use packard bell 'win 98' cd in other system?

A Packard Bell Club 85/a 's motherboard has packed in.
I can't find a replacement mobo (slot 1) ..So we need to
order a new base system.

Will the Packard Bell supplied OS install Win98
into a non-Packard Bell system?

I have not seen the disks yet
What disks were supplied with this PB model?

cheeeaz
cw

"code_wrong" <tac@tac.ouch.co.uk> wrote in message
>A Packard Bell Club 85/a 's motherboard has packed in.
> I can't find a replacement mobo (slot 1) ..So we need to
> order a new base system.
>
> Will the Packard Bell supplied OS install Win98
> into a non-Packard Bell system?
>
> I have not seen the disks yet
> What disks were supplied with this PB model?
>
> cheeeaz
> cw

The chance is no it will not be able to be installed in another
system. When the manufacturers make these systems they come with
special programs and settings and all sorts of re-install information.
(Much like HP, Compaq, and Dell do today)

There have been cases where the inserting of the cd will look for
certain values in the system in order for it to proceed. Other times
some folks have stated that you may be able to extract the Windows OS
from the supplied cd but that is an iffy circumstance. I have also
seen where the cd will not do a thing since in some case folks have
tried to use the manufacturers supplied cd/restore to show proof of
ownership on an upgrade. It does not work.

So I would say the answer is no, for all the above reasons.

I hope that helped?

Elector

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> "code_wrong" <tac@tac.ouch.co.uk> wrote in message
> >A Packard Bell Club 85/a 's motherboard has packed in.
> > I can't find a replacement mobo (slot 1) ..So we need to
> > order a new base system.
> >
> > Will the Packard Bell supplied OS install Win98
> > into a non-Packard Bell system?
> >
> > I have not seen the disks yet
> > What disks were supplied with this PB model?
> >
> > cheeeaz
> > cw
> >

> The chance is no it will not be able to be installed in another
> system. When the manufacturers make these systems they come with
> special programs and settings and all sorts of re-install information.
> (Much like HP, Compaq, and Dell do today)
>
> There have been cases where the inserting of the cd will look for
> certain values in the system in order for it to proceed. Other times
> some folks have stated that you may be able to extract the Windows OS
> from the supplied cd but that is an iffy circumstance. I have also
> seen where the cd will not do a thing since in some case folks have
> tried to use the manufacturers supplied cd/restore to show proof of
> ownership on an upgrade. It does not work.
>
> So I would say the answer is no, for all the above reasons.
>
> I hope that helped?

Thanks .. it pays to buy the full OS .. unfortunately my friend didn't ..
So that adds another £100 to my friends new system ... pah ..
most annoying ...
cw