Price prediction : 9600 & 9800pro

Hi folks

Would anyone venture to predict the price pattern for the next 3 months ? I am
planning to upgrade my 2 machines from my GF-MX2 and GFTi4 to a 9600 np and
9800 Pro respectively. I can afford to wait a bit, though.

I'm guessing that the prices won't drop that much in the next 3 months, even w/
the X800 intro. Maybe someone has a more firmer grasp of this slippery snake...

Is it just me or the rate of prices decreases have reduced from 2-3 years ago ?
I remember new pentiums, Nvidia cards, DDR memory, motherboards used to have a
pretty rapid price degradation. Nowdays it is more like a plateau. ATI is still
selling 7000 which has a 4-5 years old chip design in it....

Have fun !

"TransFigure II" <transfigure_ii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks

Howdy, how's it going?

> Would anyone venture to predict the price pattern for the next 3 months
? I am
> planning to upgrade my 2 machines from my GF-MX2 and GFTi4 to a 9600 np
and
> 9800 Pro respectively. I can afford to wait a bit, though.

I don't think the 9800 Pro can drop much further in price unless someone
has some surprise close-out on the cards. As it stands, the 9800 Pro at
current price levels provides a lot of bang for the buck. At this point,
the longer you wait, the less "bang" there will be to the product. I'm
fully confident that the 9800 Pro will remain a very viable card for quite
some time yet, but it's something to be enjoyed before it's past it's
prime. As for the 9600 non-Pro, I would not want to make any guesses as
to what will happen to it's price. Where I live, prices haven't changed
much.

> I'm guessing that the prices won't drop that much in the next 3 months,
even w/
> the X800 intro. Maybe someone has a more firmer grasp of this slippery
snake...

Maybe someone in here has a crystal ball, but I think your assumption is
correct. The reason why 9800 Pro video cards have dropped in price so
much already is to help make room for the X800's. Normal product cycle
stuff.

> Is it just me or the rate of prices decreases have reduced from 2-3
years ago ?
> I remember new pentiums, Nvidia cards, DDR memory, motherboards used to
have a
> pretty rapid price degradation. Nowdays it is more like a plateau. ATI
is still
> selling 7000 which has a 4-5 years old chip design in it....

With processors, what I think we're seeing is a pattern whereby speeds
haven't increased very much in the last couple of years, hence the slow
price drops. Two years ago this month I bought a P4 2.26GHz processor,
which is still considered to be fairly good even now. It's been a while
since I've been able to say that about a processor which has been out for
25 months.

> Have fun !

Thanks.

"TransFigure II" <transfigure_ii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> Would anyone venture to predict the price pattern for the next 3 months ?
I am
> planning to upgrade my 2 machines from my GF-MX2 and GFTi4 to a 9600 np
and
> 9800 Pro respectively. I can afford to wait a bit, though.
>
> I'm guessing that the prices won't drop that much in the next 3 months,
even w/
> the X800 intro. Maybe someone has a more firmer grasp of this slippery
snake...

> Is it just me or the rate of prices decreases have reduced from 2-3 years
ago ?
> I remember new pentiums, Nvidia cards, DDR memory, motherboards used to
have a
> pretty rapid price degradation. Nowdays it is more like a plateau. ATI is
still
> selling 7000 which has a 4-5 years old chip design in it....
>
> Have fun !

You should wait. Historically, from July to Xmas shopping season is the
period of time video card manufactures make the sales. They constantly lower
their price significantly to stimulate the sales. The more you wait, the
more you save. The price should reach the bottom sometime in October or
early November and stay much the same until next July and the whole process
repeats it again.

> You should wait. Historically, from July to Xmas shopping season is the
> period of time video card manufactures make the sales. They constantly lower
> their price significantly to stimulate the sales. The more you wait, the
> more you save. The price should reach the bottom sometime in October or
> early November and stay much the same until next July and the whole process
> repeats it again.

That makes sense... I knew there are smarter guys out there than me. Damn !

Try shopping NewEgg yet.

!