antivirus

my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so far
and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
--
lachygirl
6 answers Last reply

    susan wrote:
    > my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no
    > problems so far and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy
    > 2005 or can i update 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a
    > virus scan once a week?

    You can either re-subscribe or purchase the new version and re-subscribe at
    the same time or you can write a script or download manually the updates
    once a week (Wednesdays at 5PM is a good time.)

    I recommend considering an alternative to Norton on a home machine. For
    most it is a bit of a resource hog Try something like Avast!

    Bonus.. Most of these alternatives are FREE!

    Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

    Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

    AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
    http://www.mcafee.com/

    AntiVir (Free and up)
    http://www.free-av.com/

    avast! (Free and up)

    Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
    (Free Online Scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

    RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    You can purchase Norton Antivirus 2005 at a discount
    since you have the 2004 version. Since your Norton
    subscription has expired, you'll no longer receive new
    virus definitions that will protect your PC from future
    threats. It would be prudent to upgrade to 2005 now.

    Symantec Upgrade Center
    http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=UpgradeCenter072104&client=Symantec&sid=27674

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "susan" wrote:

    | my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so far
    | and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
    | 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
    | --
    | lachygirl

    Hi

    Have you had a look on the Symantec web site? If v2004 has expired, I would
    presume that you will have to pay to upgrade to v2005. Could you please
    explain your last sentence - covered for what?

    http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "susan" <susan.lach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so
    > far
    > and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
    > 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
    > --
    > lachygirl

    I can still do a virus scan manually and automatically but it,s just occurred
    expired
    thanks

    susan wrote:
    > I can still do a virus scan manually and automatically but it,s just
    > occurred to me that it probably hasn,t has been working work if the
    > subscription has expired
    > thanks

    AV is only as good as its last update....so yes, either upgrade to 2005, or
    ditch it and get something else if you prefer. AVG has a freebie I like
    quite a bit.

    "susan" wrote:

    > my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so far
    > and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
    > 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
    > --
    > lachygirl

    If you are going to purchase Norton 2005 at least try this one for 30 days
    free,you will find that it is not only faster but is extremly light on system
    resources as well.
    http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm

Security Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP