No internet access

Is there anyway to bypass the Steam connection and play the game without
internet access?

--
Jason
33 answers Last reply

    On 1/4/2005 10:13 AM Jason brightened our day with:

    >Is there anyway to bypass the Steam connection and play the game without
    >internet access?
    >
    >--
    >Jason

    Once you've gone through the validation of files you can play offline.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    LymanAlpha wrote:
    > On 1/4/2005 10:13 AM Jason brightened our day with:
    >
    >> Is there anyway to bypass the Steam connection and play the game without
    >> internet access?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jason
    >>

    > Once you've gone through the validation of files you can play offline.

    yeah, you need an internet connection during the install (its one of the
    requirements listed on the box)

    "Jason" <j.connon@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to bypass the Steam connection and play the game without
    > internet access?

    Nope.

    "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    > LymanAlpha wrote:
    > > On 1/4/2005 10:13 AM Jason brightened our day with:
    > >
    > >> Is there anyway to bypass the Steam connection and play the game
    without
    > >> internet access?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Jason
    > >>

    > > Once you've gone through the validation of files you can play offline.
    > >
    > yeah, you need an internet connection during the install (its one of the
    > requirements listed on the box)

    Despite what common sense would suggest, a heck of a lot of people don't do
    any research before laying down a wad of cash for a game. Then they come
    home and discover that they can't play it for a lack of hardware or, in this
    case, Internet access.

    No offence to the OP; all I'm saying is that things are definately not
    simple with games anymore and people should read gaming forums and such to
    learn what they can before a potential purchase. Saves headaches later.

    "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    > Despite what common sense would suggest, a heck of a lot of people don't
    > do
    > any research before laying down a wad of cash for a game. Then they come
    > home and discover that they can't play it for a lack of hardware or, in
    > this
    > case, Internet access.
    >
    > No offence to the OP; all I'm saying is that things are definately not
    > simple with games anymore and people should read gaming forums and such to
    > learn what they can before a potential purchase. Saves headaches later.

    Part of the problem is with how ambiguous the "internet connection required"
    listing on the box is. Required for what...to play online or for to play
    the game at all? Neither one of those common assummptions is even accurate.
    A much better listing would have been "needs to be activated over an
    internet connection"

    Somebody else responded in this thread with a simple "nope", seeming to
    indicate that you can't do what the OP asked. Of course, he wasn't really
    correct. It is very possible to "bypass a steam connection" once you have
    activated the game with it.

    "Patrick Michael" <heismanpat@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Part of the problem is with how ambiguous the "internet connection
    required"
    > listing on the box is. Required for what...to play online or for to play
    > the game at all? Neither one of those common assummptions is even
    accurate.
    > A much better listing would have been "needs to be activated over an
    > internet connection"

    True. Of course, if it said "needs to be activated over an internet
    connection", it might scare off some potential buyers, but by saying
    "internet connection required", Vivendi can get away with being technically
    accurate enough to avoid legality issues.

    > Somebody else responded in this thread with a simple "nope", seeming to
    > indicate that you can't do what the OP asked. Of course, he wasn't really
    > correct. It is very possible to "bypass a steam connection" once you have
    > activated the game with it.

    Yes, but in this day and age you need to do a little RESEARCH before making
    what is a reasonably expensive purchase. All the HL forums on the net have
    had at least one very long thread regarding the revelation that you needed
    net access for activation, even with the retail version of HL2.

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:01:37 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    <heismanpat@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Part of the problem is with how ambiguous the "internet connection required"
    >listing on the box is.

    It isn't ambiguous, it says in the requirements that it needs a net
    connection.

    Patrick Michael wrote:
    > Part of the problem is with how ambiguous the "internet connection required"
    > listing on the box is. Required for what...to play online or for to play
    > the game at all? Neither one of those common assummptions is even accurate.
    > A much better listing would have been "needs to be activated over an
    > internet connection"
    >
    > Somebody else responded in this thread with a simple "nope", seeming to
    > indicate that you can't do what the OP asked. Of course, he wasn't really
    > correct. It is very possible to "bypass a steam connection" once you have
    > activated the game with it.

    Yeah, by simply listing it in the "other" section its very ambiguous,
    which would be made less so if the requirements was in the same was as
    EA which lists multiplayer seperately from anything else.

