What cards should I look at for a DVR PC?

I want to build a dedicated PC to sit next to my TV. I want to record, and
playback video. I don't know much about cards for this application and I
have not even started browsing websites yet.

What cards should I look at? Even if non-ati I will still consider. I read
that the mythtv doesn't work with ATI AIW cards.

THANKS!
--Dan

I'd be very hard pressed to recommend an ATI TV/Capture card for a DVR setup
other than the ATI eHome Wonder (but even then I don't like the fact it
doesn't have a remote), for TV output though not much out there can beat
ATI's component out if you have a component capable TV. I'd go with a card
that has mpeg2 hardware encoding like an AverMedia m150 or a Hauppauge
PVR250. Both cards will work with MythTV and other EPG's(electronic program
guides) out there. What I'd suggest is you check out myHTPC.net if you're
looking for an alternative to MythTV, or just more advice for hardware (They
have a hardware guide in the forums with great reviews, link below).

I myself use a Hauppauge PVR250 and an ATI 8500 for the component out to my
HDTV. Don't forget though, since the PC will be right next to the TV,
taking noise into account goes to a whole new level. I'm running an
underclocked CPU and GPU so I can run low fan speeds (no fan at all on the
8500, just a passive heatsink). Also quieter HD's such as the new Samsung
drives

Hardware link:
http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

Jon B.

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to build a dedicated PC to sit next to my TV. I want to record,
and
> playback video. I don't know much about cards for this application and I
> have not even started browsing websites yet.
>
> What cards should I look at? Even if non-ati I will still consider. I
read
> that the mythtv doesn't work with ATI AIW cards.
>
> THANKS!
> --Dan

Thanks so much! Also, is there any products that will change the channel on
a cable box? Like a USB cable with an IR transmitter on the end?

THANKS!
--Dan

"Jon B." <REPLYinGROUP@spamcatcher.com> wrote in message
> I'd be very hard pressed to recommend an ATI TV/Capture card for a DVR
setup
> other than the ATI eHome Wonder (but even then I don't like the fact it
> doesn't have a remote), for TV output though not much out there can beat
> ATI's component out if you have a component capable TV. I'd go with a
card
> that has mpeg2 hardware encoding like an AverMedia m150 or a Hauppauge
> PVR250. Both cards will work with MythTV and other EPG's(electronic
program
> guides) out there. What I'd suggest is you check out myHTPC.net if you're
> looking for an alternative to MythTV, or just more advice for hardware
(They
> have a hardware guide in the forums with great reviews, link below).
>
> I myself use a Hauppauge PVR250 and an ATI 8500 for the component out to
my
> HDTV. Don't forget though, since the PC will be right next to the TV,
> taking noise into account goes to a whole new level. I'm running an
> underclocked CPU and GPU so I can run low fan speeds (no fan at all on the
> 8500, just a passive heatsink). Also quieter HD's such as the new Samsung
> drives
>

> Hardware link:
> http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=28
>
> Jon B.
>
> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I want to build a dedicated PC to sit next to my TV. I want to record,
> and
> > playback video. I don't know much about cards for this application and
> > have not even started browsing websites yet.
> >
> > What cards should I look at? Even if non-ati I will still consider. I
> read
> > that the mythtv doesn't work with ATI AIW cards.
> >
> > THANKS!
> > --Dan

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <5ymCc.31174$Ha2.5927@twister.socal.rr.com>, "Jon B." <REPLYinGROUP@spamcatcher.com> wrote:
>I'd be very hard pressed to recommend an ATI TV/Capture card for a DVR setup
>other than the ATI eHome Wonder (but even then I don't like the fact it
>doesn't have a remote), for TV output though not much out there can beat
>ATI's component out if you have a component capable TV. I'd go with a card
>that has mpeg2 hardware encoding like an AverMedia m150 or a Hauppauge
>PVR250. Both cards will work with MythTV and other EPG's(electronic program
>guides) out there. What I'd suggest is you check out myHTPC.net if you're
>looking for an alternative to MythTV, or just more advice for hardware (They
>have a hardware guide in the forums with great reviews, link below).
>
>I myself use a Hauppauge PVR250 and an ATI 8500 for the component out to my
>HDTV. Don't forget though, since the PC will be right next to the TV,
>taking noise into account goes to a whole new level. I'm running an
>underclocked CPU and GPU so I can run low fan speeds (no fan at all on the
>8500, just a passive heatsink). Also quieter HD's such as the new Samsung
>drives
>

>Hardware link:
>http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=28
>
>Jon B.

I'd pick up a 9800 Pro and then get the new HDTV wonder card.

> Thanks so much! Also, is there any products that will change the channel
on
> a cable box? Like a USB cable with an IR transmitter on the end?
>
> THANKS!
> --Dan

Yes, you'll want to look for something called an IR blaster. They list 3 on
the link I gave you earlier between remotes and speakers.

No prob,
Jon B.

