Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,,,, :) :)

Thanks for your reply!!!

The system is old and is running GREAT using W98SE;

o Packard Bell Legend 822 CDT ( Purchased in 1995)
o 32 MB RAM (originally 16MB)
o PB 600 MotherBoard
o Windows 98SE (originally Windows for Workgroups 3.1, Dos 6.2)
o BIOS upgraded to 1.2, all original devices found on
re-boot and working as expected
and-
CMOS was not reset to default.
o Aztech Sound Galaxy (Wahsington 16 chipset)

The sound board is working properly.
The sound board has a Rockweell Modem (14.4 AMSP) on COM1 (IRQ4)
The internal Rockwell Modem works as expectecd under W98SE.

While the 3.1 system was still being used an external modem "Diamond
SupraExpress 56e V.90 SUP2730" was connected to the DB9 port,
configured, and worked as expected under 3.1 and still works under
W98SE.

However, the modem DIAGNOSTICS do not work ( ERROR: "Already in USE.")
for either modem, unless the external modem is removed. This is what
forced a check in DEVICE MANAGER for these two devices and they both
are using the same IRQ.

On the older 3.1, if I remember correctly, I thought the DB9 was on
COM2 (IRQ3), but on the W98SE it is on COM3 (IRQ4), and the Rockwell
modem is on COM1 (IRQ4) , which is the same IRQ.

There are no conflicts reported by DEVICE MANAGER and both modems work
as expected but obviously only one at a time since they both have
the same IRQ. And, this is the problem. I would like to use both
modems if possible and at the same time,,,,(two seperate telecom
lines are available).

Can this can be solved by using the DEVICE MANAGER and
resetting the COM3 IRQ to 3 or some IRQ that is
available????

Or, under the original 3.1 was the DB9 on COM3 (IRQ4) to
begin with and I just did not notice it?????

If so, is this related to the 16550 compatible UART for
COM1 and COM3, where COM2 and COM4 may not
have a compatible 16550 UART??????

THANKS for your Help, Time, and Advise!!! :) :)

Jerry

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:26:47 -0500, Jerry <jglong3@<nospam>.com> had this to say and I had to reply
to it:

::Hello,,,, :) :)
::
::Thanks for your reply!!!
::
[...]

The internal modems normally use Com 1- IRQ 4 to make the modem work as above you need to try and
reassign the value in device manager under properties for that modem. If there is a conflict it
will tell you as you change the device settings (IRQs) etc. If it states it is showning no
conflicts then it should work properly.

Another trick you can try is to remove the modem and let windows redetect it and set it up for you.
You only need one modem.

Elector

"Jerry .com>" <jglong3@<nospam> wrote in message
<snip>

> Hello Elector,,,,
>
> OK,,,,THANKS for the further tips--------- I'll give those a try.
>
> Whould the following be a factor:
>
> Since flashing the BIOS chip with the 1.2 version for this
> morherboad and during boot the F2 for BIOS setting and CMOS was
> NOT SET to DEFAULTS!
>
> If this needs to be done using the F2, I see two prompts in the
> BIOS
> settings in ADVANCED related to DEFAULTS and I have no idea which
> one
> to use,,,can you advise? THANKS!!!
>
> I see there is no formal driver for any COM port reported by the
> DRIVER tab in DEVICE MANAGER. I have no idea what this means.
>
> "NO DRIVER FILES ARE REQUIRED OR HAVE BEEN LOADED
> FOR THIS DEVICE."
>
> And, based on your setup with modems (COM1 and COM5 with unique
> IRQs)
> and that both cannot be used at the same time, plus if I understand
> driver issues:
>
> When the modem hardware generates an interrupt the initially
> executed code cannot handle more than one modem
> active at a time. If this is true, the code I am refering to
> is the code pointed to in the RAM address for that IRQ.
>
> Or, when one modem goes active, no other modem can go
> active on any com port which is detected by the OP SYS, some
> driver, and/or interrupt level code(????).
>
> Otherwise, I'll keep this situation in mind and look to see if a PCI
> USB/FireWire board can help so that, if possible more than one
> modem
> can be used at the same time.
>
> THANKS for your advice, time and HELP!!!!!
>
> Jerry

Jerry:

You cannot use two modem at the same time. If you disable the
Automatic PnP in the BIOS you can then assign the devices as you want
instead of the system doing it for you.

You should have the BIOS set to "Default" and make sure the "AUTO"
detect is listed for your hd and other devices. (Floppy etc)
You then disable the Automatic PnP Detect and then restart the
machine.

See if that helps.

