user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi,

I have a small 650 station Windows XP network supported by 8 server 2003
servers. Our clients are a mix of SP1 & SP2. We run SMS 2003 and Symantec
Anti Virus 8.1 Corporate. We run Exchange Server 2003 & ISA server 2000
(soon to be upgraded to 2004) and GFI Download & Mail security.

We plan to update all workstations to SP2 and are currently using SMS to
bring all our clients uptodate.

Our Business is Education (school) and our customers (students) like to
challenge our desktops (& servers!). We have suffered with lots of spyware
in certain areas of the school (ie those areas with the more relaxed
teaching staff). We can't afford Lavasoft but the MS beta product looks
good.

Has anyone any experience in deploying this across a corporate network and
are there any down sides or tips you could share. I believe there is mention
of possible adverse affects with certain MS software but details are sketchy
and I'm not sure whether this has been fixed as of yet.

I appreciate that MS may decide to start charging subscriptions for this
product once it finishes BETA and I don't have a issue with this as we
always get MS software very cheaply and I don't think I would have a problem
selling a MS anti spyware solution to my line manager.

Any comments would be appreciated

Andy.

Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Andy" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I have a small 650 station Windows XP network supported by 8 server 2003
| servers. Our clients are a mix of SP1 & SP2. We run SMS 2003 and Symantec
| Anti Virus 8.1 Corporate. We run Exchange Server 2003 & ISA server 2000
| (soon to be upgraded to 2004) and GFI Download & Mail security.
|
| We plan to update all workstations to SP2 and are currently using SMS to
| bring all our clients uptodate.
|
| Our Business is Education (school) and our customers (students) like to
| challenge our desktops (& servers!). We have suffered with lots of spyware
| in certain areas of the school (ie those areas with the more relaxed
| teaching staff). We can't afford Lavasoft but the MS beta product looks
| good.
|
| Has anyone any experience in deploying this across a corporate network and
| are there any down sides or tips you could share. I believe there is mention
| of possible adverse affects with certain MS software but details are sketchy
| and I'm not sure whether this has been fixed as of yet.
|
| I appreciate that MS may decide to start charging subscriptions for this
| product once it finishes BETA and I don't have a issue with this as we
| always get MS software very cheaply and I don't think I would have a problem
| selling a MS anti spyware solution to my line manager.
|

| Any comments would be appreciated
|
| Andy.

Wait until it's out of BETA. As it is now it can cause problems.

Problems times 650 equals PROBLEMS.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eOQQ2ogBFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Andy <Andy> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small 650 station Windows XP network supported by 8 server
> 2003 servers. Our clients are a mix of SP1 & SP2. We run SMS 2003 and
> Symantec Anti Virus 8.1 Corporate. We run Exchange Server 2003 & ISA
> server 2000 (soon to be upgraded to 2004) and GFI Download & Mail
> security.
>
> We plan to update all workstations to SP2 and are currently using SMS
> to bring all our clients uptodate.
>
> Our Business is Education (school) and our customers (students) like
> to challenge our desktops (& servers!). We have suffered with lots of
> spyware in certain areas of the school (ie those areas with the more
> relaxed teaching staff). We can't afford Lavasoft but the MS beta
> product looks good.
>
> Has anyone any experience in deploying this across a corporate
> network and are there any down sides or tips you could share. I
> believe there is mention of possible adverse affects with certain MS
> software but details are sketchy and I'm not sure whether this has
> been fixed as of yet.
>
> I appreciate that MS may decide to start charging subscriptions for
> this product once it finishes BETA and I don't have a issue with this
> as we always get MS software very cheaply and I don't think I would
> have a problem selling a MS anti spyware solution to my line manager.
>

> Any comments would be appreciated
>
> Andy.

Andy wrote:

<snip>

>>> I would like to have some control over what is copied to / from the
>>> USB pen whilst it is plugged into one of the classroom computers.
>>> Perhaps if I could selectively block .mp3 .wmv whilst allowing .doc
>>> .xls
>>>
>>> Is there an inbuilt feature in Windows that I should be using for
>>> this?
>>
>> No - not that I know of. You can disallow users to install/use USB
>> devices in the first place, though.
>>>
>>> Andy.
>>

> I would rather students use USB pens than floppy disks, seen too much
> work lost on them damn things.

Why do they actually need either?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Andy wrote:
>
> <snip>

> >> No - not that I know of. You can disallow users to install/use USB
> >> devices in the first place, though.

> > I would rather students use USB pens than floppy disks, seen too much
> > work lost on them damn things.
>
> Why do they actually need either?

Taking work home or bringing work into school from home. We provide VPN and
Remote Desktop but only 10% of our student base make use of that.

It's really the .exe, .mp3 etc files that I would like to block from being
accessed. I need to look at Software Restriction Policies to see how we can
leverage that.

I have come accross the following free utility
http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/trust-no-exe/trust-no-exe.htm that I
intend to look at.

Thanks,

Andy.