Video stuttering w/9700pro ....Mcafee AV strikes!

Well, after wrestling with video stuttering (caused by high cpu usage
at varying intervals) I finally deinstalled Mcafee Antivirus 8 instead
of just shutting it down (forgot about the services running).

I got Kasparsky Labs Antivirus, removing all references left in the
reqistry by Mcafee and you know the rest....stuttering is gone!

System
MSI KT8Neo FS1R w/ Athlon 64 3200+ (not oc)
1g pc3500 ram
ATI 9700 pro not oc but with artic cooler
Seagate SATA drive on VIA SATA controller
etc

FWIW
As you might have guessed, I thought my system was pretty decent....at
least not to stutter! Well I knew about Norton being a hog, and now
also now about Mcafee

<Heywood> wrote in message

> FWIW
> As you might have guessed, I thought my system was pretty decent....at
> least not to stutter! Well I knew about Norton being a hog, and now
> also now about Mcafee

I'm sworn off of Norton and McAfee...right now, I'm using the excellent
and frequently updated virus scanner at www.free-av.com .

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:33:41 -0700, Heywood <> wrote:

>Well, after wrestling with video stuttering (caused by high cpu usage
>at varying intervals) I finally deinstalled Mcafee Antivirus 8 instead
>of just shutting it down (forgot about the services running).

Ummm...........

I discovered that Mcafee8 is a POS.
Two major bugs noted 15 minutes after firing it up. Reverted to V7.
Fortunately, with rebates, I paid $0 for it. McAfee gets worst we
every so-called-upgrade release. Pretty obvious that they must
have "downsized" their QC department.

John Lewis

>I got Kasparsky Labs Antivirus, removing all references left in the
>reqistry by Mcafee and you know the rest....stuttering is gone!
>
>System
>MSI KT8Neo FS1R w/ Athlon 64 3200+ (not oc)
>1g pc3500 ram
>ATI 9700 pro not oc but with artic cooler
>Seagate SATA drive on VIA SATA controller
>etc
>
>FWIW
>As you might have guessed, I thought my system was pretty decent....at
>least not to stutter! Well I knew about Norton being a hog, and now
>also now about Mcafee

This IS a good scanner. Not since the days of the venerable Thunderbyte have
I seen an AV program so "lean and mean".