Elector

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:21:05 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>"Jerry .com>" <jglong3@<nospam> wrote in message
><snip>
>>
>> Hello Elector,,,,
>>
>> OK,,,,THANKS for the further tips--------- I'll give those a try.
>>
>> Whould the following be a factor:
>>
>> Since flashing the BIOS chip with the 1.2 version for this
>> morherboad and during boot the F2 for BIOS setting and CMOS was
>> NOT SET to DEFAULTS!
>>
>> If this needs to be done using the F2, I see two prompts in the
>> BIOS
>> settings in ADVANCED related to DEFAULTS and I have no idea which
>> one
>> to use,,,can you advise? THANKS!!!
>>
>> I see there is no formal driver for any COM port reported by the
>> DRIVER tab in DEVICE MANAGER. I have no idea what this means.
>>
>> "NO DRIVER FILES ARE REQUIRED OR HAVE BEEN LOADED
>> FOR THIS DEVICE."
>>
>> And, based on your setup with modems (COM1 and COM5 with unique
>> IRQs)
>> and that both cannot be used at the same time, plus if I understand
>> driver issues:
>>
>> When the modem hardware generates an interrupt the initially
>> executed code cannot handle more than one modem
>> active at a time. If this is true, the code I am refering to
>> is the code pointed to in the RAM address for that IRQ.
>>
>> Or, when one modem goes active, no other modem can go
>> active on any com port which is detected by the OP SYS, some
>> driver, and/or interrupt level code(????).
>>
>> Otherwise, I'll keep this situation in mind and look to see if a PCI
>> USB/FireWire board can help so that, if possible more than one
>> modem
>> can be used at the same time.
>>
>> THANKS for your advice, time and HELP!!!!!
>>
>> Jerry
>>

>Jerry:
>
>You cannot use two modem at the same time. If you disable the
>Automatic PnP in the BIOS you can then assign the devices as you want
>instead of the system doing it for you.
>
>You should have the BIOS set to "Default" and make sure the "AUTO"
>detect is listed for your hd and other devices. (Floppy etc)
>You then disable the Automatic PnP Detect and then restart the
>machine.
>
>See if that helps.
>
>Elector

Hello Elector,,,, :) :)

In the BIOS SETUP (F2), I see the AUTO DETECT for DISK, FLOOPY,etc.
as well as the AUTO PNP,,,no problem there, seems simple enough!
Setting the PNP stuff is next,,,,,,I am not at the site for that
computer and I'll let you know what happened tomorrow.

However, in reference to the DEFAULT setting for the BIOS setup using
F2:

I see two prompts in the BIOS settings in ADVANCED related to
DEFAULTS and I have no idea which one to use,,,can you advise?

or does it matter,,,can both be set to DEFAULT??????

I am not at that computer site now and I appologize for not having the
precise DEFAULT statements that I mentioned.

And, please excuse me for lingering on the dual running modems,,,,I am
trying to absorb as much of this new stuff as I can. I guess I'll just
have to get the idea of dual running modems via BIOS automatic stuff
out of mind and site.The reason relative to the dual modems is from
previous long ago experience when many Interrupts started evolving in
computer hardware architecture. At that time many modems could be hung
on the bus and all used at the same time for different process IDs
that required a modem. It was not cost effective to purchase another 3
million dollar computer for another required modem. :) :) :)

We are a few hundred miles upland from Mobile and the Florida
Panhandle coast but as I type this we are in the middle of a STRONG
remaining IVAN (The Terrible!). If I can and things still exist I'll
let you know the results tommorrow on the PNP stuff

THANKS for your time and advice!!!! :) :) :)

Jerry

"Jerry .com>" <jglong3@<nospam> wrote in message
<snip>
> And, please excuse me for lingering on the dual running modems,,,,I
> am
> trying to absorb as much of this new stuff as I can. I guess I'll
> just
> have to get the idea of dual running modems via BIOS automatic stuff
> out of mind and site.The reason relative to the dual modems is from
> previous long ago experience when many Interrupts started evolving
> in
> computer hardware architecture. At that time many modems could be
> hung
> on the bus and all used at the same time for different process IDs
> that required a modem. It was not cost effective to purchase another
> 3
> million dollar computer for another required modem. :) :) :)
>
> We are a few hundred miles upland from Mobile and the Florida
> Panhandle coast but as I type this we are in the middle of a STRONG
> remaining IVAN (The Terrible!). If I can and things still exist
> I'll
> let you know the results tommorrow on the PNP stuff
>

> THANKS for your time and advice!!!! :) :) :)
>
> Jerry

Hi Jerry:
A few years ago there was a process called shot-gun dial-up where the
ISP's were letting a person dual hit their modem pool to acquire a
better speed. There is also a modem pool where businesses had a single
dial up/out for all users on the network. (You still needed more than
a one line home or business) in order to do this.

If your home has dual lines and separate numbers I don't believe the
modem in your computer and the modem on the external port is not
stopped from using one line or the other as long as its free to do so.

But there really is no reason I can see that you would want to.

