installing cat drivers on a per game basis via a local dri..

Hi folks.

Whilst looking for a way to get IL2 Aces expansion to work using Cat 4.6 without an awful flickering
effect, I was told that the leaked cat 4.7s work with this game when you use the 4.7 openGL driver.
I also found a method of installing the cat 4.7 OpenGL driver so that it only applies to AEP.

this involves getting atioglxx.dl_ and expanding it to atioglxx.dll, then simply dropping it in the
game folder. See bottom of thread on
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=423106274
Because (I assume) the application uses .dll files that are in the home directory in preference to
those in the /system folder if it detects the local version, the game runs with cat4.7 beta openGL
(and now runs very well) even though the rest of the system uses cat 4.6.

My question is, can this be done will *all* games and a *full* set of driver .dll files?
Seems a really cool way of fixing the odd game that is broken by a new cat release; simply expand
the directX and/or openGL .dlls of the previous cat and drop it into the game directory... If so,
which files would I need to copy across to get the game to use a local version of the full cat
driver?

TIA

More about installing drivers game basis local

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > Whilst looking for a way to get IL2 Aces expansion to work using Cat 4.6
    without an awful flickering
    > effect, I was told that the leaked cat 4.7s work with this game when you
    use the 4.7 openGL driver.
    > I also found a method of installing the cat 4.7 OpenGL driver so that it
    only applies to AEP.

    > this involves getting atioglxx.dl_ and expanding it to atioglxx.dll, then
    simply dropping it in the
    > game folder. See bottom of thread on
    > http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=423106274
    > Because (I assume) the application uses .dll files that are in the home
    directory in preference to
    > those in the /system folder if it detects the local version, the game runs
    with cat4.7 beta openGL
    > (and now runs very well) even though the rest of the system uses cat 4.6.
    >
    > My question is, can this be done will *all* games and a *full* set of
    driver .dll files?
    > Seems a really cool way of fixing the odd game that is broken by a new cat
    release; simply expand
    > the directX and/or openGL .dlls of the previous cat and drop it into the
    game directory... If so,
    > which files would I need to copy across to get the game to use a local
    version of the full cat
    > driver?
    >
    > TIA

    I ended up solving a horroble crashing problem with Star Wars: Knights of
    the Old Republic (KOTOR) by using the atioglxx.dll file from the Cat 4.2
    version. I found that a bunch of others fixed the same problem with this
    fix, so I tried it -- and it worked! Not one crash since the replacement,
    when before I had them every few minutes upon entering a new level.

    The problem and the fix was discussed in detail on the Bioware Forums, so
    that is where I picked up the cure. I was to the point of about to tear
    apart my system to see if I had a dying cooling fan or something that was
    causing crashes due to overheating.

    Still, it is really pretty sad when people simply trying to play a darn game
    have to go out and replace .dll files to get it to run -- ON A HUGE-SELLING
    GAME THAT HAS BEEN OUT FOR A FREAKIN' YEAR! C'mon ATI, get your bloody
    drivers right. Each new CAT release since 4.2 introduced some new problem in
    KOTOR.

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > Whilst looking for a way to get IL2 Aces expansion to work using Cat 4.6
    without an awful flickering
    > effect, I was told that the leaked cat 4.7s work with this game when you
    use the 4.7 openGL driver.
    > I also found a method of installing the cat 4.7 OpenGL driver so that it
    only applies to AEP.

    > this involves getting atioglxx.dl_ and expanding it to atioglxx.dll, then
    simply dropping it in the
    > game folder. See bottom of thread on
    > http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=423106274
    > Because (I assume) the application uses .dll files that are in the home
    directory in preference to
    > those in the /system folder if it detects the local version, the game runs
    with cat4.7 beta openGL
    > (and now runs very well) even though the rest of the system uses cat 4.6.
    >
    > My question is, can this be done will *all* games and a *full* set of
    driver .dll files?
    > Seems a really cool way of fixing the odd game that is broken by a new cat
    release; simply expand
    > the directX and/or openGL .dlls of the previous cat and drop it into the
    game directory... If so,
    > which files would I need to copy across to get the game to use a local
    version of the full cat
    > driver?
    >
    > TIA

    Yeah, it's an old trick and works with lots of software
    not just games. But remember, when you update the
    normal drivers, your separate one(s) haven't changed and
    could no longer work as expected with the new .dll s. It
    may also be that a new general update could work better
    and/or add features unavailable in your local .dll.

