Help please! WIRELESS WAS OK FOR MONTHS NOW VERY POOR

Duncan

I am about to bang! I don't know what is going wrong. I am OKish with Pcs and stuff but not very good on networks. I have an old PC with a D-Link 614+ wireless router (runs on Me) I also have an hp laptop with a D-link DWL 650+ card (runs on XP home). It all has worked fine and well for months. I have had pretty good signal strength in my downstairs office to my laptop.
I made the bad choice of "fiddling" last night and updated the D-link DWL 650+ driver. Since then it has got worse and worse. I can not get a signal unless I sit by the upstairs PC. Outlook now crashes each time I open it and I can't seem to get rid of it and reinstall - it just seems to always be there! I have attempted to reistall IE6 again but it will not let me - says I already have it!

I have rolled back the driver to the old one and it was very slightly better, perhaps it was my optimism only. I have all the windows updates inplace, I run Norton anti virus and have checked for any new nasties - and all seems to be OK. I just can not get the thing to run as it was.

Restore will not work either - (is this because I emptied the recycle bin first so it can not retore?)

I am about to go C:\ trash_the_lot! Before I do so are there any wireless checks or settings I can change? All the D-link stuff is still in the default settings

Thanks to any one who has the time and energy to respond! - DUNCAN

anosh

> I am about to go C:\ trash_the_lot! Before I do so are there any wireless
checks or settings I can change? All the D-link stuff is still in the
default settings

> Thanks to any one who has the time and energy to respond! - DUNCAN

Try (re-)installing this wireless patch from Microsoft. Helped me after some
network part installation went horribly wrong.

link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826942

E.