ones
    >
    > It should work off the OEM boot/restore floppy
    > 142337 or something close to that
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > > One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk
    > (www.bootdisk.com), and
    > > boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive
    in
    > DOS
    > > mode? ... Ben Myers
    > >
    > > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi
    > > >
    > > >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except
    > the
    > > >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
    > > >disk.
    > > >
    > > >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the
    standard
    > > >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using
    the
    > > >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
    > > >floppy to no avail.
    > > >
    > > >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
    > > >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
    > > >
    > > >Any help appreciated

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

    Well I got the cd rom to work, however it's still yellow errored out. It is
    a matshita cr 572-b cd rom

    I uninstalled and reinstalled to ide/esdi controller with no change. It
    showed the drivers loaded but gives no driver details like file date etc.

    Neither the cd rom nor ide controllers show any types of conflicts

    Thanks for the help thus far.

    Everything works, but these errors bug me.
    "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except
    > the cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a
    > boot disk.
    >
    > I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
    > ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
    > single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
    > floppy to no avail.
    >
    > Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
    > drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
    >
    > Any help appreciated

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > Well I got the cd rom to work, however it's still yellow errored
    > out. It is a matshita cr 572-b cd rom
    >
    > I uninstalled and reinstalled to ide/esdi controller with no change.
    > It showed the drivers loaded but gives no driver details like file
    > date etc.
    >
    > Neither the cd rom nor ide controllers show any types of conflicts
    >
    > Thanks for the help thus far.
    >
    > Everything works, but these errors bug me.

    Rick:

    In c/windows look for the files autoexec.bat & config.sys and change
    them to autoexec.old and config.old (Do not delete them) and then
    restart the computer. The run and command lines may be interfering
    with the operation of the ide-eide cd rom drive. Renaming the files in
    question may make the unit function as it should.

    In any case if there is no problems with the system after renaming the
    files (You don't really need them with Windows 98, 98SE, ME, NT, 2000,
    or XP.

    I hope that helped?

    Elector

Packard Bell Windows 98 CD-Rom Computers