strider

As you may or may not know there was a discussion started recently about
whether or not it would be a good idea to rent a server and share the
cost through several members.

There have been one or two new developments. Some friends from work, a
couple called lis and stu who buy they're hosting and use it to run UT
servers and their website: http://www.utbox.34sp.com

Now normally an 18 player CS:S server would be about £44 and they're
offering us one for about £35. Now nothing is finalized yet, they've not
got the ok from their community nor have they've not finalized the price
or got the ok from their host 34sp.com.

That aside, who else is interested. If you're interested then post here
please: http://strider.clansites.com/forum_viewtopic.php?4.39.10#69

In
======
Strider
Sabaki
DrC
Bench
HighVis

Maybes
======
Civ

At present the cost to each interested party would be £7 but I hope to
get more involved to make the expense for all involved so small that it
be unnoticeable.

If I can get more people involved then we can go into greater detail,
such as how do we go about making this so T-AGHL doesn't clash with AGHL
public play and AGHL bashes. I know this may sound a little set-in-stone
but I'd much prefer that no ill feeling come about because some people
don't think they're getting what they're paying for.

One way we could do this is 'Allotted Server Time'

Allotted Server Time
===================
I think that public should make up the majority of the servers up time.
The rest should be divided between AGHL bashes and T-AGHL
practice/matches.

As mentioned on the forum the server will eventually be able to run any
mod which we choose to run which is singly the biggest advantage of
going through lis and stu so eventually I imagine it wouldn't be
surprising if there were more than one bash per week. Now considering
that bashes usually average about 3-5 hours and at a potential two
bashes a week that would amount to 10 hours out of the 168 in any given
week.

T-AGHL shouldn't need more than 5 matches per week and more likely it
will be less but at an average of an hour per match that would be about
5 hours.

The other system we could use is the 'booking' system where T-AGHL or
bash organisers would have to book server time ahead. It's not
unreasonable to combine the time allotment idea and the booking idea
with this: http://tinyurl.com/4rsqs

I'm just musing ideas. I refuse to go into this blind and I really
insist that everyone knows what 'the score' is before we go ahead. I'll
mirror this post on my forum for future reference.

All I ask is before you think about knocking this post please come up
with an alterative suggestion.

That's it for now.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.

strider

Strider proclaimed...

> The other system we could use is the 'booking' system where T-AGHL or
> bash organisers would have to book server time ahead. It's not
> unreasonable to combine the time allotment idea and the booking idea
> with this: http://tinyurl.com/4rsqs

http://strider.clansites.com/e107_plugins/ecalendar_menu/event_view.php?
calendar.1104796800.
--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Strider wrote:
> At present the cost to each interested party would be £7 but I hope to
> get more involved to make the expense for all involved so small that
> it be unnoticeable.

I presume that'l be £7 a month?

--
Ooh chiWawaa.

"Jimbob" wrote
> Strider wrote:
>> At present the cost to each interested party would be £7 but I hope to
>> get more involved to make the expense for all involved so small that
>> it be unnoticeable.
>
> I presume that'l be £7 a month?

Yep
Compared to the 10$ a month for Final Fantasy XI on PlayOnline it's a
bargain :)

- Peter

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> "Jimbob" wrote
> > Strider wrote:
> > > At present the cost to each interested party would be £7 but I
> > > hope to get more involved to make the expense for all involved so
> > > small that it be unnoticeable.
> >
> > I presume that'l be £7 a month?
> >
> Yep
> Compared to the 10$ a month for Final Fantasy XI on PlayOnline it's a
> bargain :)

Is it possible to pay a one off annual fee to someone who will manage the
transcations?

--
A friend in need is a friend indeed, But a friend with weed is better.

Jimbob wrote:
> Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

>>>I presume that'l be £7 a month?
>>>

>>Yep
>>Compared to the 10$ a month for Final Fantasy XI on PlayOnline it's a
>>bargain :)
>

> Is it possible to pay a one off annual fee to someone who will manage the
> transcations?

Yeah that's what I thought would be best too... aside from the fact that
Jolt is cheaper when you pay annually :)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

strider

Jimbob proclaimed...

> I presume that'l be £7 a month?

To early to tell yet but that's the first estimate.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.

strider

Jimbob proclaimed...

> Is it possible to pay a one off annual fee to someone who will manage the
> transcations?

It's going to work out better for me (who will probably have to handle
it, unless, volunteers?) if you pay a weekly standing order.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.

strider

Peter Lykkegaard proclaimed...

> Maybe the hosting company can deal with such a situation?

They're not a hosting company as such. They people operating through a
hosting company so we should have a great deal of leverage.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.

strider

I've just been speaking with Bench and I agree with him that paying 50-
60 for the year (as jimbob) originally mentioned would be far more
practical for all involved.

UTBOX would get their money on time and everyone would be happy

We could also pay them up front for the entire year, this would make
UTBOX much happier and we should get the server a shed load cheaper too.

--

Strider wrote:
> I've just been speaking with Bench and I agree with him that paying
> 50- 60 for the year (as jimbob) originally mentioned would be far more
> practical for all involved.
>
> UTBOX would get their money on time and everyone would be happy
>
> We could also pay them up front for the entire year, this would make
> UTBOX much happier and we should get the server a shed load cheaper
> too.

Sounding good. Do we have a known amount of definates in this yet?

--
A friend in need is a friend indeed, But a friend with weed is better.

strider

Jimbob proclaimed...

> Sounding good. Do we have a known amount of definates in this yet?

