packard bell legion 20 cd

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

Hi

I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except the
cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
disk.

I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
floppy to no avail.

Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd

Any help appreciated

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

Describe the cable connection from the CD-ROM drive to the system. Is there a
separate card to which the CD-ROM data cable is attached? If so, the CD-ROM
device is an old proprietary one. If not, it has a standard IDE/ATAPI
interface. If the interface is IDE/ATAPI, is the CD-ROM manufacturer NEC? If
so, the drive is an old not-quite-compatible one.

What CPU is in the system? What model of motherboard, per the BIOS identifier
displayed when the system powers up initially?

PB model names like "Legend 20" are somewhat meaningless, because PB used many
different model names and exercised poor quality control over what was inside
its computers. Two samples of a so-called model could have different
motherboards, sound, or whatever on the inside... Ben Myers

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except the
>cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
>disk.
>
>I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
>ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
>single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
>floppy to no avail.
>
>Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
>drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
>
>Any help appreciated

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com), and
boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive in DOS
mode? ... Ben Myers

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except the
>cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
>disk.
>
>I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
>ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
>single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
>floppy to no avail.
>
>Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
>drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
>
>Any help appreciated

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

I think
And I think a lot
It has the CR-563
Windows does have a driver for it
It must be done manually
It will not use the windows virtual driver that is good for most IDE ones

It should work off the OEM boot/restore floppy
142337 or something close to that
> One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk
(www.bootdisk.com), and
> boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive in
DOS
> mode? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except
the
> >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
> >disk.
> >
> >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
> >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
> >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
> >floppy to no avail.
> >
> >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
> >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
> >
> >Any help appreciated

Glen

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

Download the panasonic driver from this site:
http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/data/mkehp/docs/driver/56x_9x.exe
Run the exe to extract the driver. Read the readme.txt file for
instructions on installing the
driver in Win95.

Hope this helps.
Glen

"cc0008963" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I think
> And I think a lot
> It has the CR-563
> Windows does have a driver for it
> It must be done manually
> It will not use the windows virtual driver that is good for most IDE ones
>
> It should work off the OEM boot/restore floppy
> 142337 or something close to that
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk
> (www.bootdisk.com), and
>> boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive
>> in
> DOS
>> mode? ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except
> the
>> >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
>> >disk.
>> >
>> >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the standard
>> >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using the
>> >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
>> >floppy to no avail.
>> >
>> >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
>> >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
>> >
>> >Any help appreciated

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

Sorry my old account number listed
instead of my name
I used my image to restore computer
It was a very old one
"cc0008963" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I think
> And I think a lot
> It has the CR-563
> Windows does have a driver for it
> It must be done manually
> It will not use the windows virtual driver that is good for most IDE ones
>
> It should work off the OEM boot/restore floppy
> 142337 or something close to that
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > One more question: If you insert a Windows 98 boot disk
> (www.bootdisk.com), and
> > boot the system, does the boot disk find and recognize the CD-ROM drive
in
> DOS
> > mode? ... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:00:23 -0400, "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi
> > >
> > >I was brought a system to repair. I got everything back in order except
> the
> > >cd rom. Windows 98 SE will not recognize it nor will it work off a boot
> > >disk.
> > >
> > >I suspect part of the problem is Windows will not recognize the
standard
> > >ide/esdi hard disk controllers. I attempted to load the cd rom using
the
> > >single speed drivers form the SE cd by extracting the needed file to a
> > >floppy to no avail.
> > >
> > >Does any one know how to get these problems resolved. I do not have any
> > >drivers except what's on the 98 SE cd
> > >
> > >Any help appreciated

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell,lockergnome.windows.98.hardware,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion (More info?)

Well I got the cd rom to work, however it's still yellow errored out. It is
a matshita cr 572-b cd rom

I uninstalled and reinstalled to ide/esdi controller with no change. It
showed the drivers loaded but gives no driver details like file date etc.

Neither the cd rom nor ide controllers show any types of conflicts

Thanks for the help thus far.

Everything works, but these errors bug me.

> Well I got the cd rom to work, however it's still yellow errored
> out. It is a matshita cr 572-b cd rom
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled to ide/esdi controller with no change.
> It showed the drivers loaded but gives no driver details like file
> date etc.
>
> Neither the cd rom nor ide controllers show any types of conflicts
>
> Thanks for the help thus far.
>
> Everything works, but these errors bug me.

Rick:

In c/windows look for the files autoexec.bat & config.sys and change
them to autoexec.old and config.old (Do not delete them) and then
restart the computer. The run and command lines may be interfering
with the operation of the ide-eide cd rom drive. Renaming the files in
question may make the unit function as it should.

In any case if there is no problems with the system after renaming the
files (You don't really need them with Windows 98, 98SE, ME, NT, 2000,
or XP.

I hope that helped?

Elector