    Andrew wrote:

    >>Part of the problem is with how ambiguous the "internet connection required"
    >>listing on the box is.
    >

    > It isn't ambiguous, it says in the requirements that it needs a net
    > connection.

    Yes, you're right, but you're missing the point entirely... :-)

    We're talking about the average consumer here, not clued-up computer
    techies who know to look out for these things. We also have to account
    for the fact that even if the consumer did the smart thing and ask, the
    shop assistants may be equally clueless, and are quite liable to say
    "Oh, don't worry, the internet connection is only for multiplayer".

    Should it happen? Of course not. But does it happen? Yes - Welcome to
    the real world.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Ben Cottrell wrote:

    > We're talking about the average consumer here, not clued-up computer
    > techies who know to look out for these things.

    We're also talking about it being 2005, where people's pets and 96 year
    old great grandmothers are all on the Intarweb.

    "Jason" <j.connon@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to bypass the Steam connection and play the game without
    > internet access?
    >
    > --
    > Jason

    No - an Internet Connection is mandatory to install the game and decrypt the
    files off the disc. It is also mandatory to download patches through Steam
    which will not be available as separate downloads or on a magazine cover
    disc
    so if you dont have access to a (at least) a 56k connection with no worrys
    about the phone bill I would say stay away from Half-Life 2 altogether.

    And Patrick Michaels comments about the reqirements being ambiguous
    are dead right - Valve have moved the goal posts and should have elaborated
    on the need for an Internet Connection in the requirements on the back of
    the box.

    Sleepy wrote:
    > "Jason" <j.connon@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > No - an Internet Connection is mandatory to install the game and decrypt the
    > files off the disc. It is also mandatory to download patches through Steam
    > which will not be available as separate downloads or on a magazine cover
    > disc

    Yeah, patches is something that i'd not thought about, but the original
    install of HL2 will work fine without any (at least in my experience) -
    well, as long as you install CS:Source alongside it due to a nice error
    in that hl2.ico is in the CS:Source .cab (whoops).

    > so if you dont have access to a (at least) a 56k connection with no worrys
    > about the phone bill I would say stay away from Half-Life 2 altogether.

    I wouldn't say stay away from it, its not too bad to install it, and
    after that you don't need to go near an internet connection afterwards.
    Admittedly the chances of someone not having at least 56k unmetered
    (through one of these monthly payment jobbies) is quite low nowadays so
    this won't apply to many anyway.

    In my local Game shop the employees where actualy telling everybody who
    bought the game that an interned connection is required to activate the
    game. The woman in fornt of me didnt even know if her son had the internet
    and just bought it anyway.

    Chris Hawley wrote:
    > Yeah, patches is something that i'd not thought about, but the original
    > install of HL2 will work fine without any (at least in my experience) -
    > well, as long as you install CS:Source alongside it due to a nice error
    > in that hl2.ico is in the CS:Source .cab (whoops).

    Not quite - Steam will only allow you to play the game if it thinks you
    have the latest version of the game (Which it will discover you don't
    when you activate from a fresh install).

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    > Chris Hawley wrote:
    >> Yeah, patches is something that i'd not thought about, but the original
    >> install of HL2 will work fine without any (at least in my experience) -
    actually a great many ppl have struggled with the 'stuttering bug' and have
    had to go through several updates to get a decent playing experience.
    whereas you used to go to the developers site for news of patch and
    download it - with Steam you just have to connect regular and you get
    updates whether you want to or not and then you have to find some refernce
    that tells you what the patch included.

    >> well, as long as you install CS:Source alongside it due to a nice error
    >> in that hl2.ico is in the CS:Source .cab (whoops).
    >
    > Not quite - Steam will only allow you to play the game if it thinks you
    > have the latest version of the game (Which it will discover you don't
    > when you activate from a fresh install).
    >
    > --
    > Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    yes most ppl that have tried the offline mode report that Steam eventually
    will keep wanting to go online and update.

    Sleepy wrote:

    >>>well, as long as you install CS:Source alongside it due to a nice error
    >>>in that hl2.ico is in the CS:Source .cab (whoops).
    >>
    >>Not quite - Steam will only allow you to play the game if it thinks you
    >>have the latest version of the game (Which it will discover you don't
    >>when you activate from a fresh install).
    >>

    > yes most ppl that have tried the offline mode report that Steam eventually
    > will keep wanting to go online and update.