    Just don't forget it's there.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Sham B wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    > My question is, can this be done will *all* games and a *full* set of
    > driver .dll files?

    This has been done since the days of quake (1) and maybe before.

    Not sure which files but should work with many games.

    Ben

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:41:51 +0100, "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP>
    wrote:

    >Hi folks.
    >
    >Whilst looking for a way to get IL2 Aces expansion to work using Cat 4.6 without an awful flickering
    >effect, I was told that the leaked cat 4.7s work with this game when you use the 4.7 openGL driver.
    >I also found a method of installing the cat 4.7 OpenGL driver so that it only applies to AEP.
    >
    >this involves getting atioglxx.dl_ and expanding it to atioglxx.dll, then simply dropping it in the
    >game folder. See bottom of thread on
    >http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=423106274
    >Because (I assume) the application uses .dll files that are in the home directory in preference to
    >those in the /system folder if it detects the local version, the game runs with cat4.7 beta openGL
    >(and now runs very well) even though the rest of the system uses cat 4.6.
    >
    >My question is, can this be done will *all* games and a *full* set of driver .dll files?
    >Seems a really cool way of fixing the odd game that is broken by a new cat release; simply expand
    >the directX and/or openGL .dlls of the previous cat and drop it into the game directory... If so,
    >which files would I need to copy across to get the game to use a local version of the full cat
    >driver?
    >
    >TIA

    Well, you could dump Ati and go with nVidia.
    Ytuly excellent backward DX and OGL compatibility with the 56.72
    driver (1 April '04) or the 53.03 driver (9 Dec 03), which misses some
    of the latest user-bells 'n whistles. There were a few drivers in
    between that are best forgotten.

    I have a vast range of DX and OpenGL current and legacy games
    ( including IL2) and a FX5900. I have never had to contemplate the
    desperate measures that you are suggesting.

    John Lewis

    > Well, you could dump Ati and go with nVidia.
    > Ytuly excellent backward DX and OGL compatibility with the 56.72
    > driver (1 April '04) or the 53.03 driver (9 Dec 03), which misses some
    > of the latest user-bells 'n whistles. There were a few drivers in
    > between that are best forgotten.

    Used to only buy vVidia, but the 9500 pro changed that, better bang for the bucks overall since then
    IMO. ATIs do tend to get on my nerves with the time it takes to get a new Cat rev working
    sometimes, you never know, might turn the tide one day soon ;)

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks.
    > >
    > > Whilst looking for a way to get IL2 Aces expansion to work using Cat 4.6
    > without an awful flickering
    > > effect, I was told that the leaked cat 4.7s work with this game when you
    > use the 4.7 openGL driver.
    > > I also found a method of installing the cat 4.7 OpenGL driver so that it
    > only applies to AEP.
    > >
    > > this involves getting atioglxx.dl_ and expanding it to atioglxx.dll,
    then
    > simply dropping it in the
    > > game folder. See bottom of thread on
    > > http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=423106274
    > > Because (I assume) the application uses .dll files that are in the home
    > directory in preference to
    > > those in the /system folder if it detects the local version, the game
    runs
    > with cat4.7 beta openGL
    > > (and now runs very well) even though the rest of the system uses cat
    4.6.

    > > My question is, can this be done will *all* games and a *full* set of
    > driver .dll files?
    > > Seems a really cool way of fixing the odd game that is broken by a new
    cat
    > release; simply expand
    > > the directX and/or openGL .dlls of the previous cat and drop it into the
    > game directory... If so,
    > > which files would I need to copy across to get the game to use a local
    > version of the full cat
    > > driver?
    > >
    > > TIA

    > Yeah, it's an old trick and works with lots of software
    > not just games. But remember, when you update the
    > normal drivers, your separate one(s) haven't changed and
    > could no longer work as expected with the new .dll s. It
    > may also be that a new general update could work better
    > and/or add features unavailable in your local .dll.
    >
    > Just don't forget it's there.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Trying out some OGL hacks ehh ;-)