Well gave up on the Radeon9600pro

Well guys I findly gave up on trying to get the 9600pro to run right. Went
back to my slower Radeon Rage 128Pro, its never given me the head achs like
this new video card. have NO idea why it keeps shutting down on me I've
tried everything everyones suggested with no luck so last night I pulled it,
guess it will make a good paper weight.. Maybe when I up grade the MB it
might work then.
Again Thanks to all that have tried to help but guess it was all in Vain..

Lightnen

"Lightnen" <lightnenNo@mnsi.net> wrote in message
> Well guys I findly gave up on trying to get the 9600pro to run right. Went
> back to my slower Radeon Rage 128Pro, its never given me the head achs
like
> this new video card. have NO idea why it keeps shutting down on me I've
> tried everything everyones suggested with no luck so last night I pulled
it,
> guess it will make a good paper weight.. Maybe when I up grade the MB it
> might work then.
> Again Thanks to all that have tried to help but guess it was all in
Vain..

> Lightnen

Try not to install ATI DVD player and see if the rest of functionalities
work ok. I feel my Rage 128 pro with MMC 7.x is more compatible (and fault
tolerant) with other software installed in my computer. 9600 Pro needs more
careful setup since ATI has changed its codec supplier starting from MMC 8.
I am sure your hardware is nothing to do with your frustration. It is the
software, namely MS Direct X9b, WMP and all your codecs couldn't peacefully
co-exist.

Friday I upgraded my P4 from an AIW 7500 to AIW 9600 (NOT pro).

The supplied software would not install because MMC 8.7 was
still on the system. The catuninstaller can't get rid of it.
MMC 8.7 shows up in control panel > add/remove but clicking
uninstall doesn't seem to do anything. I found references
to 8.7 in a number of files and subdirectories.

So I'm putting XP (and Fedora Core 2) on a spare hard disk.
It took a few tries given FC2's antisocial default of messing
with drive geometry but the magic incantation seems to work.

Hint: install sound drivers before installing ATI software.

Installed on a virgin XP the AIW seems to work fine, making
..mpg files that NeroVision likes (so far, knock on wood).

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"