Not until we have clarity on who is in or not. At the minute I'm
discounting Civ and Ret but I've a feeling one or two others in here
might jump in.

In
======
Strider
Sabaki
DrC
Bench
HighVis
Jimbob

Maybes
======
Civ
Ret

By that marking that would be £5.8 month or £70 a year. I was hoping for
more people but we'll have to wait and see.

--

Strider wrote:
> Jimbob proclaimed...
>
>> Sounding good. Do we have a known amount of definates in this yet?
>
> Not until we have clarity on who is in or not. At the minute I'm
> discounting Civ and Ret but I've a feeling one or two others in here
> might jump in.
>
> In
> ======
> Strider
> Sabaki
> DrC
> Bench
> HighVis
> Jimbob
>
> Maybes
> ======
> Civ
> Ret
>
> By that marking that would be £5.8 month or £70 a year. I was hoping
> for more people but we'll have to wait and see.

I'd rather have 18 people and pay £23. LOL

--
A friend in need is a friend indeed, But a friend with weed is better.

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:54:59 GMT, Strider
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:

>Jimbob proclaimed...
>
>> Sounding good. Do we have a known amount of definates in this yet?
>
>Not until we have clarity on who is in or not. At the minute I'm
>discounting Civ and Ret but I've a feeling one or two others in here
>might jump in.
>
>In
>======
>Strider
>Sabaki
>DrC
>Bench
>HighVis
>Jimbob
>
>Maybes
>======
>Civ
>Ret
>
>By that marking that would be £5.8 month or £70 a year. I was hoping for
>more people but we'll have to wait and see.

I'd be interested to see what the pings would be like from the States.
I've got broadband but have never connected to a UK server before.

Erik

strider

Another update. I asked for a discount if we paid up front for the year
(I didn't tell them that we wanted to do that because we're lazy) and
they said it would be:

£35/month (£5.8 each)

Or

£370 a year (£61.6 each)

Working on the basis there are six payers. Personally I'm not happy with
just six, I feel there need to be more or this is going to be a little
steep for me.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.

shawk

Strider wrote:

> By that marking that would be £5.8 month or £70 a year. I was hoping for
> more people but we'll have to wait and see.

Aint my kind of game Stri. Good luck to you all though. Shaun.

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

strider

GeoTheCat proclaimed...

http://www.utbox.34sp.com/utb/site/e107_plugins/lgsl_menu/

--

Strider wrote:
> Another update. I asked for a discount if we paid up front for the
> year (I didn't tell them that we wanted to do that because we're
> lazy) and they said it would be:
>
> £35/month (£5.8 each)
>
> Or
>
> £370 a year (£61.6 each)
>
> Working on the basis there are six payers. Personally I'm not happy
> with just six, I feel there need to be more or this is going to be a
> little steep for me.

Yea, same with me.

--
Woke up, sick, sleep.

Strider wrote:
> Another update. I asked for a discount if we paid up front for the year
> (I didn't tell them that we wanted to do that because we're lazy) and
> they said it would be:
>
> £35/month (£5.8 each)
>
> Or
>
> £370 a year (£61.6 each)
>
> Working on the basis there are six payers. Personally I'm not happy with
> just six, I feel there need to be more or this is going to be a little
> steep for me.

I'll get back to you on this. If I get bb in February - which is looking
likely - then count me in. I can manage £60 a year.

That said - I would expect at least 12 people to be in - which is just
£31 a year - and I'm more than willing to pay that, broadband or not.

And lets face it - if we can't get 12 people to pay in - then we
probably don't need an 18 player server....

Civilian_Target

"Strider" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
>> By that marking that would be £5.8 month or £70 a year. I was hoping for
> more people but we'll have to wait and see.

I think David F was interested...might be worth
asking him?

--
Dr C [AGHL]

"Dr C[AGHL]" <DRCowling99spam@hotmail.com> wrote
> I think David F was interested...might be worth
> asking him?

This is the score... If the server is going to be solely for CS then I
really am not interested. If, however, it's going to be DM more often than
not, especially when it's sat there during the weekdays, then yeah, sure, I
could be persuaded. Obviously I am aware that on weekends it could be
anything, whatever type bash is decided. More often than not I'm at work
then anyway. I might even get the inclination to give CS a proper go on our
server, away from the knuckleheads one weekend.
Give me a definite yes for the weekday DM and I'll give you a definite yes
to a yearly payment...
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:05:13 GMT, Strider
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:

>GeoTheCat proclaimed...
>
>> I'd be interested to see what the pings would be like from the States.
>> I've got broadband but have never connected to a UK server before.
>>
>> Erik
>
>http://www.utbox.34sp.com/utb/site/e107_plugins/lgsl_menu/

Meh, maybe I'm just being a twit here but how do you connect to one of
those servers? Clicked on one but got some message about an eye?

I'll load up DM server and check it out. If it's a decent ping, I'd be
interested in helping out. Would like to learn this CS thing with a
few friendlies.

Erik

strider

Civilian_Target proclaimed...

> And lets face it - if we can't get 12 people to pay in - then we
> probably don't need an 18 player server....

That's working on the assumption that the server is not public and will
have all AGHL on at the same time.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.

"Strider" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote
> > And lets face it - if we can't get 12 people to pay in - then we
> > probably don't need an 18 player server....
>
> That's working on the assumption that the server is not public and will
> have all AGHL on at the same time.

So it's a possibility (but not a definite fact) that non-paying non-AGHL
people will be using the server which us half dozen or so pay for? Is this a
normal thing when people all club together to get a server?