X800s - Where are They?

Rich

I suppose this is a relatively well-known problem, though not explicitly
talked about in many obvious places, but... where are the x800s? Weren't
these boards "released" at the beginning of May?

I've seen VERY limited quantities trickle through Best Buy and/or CompUSA,
but only ATi brand. I'm actually interested in a couple models from other
companies (like HIS's Excalibur X800 Pro IceQ II, for example), but I can't
really find anyone selling them.

Newegg has a number of models for sale now, though most of them aren't in
stock, and all of them have pretty high pricing for Pros (no XTs to be found
anywhere); the 9800 XTs at Newegg are just a few dollars shy of the same
price, more or less! That just doesn't sound right.

Were these various boards actually NOT released when they said? Or only
released in ridiculously small quantities?

I'm looking to purchase an x800 Pro, and am wondering a) how long I'm going
to have to wait and b) when will the prices reflect the price and not the
limited availability.

Thanks,

~ Rich

Rich wrote:
> I suppose this is a relatively well-known problem, though not explicitly
> talked about in many obvious places, but... where are the x800s? Weren't
> these boards "released" at the beginning of May?

No. The only thing that happened beginning of May
was a few engineering samples
were given to reviewers. The only thing released was information
about implementation details.

> Newegg has a number of models for sale now, though most of them aren't in
> stock,

If Newegg doesn't have any (aka not in stock) then they aren't for sale.

> Were these various boards actually NOT released when they said?

Only information was released, boards were not.

> I'm looking to purchase an x800 Pro, and am wondering a) how long I'm going
> to have to wait

zero wait. They have been available for purchase by end users for at
least one month.

> b) when will the prices reflect the price and not the
> limited availability.

>immediately. they are currently being sold at MSRP.

Jeff B

I had mine going two weeks loving every minute of it
TV SAMSUNG HLN61W DLP
Windows Media Center PC 2004
Pentium 4 2.8 800 H/T oc@3.2

ABIT IS7-E Intel 865 Chip w/SATA

Seagate 120 gig SATA 8 MB
System Memory 1024 Meg DDR400

NEC DVD 2510 dual 8X plus minus

Creative AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1

Creative Labs Giga works S750 7.1 sound system 700 Watt with remote

Cyber power Limited edition stereo case 430 watt

Microsoft Bluetooth wireless keyboard & mouse
ATI RADEON X800 XT PE 256 DDR3

HAUPPAUGE TV Tuner with FM for media center

Philips Media center remote
DVI to 61" Display 1280x720p 32 bit 60HZ
I have only the TV hooked up to pc with DVI cable

chow

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message

> Rich wrote:
> > I suppose this is a relatively well-known problem, though not explicitly
> > talked about in many obvious places, but... where are the x800s?
Weren't
> > these boards "released" at the beginning of May?
>
> No. The only thing that happened beginning of May
> was a few engineering samples
> were given to reviewers. The only thing released was information
> about implementation details.
>

> > Newegg has a number of models for sale now, though most of them aren't
in
> > stock,
>
> If Newegg doesn't have any (aka not in stock) then they aren't for sale.
>

> > Were these various boards actually NOT released when they said?
>
> Only information was released, boards were not.
>

> > I'm looking to purchase an x800 Pro, and am wondering a) how long I'm
going
> > to have to wait
>
> zero wait. They have been available for purchase by end users for at
> least one month.
>
> > b) when will the prices reflect the price and not the
> > limited availability.
>
> >immediately. they are currently being sold at MSRP.
>
> Jeff B

peter

I work for a small local computer store (1 store, no franchise of any sort)
in Canada. We have had both Powercolor and Sapphire X800's come and go, and
more are available through our suppliers by request. Not *that* hard to
get, but not super easy yet, still limitations

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:25:54 -0400, "Rich" <rich@here.there> wrote:

>I suppose this is a relatively well-known problem, though not explicitly
>talked about in many obvious places, but... where are the x800s? Weren't
>these boards "released" at the beginning of May?
>
>I've seen VERY limited quantities trickle through Best Buy and/or CompUSA,
>but only ATi brand. I'm actually interested in a couple models from other
>companies (like HIS's Excalibur X800 Pro IceQ II, for example), but I can't
>really find anyone selling them.
>
>Newegg has a number of models for sale now, though most of them aren't in
>stock, and all of them have pretty high pricing for Pros (no XTs to be found
>anywhere); the 9800 XTs at Newegg are just a few dollars shy of the same
>price, more or less! That just doesn't sound right.
>
>Were these various boards actually NOT released when they said? Or only
>released in ridiculously small quantities?
>
>I'm looking to purchase an x800 Pro, and am wondering a) how long I'm going
>to have to wait and b) when will the prices reflect the price and not the
>limited availability.
>
>Thanks,
>
>~ Rich

Two words:-

SILICON YIELD.

On nVidia 6800 too............

These are very large devices.

Prices are likely to stay high for quite a while too for the
above reason. Both Ati and nVidia have top-priority active
programs in two directions:-

1. Making simpler versions of the existing NV40, R4xx
( much smaller die ) for a new family of low-cost boards.

2. Shrinking the existing parts into a smaller geometry
process ( 110nm probably -initially. Intel is having major
headaches with 90nm ) for better yield, lower-power,
faster, or any combo of these virtues.

John Lewis

FatDaddy wrote:
> I had mine going two weeks loving every minute of it
> TV SAMSUNG HLN61W DLP

Love to see that...a 61" SAmmy DLP for a display. :)

Jeff B
BTW, where'd you get your x800xt?

I got it at best buy I love to show you pictures of it I could email you
some buy If I get time latewr i will try to put so pictures up on one of
those free pictures sites

FatDaddy wrote:
> I got it at best buy I love to show you pictures of it I could email you
> some buy If I get time latewr i will try to put so pictures up on one of
> those free pictures sites

Just saw your pics, SUPER! I may well be using
my SAmmy HLN617W as my main display, at least for
a week or two. Works quiet well, as you know.

Jeff B