Need help with batch file...

a b 8 Security
January 30, 2005 12:43:02 AM

I am attempting to write a batch file (to be executed at startup) to enable
or disable a given user account based on the current time. My efforts thus
far have resulted in this:

if %time% geq 15:30 if %time% lss 10:00 net user username /active:yes
if %time% geq 10:00 if %time% lss 11:55 net user username /active:no
if %time% geq 11:55 if %time lss 12:35 net user username /active:yes
if %time% geq 12:35 if %time% lss 15:30 net user username /active:no

If the time is from 3:30 PM to before 10:00 AM, or from 11:55 AM to before
12:35 PM, the account should be enabled. If the time is from 9:55 AM to
before 11:55 AM, or from 12:35 PM to before 3:30 PM, the account should be
disabled. In conjunction with a few sheduled tasks, this batch file would
enable the given account to be unavailable to users except at the desired
times, without the restrictions of the '/times' option for the 'net users'
command.
The only problem, naturally, is that the batch file doesn't work. The second
line returns 'net was unexpected at this time', and the last line doesn't
seem to run at all. What am I doing incorrectly?

More about : batch file

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 30, 2005 9:01:01 AM

try
%username%

more info can be retrieved at command line:
net help user
help if

Better yet, use the "Logon Hours" option to restrict access if you are in an
AD environment (account properties > Account > Logon Hours).

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

"radar64" wrote:

> I am attempting to write a batch file (to be executed at startup) to enable
> or disable a given user account based on the current time. My efforts thus
> far have resulted in this:
>
> if %time% geq 15:30 if %time% lss 10:00 net user username /active:yes
> if %time% geq 10:00 if %time% lss 11:55 net user username /active:no
> if %time% geq 11:55 if %time lss 12:35 net user username /active:yes
> if %time% geq 12:35 if %time% lss 15:30 net user username /active:no
>
> If the time is from 3:30 PM to before 10:00 AM, or from 11:55 AM to before
> 12:35 PM, the account should be enabled. If the time is from 9:55 AM to
> before 11:55 AM, or from 12:35 PM to before 3:30 PM, the account should be
> disabled. In conjunction with a few sheduled tasks, this batch file would
> enable the given account to be unavailable to users except at the desired
> times, without the restrictions of the '/times' option for the 'net users'
> command.
> The only problem, naturally, is that the batch file doesn't work. The second
> line returns 'net was unexpected at this time', and the last line doesn't
> seem to run at all. What am I doing incorrectly?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 30, 2005 11:51:01 PM

I simply put 'username' as an example. I was not intending to put a variable
there... I think.
I am something of a novice at writing batch files with conditional
processing. Though I have used the help command for both if and net, the
voluminous information the documentation for the if command contains gives no
indication or what I must be doing wrong.
And, unfortunately, we do not have Active Directory.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 31, 2005 11:54:38 PM

radar64 wrote:

> I simply put 'username' as an example. I was not intending to put a variable
> there... I think.
> I am something of a novice at writing batch files with conditional
> processing. Though I have used the help command for both if and net, the
> voluminous information the documentation for the if command contains gives no
> indication or what I must be doing wrong.
> And, unfortunately, we do not have Active Directory.
Hi

You might want to post your question to the newsgroup
microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: