16 bit Windows Subsystem Message

When I attempt to install programs on my computer I recieve the following
message:
"C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to
terminate the application."
If I click on the other option, ignore, it still does not do anything. Is
there a way to fix this? How? Just so you know, I am running Windows XP Pro
with SP2 and all of the latest updates.
Thank You,
Brandon

AUTOEXEC.NT Fix Method 1:
copy; c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt
c:\windows\system32

AUTOEXEC.NT FIX Method 2:
Go to; Start --> Run
enter; cmd.exe

{ assuming the WinXP CDROM disk is in drive "D:" }
In the Command Prompt enter...
expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ %windir%\system32\autoexec.nt

Since there are many forms of malware that can cause a problem with AUTOEXEC.NT, please
perform the following...

1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend Pattern File.

Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt377.zip

sysclean.com.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
3) Disable System Restore
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) Create a new Restore point

* * * Please report your results ! * * *

--
Dave

"Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When I attempt to install programs on my computer I recieve the following
| message:
| "C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
| running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to
| terminate the application."
| If I click on the other option, ignore, it still does not do anything. Is
| there a way to fix this? How? Just so you know, I am running Windows XP Pro
| with SP2 and all of the latest updates.
| Thank You,
| Brandon

Thank You for fixing my problem.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> AUTOEXEC.NT Fix Method 1:
> copy; c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt
> c:\windows\system32
>

> AUTOEXEC.NT FIX Method 2:
> Go to; Start --> Run
> enter; cmd.exe
>
> { assuming the WinXP CDROM disk is in drive "D:" }
> In the Command Prompt enter...
> expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ %windir%\system32\autoexec.nt
>

> Since there are many forms of malware that can cause a problem with AUTOEXEC.NT, please
> perform the following...
>

> 1) Download the following three items...
>
> Trend Sysclean Package
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>
> Latest Trend Pattern File.
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
>
> Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> Create a directory.
> On drive "C:\"
> (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
> or the desktop
> (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
>
> Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
> Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
> For example; lpt377.zip
>
> Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
> sysclean.com.
>
> 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
> 3) Disable System Restore
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
> 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
> 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
> platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
> (a few cycles may be needed)
> 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
> Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
> 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
> (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
> 8) Reboot your PC.
> 9) Create a new Restore point
>

> * * * Please report your results ! * * *
>

> --
> Dave
>

> "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | When I attempt to install programs on my computer I recieve the following
> | message:
> | "C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
> | running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to
> | terminate the application."
> | If I click on the other option, ignore, it still does not do anything. Is
> | there a way to fix this? How? Just so you know, I am running Windows XP Pro
> | with SP2 and all of the latest updates.
> | Thank You,
> | Brandon

Anytime !

Did you scan the computer for malware ?

--

Brandon wrote:

> When I attempt to install programs on my computer I recieve the
> following message:
> "C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not
> suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
> Choose 'close' to terminate the application."
Hi

Your autoexec.nt problem is most likely caused by a worm or if you have
WinXP SP2 and AVAST (antivirus software) installed, it also can cause
this error.

To solve the problem:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Alternatively:

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
the KB article above (see further down for instructions on how).

Could be caused a trojan or something similar, e.g.
TrojanDownloader.Win32.Dia.a, more about this here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.google.com

Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you
have WinXP SP2 installed:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

If you want to copy the file from the repair folder, you can use
this procedure:

Open a command prompt, using e.g. Start/Run --> cmd.exe

In the command prompt, type in the following two commands exactly as
you see them in this post (you need to press enter for each command
to execute them):

cd /d %windir%
copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*

Here is a "screen dump" from how it looks when I do it on my computer:

C:\>cd /d %windir%

C:\WINDOWS>copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*
1 file(s) copied.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: