Format of Product Key Disiplayed after New Retail XP SP2 I..

Hi Carey
After quite a long time having cold feet I did "repair" install the new
Windows XP Pro SP2 from the new retail CD given me by my family at
Christmas. I cleaned up the existing system as far as possible, created an
image back up on my backup HDD and then did the "R" install from the CD. It
went smoothly and completed in 24 minutes and only complained that the
latest Creative Audigy Sound card were not certified [though Creative Europe
said they were WDM approved]. Also still strange bug at very end that the
tape controller could not be installed: I have a SCSI Dat 4 tape drive but
no controller.
After the installation was completed, activated and registered I checked the
computer info and saw instead of the alpha-numeric CD Key the following
information

Registered to John Butler
Copse Hill Ltd
76487-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

which is correct but usually one sees the alpha numeric CD Key

I checked that the CD key was also correct and wonder why the info is now
presented as above?

Uncle John

The "76487-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX" number is the
Product ID number generated after installing Windows XP.
It is not the Product Key number.

See the following:

Retrieve your XP Product Key [CD Key]
http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Uncle John" wrote:

| Hi Carey
| After quite a long time having cold feet I did "repair" install the new
| Windows XP Pro SP2 from the new retail CD given me by my family at
| Christmas. I cleaned up the existing system as far as possible, created an
| image back up on my backup HDD and then did the "R" install from the CD. It
| went smoothly and completed in 24 minutes and only complained that the
| latest Creative Audigy Sound card were not certified [though Creative Europe
| said they were WDM approved]. Also still strange bug at very end that the
| tape controller could not be installed: I have a SCSI Dat 4 tape drive but
| no controller.
| After the installation was completed, activated and registered I checked the
| computer info and saw instead of the alpha-numeric CD Key the following
| information
|
| Registered to John Butler
| Copse Hill Ltd
| 76487-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
|
| which is correct but usually one sees the alpha numeric CD Key
|
| I checked that the CD key was also correct and wonder why the info is now
| presented as above?
|
| Uncle John

Carey,

Thanks, I realize that.

I ws wondering why when I go Control Panel\Sytem and look at the general
tab I see the Podrduct ID wheras i used to see the product Key nymber?
--
Uncle John

> The "76487-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX" number is the
> Product ID number generated after installing Windows XP.
> It is not the Product Key number.
>
> See the following:
>
> Retrieve your XP Product Key [CD Key]
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Uncle John" wrote:
>
> | Hi Carey
> | After quite a long time having cold feet I did "repair" install the new
> | Windows XP Pro SP2 from the new retail CD given me by my family at
> | Christmas. I cleaned up the existing system as far as possible, created
> an
> | image back up on my backup HDD and then did the "R" install from the
> CD. It
> | went smoothly and completed in 24 minutes and only complained that the
> | latest Creative Audigy Sound card were not certified [though Creative
> Europe
> | said they were WDM approved]. Also still strange bug at very end that
> the
> | tape controller could not be installed: I have a SCSI Dat 4 tape drive
> but
> | no controller.
> | After the installation was completed, activated and registered I checked
> the
> | computer info and saw instead of the alpha-numeric CD Key the following
> | information
> |
> | Registered to John Butler
> | Copse Hill Ltd
> | 76487-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
> |
> | which is correct but usually one sees the alpha numeric CD Key
> |
> | I checked that the CD key was also correct and wonder why the info is
> now
> | presented as above?
> |
> | Uncle John

The Product Key has not been visible on that page since Windows 95.
Starting with Windows 98 that has displayed the Product ID.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
> Carey,
>
> Thanks, I realize that.
>
> I ws wondering why when I go Control Panel\Sytem and look at the general
> tab I see the Podrduct ID wheras i used to see the product Key nymber?
> --
> Uncle John

Jupiter

Thanks. There must have been something slightly wrong with my previous
setup.

--
Uncle John