Accessing a PC in LAN

Hi,.

If I have a PC in LAN and enter this string in IE:
\\1.2.3.4\C$
1.2.3.4 is a IP of a particular PC, and C$ is admin
default share, I got a Login dialog with Username &
Password to enter.

What kind of username & password dialog is this? Is this
a fake dialog or is a real one?

If it's a real one, who knows what are the username &
password?

Best regards,
Vladimir Stefanovic

Comments Inline..

Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:
> If I have a PC in LAN and enter this string in IE:
> \\1.2.3.4\C$
> 1.2.3.4 is a IP of a particular PC, and C$ is admin
> default share, I got a Login dialog with Username &
> Password to enter.

Yes. Yes you do.

> What kind of username & password dialog is this? Is this
> a fake dialog or is a real one?

Uhm, this is a logon/authorization "username & password dialog" - meaning
you need to enter a username/password to access this share. Whether that
username is "administrator" or "bob" and the password is "1Gr8PWD4u2krak" or
blank is determined by the setup of the PC.

> If it's a real one, who knows what are the username &
> password?

Well, duh - the person who setup the computer originally.

--
<- Shenan ->

All root drives (C:, D:, etc.) are shared by default for administrative
purposes. That means that only local machine administrators can access by
mapping to \machine_name\C$.

Access will be denied if the credentials do not match, even for
administrators.

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks!

"Vladimir Stefanovic" wrote:

> Hi,.
>
> If I have a PC in LAN and enter this string in IE:
> \\1.2.3.4\C$
> 1.2.3.4 is a IP of a particular PC, and C$ is admin
> default share, I got a Login dialog with Username &
> Password to enter.
>
> What kind of username & password dialog is this? Is this
> a fake dialog or is a real one?
>
> If it's a real one, who knows what are the username &
> password?
>

> Best regards,
> Vladimir Stefanovic

this is login from that PCs users, this means you enter user/pass that exist
in that computer and have Admin rights.

"Vladimir Stefanovic" <antivari@po.sbb.co.yu> wrote in message
> Hi,.
>
> If I have a PC in LAN and enter this string in IE:
> \\1.2.3.4\C$
> 1.2.3.4 is a IP of a particular PC, and C$ is admin
> default share, I got a Login dialog with Username &
> Password to enter.
>
> What kind of username & password dialog is this? Is this
> a fake dialog or is a real one?
>
> If it's a real one, who knows what are the username &
> password?
>

> Best regards,
> Vladimir Stefanovic

> this is login from that PCs users, this means you enter
> user/pass that exist in that computer and have Admin
> rights.

I think that would be true if I tried to enter any *public*
shared folder, and if the user really has the password.

But in this case, the user doesn't have the password, and
I'm trying to access C$, which is system share for the
C partition. Ypu can see at at MyComputer/Manage/Shares.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Stefanovic