Extend wireless range

I just put our 1st wireless access point into our wired LAN, and it works
great inside of our building. However, I would like to try to extend the
range to some of our outlying warehouses. What are some solutions to extend
the range of a wireles network. Are there repeaters?

Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about extend wireless range

    Mike,

    You have a few options for doing this, you could just upgrade the antenna in
    the AP, you could get a 2.4ghz Amplifier, or you COULD get an extender.
    www.fab-corp.com has one of the best selection of antannas and amps.

    Adam Arndt

    "Mike" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I just put our 1st wireless access point into our wired LAN, and it works
    > great inside of our building. However, I would like to try to extend the
    > range to some of our outlying warehouses. What are some solutions to
    > extend
    > the range of a wireles network. Are there repeaters?
    >
    > Mike

    Can you have more than one access point, and roam between them seamlessly if
    they overlap?

    "Adam Arndt" <a-adama@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > You have a few options for doing this, you could just upgrade the antenna
    in
    > the AP, you could get a 2.4ghz Amplifier, or you COULD get an extender.
    > www.fab-corp.com has one of the best selection of antannas and amps.
    >
    > Adam Arndt
    >
    > "Mike" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >I just put our 1st wireless access point into our wired LAN, and it works
    > > great inside of our building. However, I would like to try to extend
    the
    > > range to some of our outlying warehouses. What are some solutions to
    > > extend
    > > the range of a wireles network. Are there repeaters?
    > >
    > > Mike

    Yes, this is dependant on the AP vendor supporting Roaming; normally
    supported and you must have the same SSID and WEP setting configured on both
    APs.

    Adam Arndt

    (Also, when using add-on antennas and 2.4 GHZ amps you must be careful to
    not exceed FCC regulations.)(You cannot just go out and buy a 15db gain
    Omnidirectional antenna and 2watt amp, and flood 2 square miles in 2.4ghz
    radiation)
    > Can you have more than one access point, and roam between them seamlessly
    > if
    > they overlap?
    >
    > "Adam Arndt" <a-adama@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Mike,
    >>
    >> You have a few options for doing this, you could just upgrade the antenna
    > in
    >> the AP, you could get a 2.4ghz Amplifier, or you COULD get an extender.
    >> www.fab-corp.com has one of the best selection of antannas and amps.
    >>
    >> Adam Arndt
    >>
    >> "Mike" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> >I just put our 1st wireless access point into our wired LAN, and it
    >> >works
    >> > great inside of our building. However, I would like to try to extend
    > the
    >> > range to some of our outlying warehouses. What are some solutions to
    >> > extend
    >> > the range of a wireles network. Are there repeaters?
    >> >
    >> > Mike

Wireless Wireless Access Wireless Networking