UNEncryped files

My drive crached and I reloaded it. I had files that were backed up that were
encrypted is thire any way to axcess them. I try going in to propties and
unchecked the box but it denies me axcess.

Do you have a backup of the key i.e. export?
Otherwise, try to login as local administrator of the machine, which by
default should have access (as Recovery agent).

HTH.

royo wrote:
> My drive crached and I reloaded it. I had files that were backed up
> that were encrypted is thire any way to axcess them. I try going in
> to propties and unchecked the box but it denies me axcess.

Did you follow proper procedure and export your certificate and private key
and keep them in a safe place?
If not.. *poof*, gone.

--
<- Shenan ->

If you do not have the necessary ORIGINAL files, your data is as good as
gone.
See this link for possible options as well as ways to prevent this in the
future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
> Do you have a backup of the key i.e. export?
> Otherwise, try to login as local administrator of the machine, which by
> default should have access (as Recovery agent).

Unfortunately if Windows was reinstalled, then the local administrator on
the new installation won't be a recovery agent :(

True for his case, since he mentioned 'reloaded', which presumingly means
reinstall. Thanks for pointing that out Colin.

"Colin Nash [MVP]" wrote:

> "Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
> > Do you have a backup of the key i.e. export?
> > Otherwise, try to login as local administrator of the machine, which by
> > default should have access (as Recovery agent).
> >

> Unfortunately if Windows was reinstalled, then the local administrator on
> the new installation won't be a recovery agent :(

Also, for XP Pro in a non-Domain environment, the "local admin" is not
automatically designated a "recovery agent" (which was true un Win2k Pro),
it is a manual process.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!