    That shouldn't happen any more, the bug was fixed a while ago AFAIK

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    > Yes, but in this day and age you need to do a little RESEARCH before
    > making
    > what is a reasonably expensive purchase. All the HL forums on the net have
    > had at least one very long thread regarding the revelation that you needed
    > net access for activation, even with the retail version of HL2.

    The problem is that we're talking about who don't have an internet
    connection in their home. Of course you and I did our research, and rather
    easily, but I don't think that I'd go out of my way to drive to a friend's
    house or a library simply to "research" a game purchase. If the game had a
    bright green sticker on the front that said "Internet Access required to
    activate" then I would agree that the burden lies with the consumer. But
    when they don't explain why internet access is required, then it gets a lot
    more confusing for many consumers.

    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:01:37 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    > <heismanpat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Part of the problem is with how ambiguous the "internet connection
    >>required"
    >>listing on the box is.
    >
    > It isn't ambiguous, it says in the requirements that it needs a net
    > connection.

    Maybe "ambiguous" wasn't the best choice of words, but it is *misleading*,
    as you would see if you had quoted the rest of my post. I believe the US
    retail version of FarCry also said that an internet connection was
    required..of course, this is blatantly untrue for the single player game.
    Yes, yes, I know Ubi/EA/whatever the hell the conglomerate of the day is and
    Valve/Vivendi are different companies, but I really think Vivendi dropped
    the ball on being accurate in this case.

    > "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Yes, but in this day and age you need to do a little RESEARCH before
    > > making
    > > what is a reasonably expensive purchase. All the HL forums on the net
    have
    > > had at least one very long thread regarding the revelation that you
    needed
    > > net access for activation, even with the retail version of HL2.
    >
    > The problem is that we're talking about who don't have an internet
    > connection in their home. Of course you and I did our research, and
    rather
    > easily, but I don't think that I'd go out of my way to drive to a friend's
    > house or a library simply to "research" a game purchase. If the game had
    > bright green sticker on the front that said "Internet Access required to
    > activate" then I would agree that the burden lies with the consumer. But
    > when they don't explain why internet access is required, then it gets a
    lot
    > more confusing for many consumers.

    Yeah, well. Valve have raised their standards I guess. Their benchmark is
    that most people in the 21st century who have computers and want to play
    games (REAL games, not Solitare) have at least SOME kind of
    easily-accessable net access. Most people have, but a few do not. The ones
    that do outweight the ones that don't, a statistic Valve can afford to live
    with. Most developers can't, but then again, most developers don't have the
    resources Valve have at their disposal. I can kinda see their point.

    > Yeah, well. Valve have raised their standards I guess. Their benchmark is
    > that most people in the 21st century who have computers and want to play
    > games (REAL games, not Solitare) have at least SOME kind of
    > easily-accessable net access. Most people have, but a few do not. The ones
    > that do outweight the ones that don't, a statistic Valve can afford to
    > live
    > with. Most developers can't, but then again, most developers don't have
    > the
    > resources Valve have at their disposal. I can kinda see their point.

    I just don't see why they couldn't have put "to Activate" after "internet
    connection required", and made it more obvious. It wouldn't have really
    cost them anything, and if anything, probably would have gained more
    consumer trust.

    > "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Yeah, well. Valve have raised their standards I guess. Their benchmark
    is
    > > that most people in the 21st century who have computers and want to play
    > > games (REAL games, not Solitare) have at least SOME kind of
    > > easily-accessable net access. Most people have, but a few do not. The
    ones
    > > that do outweight the ones that don't, a statistic Valve can afford to
    > > live
    > > with. Most developers can't, but then again, most developers don't have
    > > the
    > > resources Valve have at their disposal. I can kinda see their point.
    >
    > I just don't see why they couldn't have put "to Activate" after "internet
    > connection required", and made it more obvious. It wouldn't have really
    > cost them anything, and if anything, probably would have gained more
    > consumer trust.

    Because by saying "Internet connection required", they are completely
    accurate. By adding the "activate word in front of it, that might confuse
    and hence deter potential impulse buyers. Blame Vivendi's marketing
    department.

    > Because by saying "Internet connection required", they are completely
    > accurate. By adding the "activate word in front of it, that might confuse
    > and hence deter potential impulse buyers. Blame Vivendi's marketing
    > department.

