9700 Pro cooling (fan no longer works)

I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than pointing
a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the built-in fan no
longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!

PCI slot fan cooler? Replacement fan for the card? Other? I'd like to
keep the cost under $30 USD.

Thanks for any tips!

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:18:17 GMT, "NuQ" <derg75@3qb74asd.com> wrote:

>I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than pointing
>a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the built-in fan no
>longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!

It's still under warranty so ask ATI, or whoever makes your card, to
send you a replacement fan.

spencer

you could try the Zalman ZM80A-HP or I have a spare but in UK.

Spence

NuQ wrote:
> I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
> pointing a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the
> built-in fan no longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!
>
> PCI slot fan cooler? Replacement fan for the card? Other? I'd like
> to keep the cost under $30 USD.
>
> Thanks for any tips!

I just found a thread that helped. I looked before I posted but didn't find
this until now. Under the 9700Pro Artifacts thread.

I found the Arctic coolers before but they all said 9800 Pro and I wasn't
sure they would work on the 9700.

Bought it ffom svc.com
http://svc.com/cardcooler.html look at the bottom...they had very
good service too!
jeff

> <Heywood> wrote in message
>>
>> might be heat related as your card begins to stress under graphics
>> demands. Had a similar problem...refitted my 9700 pro with an Artic
>> cooler ($20) instead of the oem fan/sink(took about 10 minutes!)...all
>> returned to normal. Had it about 20 months now
>
> That is interesting... just roll back the driver before taking a move like
> this one. Who did ya buy the cooler from?

Thanks for the offer. I saw that Zalman solution, but it was a little much.
I don't want to o/c the thing nor spend quite that much money.

Spencer wrote:
> you could try the Zalman ZM80A-HP or I have a spare but in UK.
>

> Spence
>

> "NuQ" <derg75@3qb74asd.com> wrote in message
>> I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
>> pointing a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like
>> the built-in fan no longer spins on the card and the card is burning
>> up!
>>
>> PCI slot fan cooler? Replacement fan for the card? Other? I'd
>> like to keep the cost under $30 USD.
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!

Arctic cooler.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

Compatible with reference design 9500, 9700 and 9800. Rev 2 also supports 9800XT.
Its also better (cooler) than the standard cooler that ATI ship, which is a bonus :)

Word of advice, *dont remove the shim!* (you will know what I am on about when you see it)

NuQ wrote:
> I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
> pointing a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the
> built-in fan no longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!
>
> PCI slot fan cooler? Replacement fan for the card? Other? I'd like
> to keep the cost under $30 USD.
>
> Thanks for any tips!

Ha! Ok, thanks. I hope I'm not dull enough to remove when it comes time!

Sham B wrote:
> Arctic cooler.
> http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/
>
> Compatible with reference design 9500, 9700 and 9800. Rev 2 also
> supports 9800XT.
> Its also better (cooler) than the standard cooler that ATI ship,
> which is a bonus :)
>
> Word of advice, *dont remove the shim!* (you will know what I am on
> about when you see it)

> NuQ wrote:
>> I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
>> pointing a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the
>> built-in fan no longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!
>>
>> PCI slot fan cooler? Replacement fan for the card? Other? I'd like
>> to keep the cost under $30 USD.
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!

oh, if the artic is too big (takes up the slot next to the gFX) have a look at the Vantec Iceberq4

PCI slot fans I have used have tended to get dirty quicky and seem to be very noisy (either because
they contain poor quality fans, or because they are attached to a cheap bit of plastic that is held
down to the chassis by only one screw). Not recommended.

NuQ wrote:
> I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
> pointing a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the
> built-in fan no longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!
>
> PCI slot fan cooler? Replacement fan for the card? Other? I'd like
> to keep the cost under $30 USD.
>
> Thanks for any tips!

Thanks again, Sham.

Sham B wrote:
> oh, if the artic is too big (takes up the slot next to the gFX) have
> a look at the Vantec Iceberq4
>
> PCI slot fans I have used have tended to get dirty quicky and seem to
> be very noisy (either because they contain poor quality fans, or
> because they are attached to a cheap bit of plastic that is held down
> to the chassis by only one screw). Not recommended.

> NuQ wrote:
>> I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
>> pointing a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the
>> built-in fan no longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!
>>
>> PCI slot fan cooler? Replacement fan for the card? Other? I'd like
>> to keep the cost under $30 USD.
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!