GMAN wrote:

> In article <5ymCc.31174$Ha2.5927@twister.socal.rr.com>, "Jon B."
> <REPLYinGROUP@spamcatcher.com> wrote:
>>I'd be very hard pressed to recommend an ATI TV/Capture card for a DVR
>>setup other than the ATI eHome Wonder (but even then I don't like the fact
>>it doesn't have a remote), for TV output though not much out there can
>>beat
>>ATI's component out if you have a component capable TV. I'd go with a
>>card that has mpeg2 hardware encoding like an AverMedia m150 or a
>>Hauppauge
>>PVR250. Both cards will work with MythTV and other EPG's(electronic
>>program guides) out there. What I'd suggest is you check out myHTPC.net if
>>you're looking for an alternative to MythTV, or just more advice for
>>hardware (They have a hardware guide in the forums with great reviews,
>>link below).
>>
>>I myself use a Hauppauge PVR250 and an ATI 8500 for the component out to
>>my
>>HDTV. Don't forget though, since the PC will be right next to the TV,
>>taking noise into account goes to a whole new level. I'm running an
>>underclocked CPU and GPU so I can run low fan speeds (no fan at all on the
>>8500, just a passive heatsink). Also quieter HD's such as the new Samsung
>>drives
>>

>>Hardware link:
>>http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=28
>>
>>Jon B.
>
> I'd pick up a 9800 Pro and then get the new HDTV wonder card.

Read what he wrote--he's using MythTV, which is a Linux app, so he needs
stuff that has Linux drivers. That means something with one of the
Conexant, Phillips, or Brooktree (now made by Conexant) chips or a board
specifically aimed at the Linux market.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

a 9800 would be over kill for what he wants it for. i wouls say a 9200 or
so. its not for games its for tv only.
get a good tv card and a mid to low end video card.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

> GMAN wrote:
>
> > In article <5ymCc.31174$Ha2.5927@twister.socal.rr.com>, "Jon B."
> > <REPLYinGROUP@spamcatcher.com> wrote:
> >>I'd be very hard pressed to recommend an ATI TV/Capture card for a DVR
> >>setup other than the ATI eHome Wonder (but even then I don't like the
fact
> >>it doesn't have a remote), for TV output though not much out there can
> >>beat
> >>ATI's component out if you have a component capable TV. I'd go with a
> >>card that has mpeg2 hardware encoding like an AverMedia m150 or a
> >>Hauppauge
> >>PVR250. Both cards will work with MythTV and other EPG's(electronic
> >>program guides) out there. What I'd suggest is you check out myHTPC.net
if
> >>you're looking for an alternative to MythTV, or just more advice for
> >>hardware (They have a hardware guide in the forums with great reviews,
> >>link below).
> >>
> >>I myself use a Hauppauge PVR250 and an ATI 8500 for the component out to
> >>my
> >>HDTV. Don't forget though, since the PC will be right next to the TV,
> >>taking noise into account goes to a whole new level. I'm running an
> >>underclocked CPU and GPU so I can run low fan speeds (no fan at all on
the
> >>8500, just a passive heatsink). Also quieter HD's such as the new
Samsung
> >>drives
> >>

> >>Hardware link:
> >>http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=28
> >>
> >>Jon B.
> >
> > I'd pick up a 9800 Pro and then get the new HDTV wonder card.
>
> Read what he wrote--he's using MythTV, which is a Linux app, so he needs
> stuff that has Linux drivers. That means something with one of the
> Conexant, Phillips, or Brooktree (now made by Conexant) chips or a board
> specifically aimed at the Linux market.

John, I initially was caught by that as well so I viewed the full header of
his post which revealed X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2800.1409. I figured if he was new to the whole PVR/HTPC arena then he
may have made the mistake of assuming Myth was available for Windows. That
is unless he's running OE via a Windows emulator ;)

Jon B. wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> GMAN wrote:

> fact
> if

> the
> Samsung

>> > I'd pick up a 9800 Pro and then get the new HDTV wonder card.
>>
>> Read what he wrote--he's using MythTV, which is a Linux app, so he needs
>> stuff that has Linux drivers. That means something with one of the
>> Conexant, Phillips, or Brooktree (now made by Conexant) chips or a board
>> specifically aimed at the Linux market.
>

> John, I initially was caught by that as well so I viewed the full header
> of his post which revealed X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
> 6.00.2800.1409. I figured if he was new to the whole PVR/HTPC arena then
> he
> may have made the mistake of assuming Myth was available for Windows.
> That is unless he's running OE via a Windows emulator ;)

Don't assume because someone is posting from Windows that Windows is his
preferred operating system. Dennis Ritchie posts from a Windows box most
of the time and I've even seen Steve Jobs post from a Windows box. Might
be on the road, or posting from a cybercafe, or using a machine at work, or
any number of other reasons. Or he may just have a Windows box set up in
the living room as a game console and prefer to use that one rather than
get up from the chair where he's sitting and walk over to the Linux box.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks a bunch for all of your input. As far as my OS, Windows is my OS of
choice because I know it so damned well. But if I am building a PC
dedicated to one specific task, Linux really does have its benefits (i.e.
build a router that uses only a floppy disk as the OS-SWEET!). I have not
decided exactly what I am doing with this media PC idea, but thanks again
for the input!

Thanks,
--Dan