    I can't see how it could have confused people more than it already did.
    Sorry, but I just can't side with VIvendi here. We can agree to disagree.

    GFree wrote:
    > "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> LymanAlpha wrote:
    >>> On 1/4/2005 10:13 AM Jason brightened our day with:

    >>> Once you've gone through the validation of files you can play
    >>> offline.
    >>>
    >> yeah, you need an internet connection during the install (its one of
    >> the requirements listed on the box)
    >
    > Despite what common sense would suggest, a heck of a lot of people
    > don't do any research before laying down a wad of cash for a game.
    > Then they come home and discover that they can't play it for a lack
    > of hardware or, in this case, Internet access.
    >
    > No offence to the OP; all I'm saying is that things are definately not
    > simple with games anymore and people should read gaming forums and
    > such to learn what they can before a potential purchase. Saves
    > headaches later.

    I do have internet access. In fact, I've been a regular on-line gamer with
    the original Half-life (Demon UK) on my desktop. Problem is, I can't be
    arsed hooking up my laptop, which has Half-life installed. My desktop
    doesn't have the capability to handler HL2.

    When I can be arsed, I'll hook up the laptop. I was only asking for some
    possible clever way to avoid that.

    No harm done.

    --
    Jason

    Patrick Michael wrote:
    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:01:37 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    >><heismanpat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Part of the problem is with how ambiguous the "internet connection
    >>>required"
    >>>listing on the box is.
    >>
    >>It isn't ambiguous, it says in the requirements that it needs a net
    >>connection.
    >

    > Maybe "ambiguous" wasn't the best choice of words, but it is *misleading*,
    > as you would see if you had quoted the rest of my post. I believe the US
    > retail version of FarCry also said that an internet connection was
    > required..of course, this is blatantly untrue for the single player game.
    > Yes, yes, I know Ubi/EA/whatever the hell the conglomerate of the day is and
    > Valve/Vivendi are different companies, but I really think Vivendi dropped
    > the ball on being accurate in this case.

    No less accurate than Sierra/Dynamix was with Tribes.

    > "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Because by saying "Internet connection required", they are completely
    > > accurate. By adding the "activate word in front of it, that might
    confuse
    > > and hence deter potential impulse buyers. Blame Vivendi's marketing
    > > department.
    >
    > I can't see how it could have confused people more than it already did.
    > Sorry, but I just can't side with VIvendi here. We can agree to disagree.

    I prefer to be cynical and treat this as a marketing desicion for the lack
    of the word "activate".

    "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > No less accurate than Sierra/Dynamix was with Tribes.

    Maybe so (never played it), but that hardly is a good excuse.

    Patrick Michael wrote:
    > "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>No less accurate than Sierra/Dynamix was with Tribes.
    >

    > Maybe so (never played it), but that hardly is a good excuse.

    Both Tribes and Tribes 2 REQUIRED a net connection in order to play.
    Without it, all you could do way go through a few training missions at most.

    Neither placed any more emphasis about net connections on their boxes
    than Valve did.

    Noone complained.

    Polarhound wrote:
    > Patrick Michael wrote:
    >
    >> "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> No less accurate than Sierra/Dynamix was with Tribes.
    >>

    >> Maybe so (never played it), but that hardly is a good excuse.
    >>

    > Both Tribes and Tribes 2 REQUIRED a net connection in order to play.
    > Without it, all you could do way go through a few training missions at
    > most.

    Hm.. didn't Tribes and Tribes 2 have LAN capability?

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > Hm.. didn't Tribes and Tribes 2 have LAN capability?

    Yes, or at least Tribes did as we've had some LAN games of it here in
    our house :)

    Bazza wrote:

    >>yeah, you need an internet connection during the install (its one of the requirements listed on the box)
    >

    > NO IT'S NOT. My son brought HL2 3 days ago and NOWHERE, repeat, NOWHERE on
    > the box does it say that a internet connection is required.

    Yes, it is, on the back of the box, in the bottom-right corner there are
    4 boxes which list the minimum specifications ... the 4th box says
    "internet connection"

    > Not even in the small print that you need a magnifying glass to read.