FWIW, I switched to the VGA Sliencer and have been more than
pleased....dropped my case temps too since it is a powerful exhaust
fan that sends the hot air out of the case! ATI should make it a
standard for their radeons IMHO.

Was a simple install as well on my 9700 Pro!

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

"Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:18:17 GMT, "NuQ" <derg75@3qb74asd.com> wrote:
>
> >I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
pointing
> >a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like the built-in fan
no
> >longer spins on the card and the card is burning up!
>
> It's still under warranty so ask ATI, or whoever makes your card, to
> send you a replacement fan.

How can you tell its still under warranty? Could be he purchased a 9700 Pro
when they were first released!
--
Les
AMD64 3200+

Les wrote:
> "Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:18:17 GMT, "NuQ" <derg75@3qb74asd.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like some advice on cooling off my ATI 9700 Pro card other than
>>> pointing a table fan at the PC with the side off ;-). Looks like
>>> the built-in fan no longer spins on the card and the card is
>>> burning up!
>>
>> It's still under warranty so ask ATI, or whoever makes your card, to
>> send you a replacement fan.
>
> How can you tell its still under warranty? Could be he purchased a
> 9700 Pro when they were first released!

I bought it used, so who knows! Anyway, I'm getting one of those Arctic
coolers from a local supplier right down the street (www.directon.com) and
the total price is $16.23. I can live with this especially since it's
supposed to be better than the stock fan.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> Les wrote:
> > "Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message

> >> It's still under warranty so ask ATI, or whoever makes your card, to
> >> send you a replacement fan.
> >
> > How can you tell its still under warranty? Could be he purchased a
> > 9700 Pro when they were first released!
>
> I bought it used, so who knows! Anyway, I'm getting one of those Arctic
> coolers from a local supplier right down the street (www.directon.com) and
> the total price is $16.23. I can live with this especially since it's
> supposed to be better than the stock fan.

They are, check my reply to post titled "Clocking 9700pro"

NuQ wrote:
> Spencer wrote:
>> you could try the Zalman ZM80A-HP or I have a spare but in UK.
>>
> Thanks for the offer. I saw that Zalman solution, but it was a little
> much. I don't want to o/c the thing nor spend quite that much money.

Shame, it's a nice cooler and is of course, very quiet, being silent :p

Works a treat on my 9800 Pro.

Just spotted a new Zalman ZM80C-HP on ebay for $37 on your doorstep.

Ben

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:33:01 +0100, "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote:

>How can you tell its still under warranty? Could be he purchased a 9700 Pro
>when they were first released!

They weren't released three years ago. Warranty is three years.

Les wrote:
> "NuQ" <derg75@3qb74asd.com> wrote in message
>> Les wrote:
>>> "Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message

>>> How can you tell its still under warranty? Could be he purchased a
>>> 9700 Pro when they were first released!
>>
>> I bought it used, so who knows! Anyway, I'm getting one of those
>> Arctic coolers from a local supplier right down the street
>> (www.directon.com) and the total price is $16.23. I can live with
>> this especially since it's supposed to be better than the stock fan.
>>

> They are, check my reply to post titled "Clocking 9700pro"

I will, thanks!

Ben Pope wrote:
> NuQ wrote:
>> Spencer wrote:
>>> you could try the Zalman ZM80A-HP or I have a spare but in UK.
>>>
>> Thanks for the offer. I saw that Zalman solution, but it was a
>> little much. I don't want to o/c the thing nor spend quite that much
>> money.
>
> Shame, it's a nice cooler and is of course, very quiet, being silent
> :p
>
> Works a treat on my 9800 Pro.
>
> Just spotted a new Zalman ZM80C-HP on ebay for $37 on your doorstep.

Well, I know, but I am really pinching pennies right now.

Heywood wrote:
> FWIW, I switched to the VGA Sliencer and have been more than
> pleased....dropped my case temps too since it is a powerful exhaust
> fan that sends the hot air out of the case! ATI should make it a
> standard for their radeons IMHO.

Yes, it does seem like a very good idea.

> Was a simple install as well on my 9700 Pro!

I don't have Motherboard Monitor installed on this system yet, so I don't
know if there's a difference, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

Purchased a new AIW 9700 Pro a few weeks ago! I replaced the ATI fan
with Vantec Iceberq4 for a peace of mind. Very quiet and is a lot
more solid that the ATI fan. I have MBM installed. On idle my CPU is
running at 28 and Motherboard at 25C.