    Well, it is small, but it is there.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote ...
    > Bazza wrote:
    >
    > >>yeah, you need an internet connection during the install (its one of the requirements listed on the box)
    > >

    > > NO IT'S NOT. My son brought HL2 3 days ago and NOWHERE, repeat, NOWHERE on
    > > the box does it say that a internet connection is required.
    >
    > Yes, it is, on the back of the box, in the bottom-right corner there are
    > 4 boxes which list the minimum specifications ... the 4th box says
    > "internet connection"
    >
    > > Not even in the small print that you need a magnifying glass to read.
    >
    > Well, it is small, but it is there.
    >
    > --
    > Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    I repeat, NOWHERE on the box does it say Internet Connection REQUIRED.

    Actually there are 6 "boxes" across the box near the bottom:

    VALVe -> SIERRA -> Vivendi Intl -> ATI -> CC -> M 17+ Rating

    Underneath that is the various copyright / trademark info.

    On the base of the box is the min / recommended system requirements but it does NOT
    say that a internet connection is REQUIRED.

    The closest it gets is -- "Game Experience May Change During Online Play". But that
    certainly does NOT say a internet connection is required to install the game.

    Now I'll admit that I knew a internet connection was required but that's not the point. It's
    simply isn't listed on the outside of the box. Perhaps I've got a dud box, hence, the small
    piece of paper inside the box -- which really looks like a typical "addendum".

    Cheers
    Barry...

    Bazza wrote:

    > I repeat, NOWHERE on the box does it say Internet Connection REQUIRED.
    >
    > Actually there are 6 "boxes" across the box near the bottom:
    >
    > VALVe -> SIERRA -> Vivendi Intl -> ATI -> CC -> M 17+ Rating
    >
    > Underneath that is the various copyright / trademark info.
    >
    > On the base of the box is the min / recommended system requirements but it does NOT
    > say that a internet connection is REQUIRED.
    >
    > The closest it gets is -- "Game Experience May Change During Online Play". But that
    > certainly does NOT say a internet connection is required to install the game.
    >
    > Now I'll admit that I knew a internet connection was required but that's not the point. It's
    > simply isn't listed on the outside of the box. Perhaps I've got a dud box, hence, the small
    > piece of paper inside the box -- which really looks like a typical "addendum".
    >
    > Cheers
    > Barry...

    It may be different on the US and UK versions, but I assure you that
    mine states an internet connection is required. There are 6 boxes on the
    DVD case that have the minmum spec, arranged as so:

    [OS] [Processor][Memory]
    [Graphics][HDD Space][Other]

    and its in the Other box that it states
    "Internet connection, DVD-ROM drive"

    which tells me that there's a need to have a DVD drive (as if the big
    thing saying PC-DVD on the front didn't) and a working internet connection.

    It may be, as you say, that they messed up and didn't put it on that
    particular run of boxes (if that's the case) but usually the piece of
    paper would be used for a manual ommission rather than a box info
    omission which would be covered by a sticker (at least in my experience).

    Either way if its not there its a bit of a dodgy issue.

    "Chris Hawley" <chris@blood-god.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in part...

    > It may be different on the US and UK versions, but I assure you that
    > mine states an internet connection is required. There are 6 boxes on the
    > DVD case that have the minmum spec, arranged as so:

    Purchase in Australia, *appears* to be the US box.

    > [OS] [Processor][Memory]
    > [Graphics][HDD Space][Other]
    >
    > and its in the Other box that it states
    > "Internet connection, DVD-ROM drive"
    >
    > which tells me that there's a need to have a DVD drive (as if the big
    > thing saying PC-DVD on the front didn't) and a working internet connection.

    CD version & not DVD ... he didn't want to pay extra for the DVD version.

    > It may be, as you say, that they messed up and didn't put it on that
    > particular run of boxes (if that's the case) but usually the piece of
    > paper would be used for a manual ommission rather than a box info
    > omission which would be covered by a sticker (at least in my experience).
    >
    > Either way if its not there its a bit of a dodgy issue.

    Only Vivendi's Australia sticker for their "Help Line" @ A$2.40 per min on
    the bottom left corner that did cover-up the part of the copyright / trademark
    info until I removed it.

    Although I/we knew a internet connection is required, according to Vivendi's
    website the 90 day return policy only applies to the US and not else where.
    Once the box is open we couldn't return it. So *IF* we had a PC without
    the internet my son would have wasted his money.

    But since we do I suppose it doesn't really matter ... just the principle.

    --
    Barry...

Internet Access Connection Games Steam Video Games