In the bios you set it as default and the default values will be used.
Makes no difference how many times the word or option is to use
default it would be as stated "Default" which in some cases you would
not want to use especially if the system had different devices added
to it outside of the original equipment.

Elector

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello Elector ,,, :) :) :)

Using the PB 600 MotherBoard and the Phoenix BIOS Version 4.04 AGOURA
Release 1.20:

The following BIOS SETUP (F2) are related to the two phrases that I
thought contained the word DEFAULT but are related to resetting data:

In ADVANCED:

Reset Configuration Data [No]

In EXIT:

Get Default Values

Now that I look at these and read stuff from searches via GOOGLE the
ADVANCE Reset is the one I used----set it to [YES].

Based on information in the SETUP and GOOGLE found documents for the
use of the phrase in EXIT and it appears to be a READ from CMOS.

At any rate I selected both and the system was rebooted. The system
came up and ran as expected. Then I began to re-work the com port
situation.

Many situations including turning off PNP in the BIOS SETUP
were selected but would not allow any RESET of a COM port to
another IRQ or ADDRESS.
This was the case no matter if the change was attempted in the
BIOS SETUP or under Winows 98 SE using DEVICE MANAGER. Under
W98SE even with the PNP off, the DEVICE MANAGER would not allow
the IRQ or ADDRESS to be modified and produced the message:

"THIS REASOURCE SETTING CANNOT BE MODIFIED."

So here is what finally made the external modem reset to use
COM2(IRQ3):

Using W98SE and DEVICE MANAGER:

1. Under COM Ports: REMOVED the COM3 device
2. Under Modems: REMOVED the external modem that
was on COM3
NOTE: Did not physically remove the
external modem.
Did not remove the drivers
for this external DIAMOND
SUPRA EXPRESS modem.
3. Rebooted the system.

W98SE found the external modem and reconfigured the external modem to
use COM2 (IRQ3).

Also, W98SE did define COM3 (IRQ4) but with COM3 empty.

System runs as expected and both modems can now be used at the same
time by using two seperate land lines.

What is strange is that the SYSTEM CREDENTIALS does not define a COM3
port and when looking at the MotherBoard I do not see any apparent
connector for another COM port. All are accounted for---I think! But I
can live with this situation.

If you have any insite about why the COM3 is even configured that will
be great,,,,could it be the "joy stick" (DB9) port on the AZTECH Sound
card", etc.

THANKS for your time, help, and advice!! :) :) :)

Jerry

> Hello Elector ,,, :) :) :)
>
> Using the PB 600 MotherBoard and the Phoenix BIOS Version 4.04
> AGOURA
> Release 1.20:
>
> The following BIOS SETUP (F2) are related to the two phrases that I
> thought contained the word DEFAULT but are related to resetting
> data:
>
> In ADVANCED:
>
> Reset Configuration Data [No]
>
> In EXIT:
>
> Get Default Values
>
> Now that I look at these and read stuff from searches via GOOGLE the
> ADVANCE Reset is the one I used----set it to [YES].
>
> Based on information in the SETUP and GOOGLE found documents for the
> use of the phrase in EXIT and it appears to be a READ from CMOS.
>
> At any rate I selected both and the system was rebooted. The system
> came up and ran as expected. Then I began to re-work the com port
> situation.
>
> Many situations including turning off PNP in the BIOS SETUP
> were selected but would not allow any RESET of a COM port to
> another IRQ or ADDRESS.
> This was the case no matter if the change was attempted in the
> BIOS SETUP or under Winows 98 SE using DEVICE MANAGER. Under
> W98SE even with the PNP off, the DEVICE MANAGER would not allow
> the IRQ or ADDRESS to be modified and produced the message:
>
> "THIS REASOURCE SETTING CANNOT BE MODIFIED."
>
> So here is what finally made the external modem reset to use
> COM2(IRQ3):
>
> Using W98SE and DEVICE MANAGER:
>
> 1. Under COM Ports: REMOVED the COM3 device
> 2. Under Modems: REMOVED the external modem that
> was on COM3
> NOTE: Did not physically remove the
> external modem.
> Did not remove the drivers
> for this external DIAMOND
> SUPRA EXPRESS modem.
> 3. Rebooted the system.
>
> W98SE found the external modem and reconfigured the external modem
> use COM2 (IRQ3).
>
> Also, W98SE did define COM3 (IRQ4) but with COM3 empty.
>
> System runs as expected and both modems can now be used at the same
> time by using two seperate land lines.
>
> What is strange is that the SYSTEM CREDENTIALS does not define a
> COM3
> port and when looking at the MotherBoard I do not see any apparent
> connector for another COM port. All are accounted for---I think! But
> can live with this situation.
>
> If you have any insite about why the COM3 is even configured that
> will
> be great,,,,could it be the "joy stick" (DB9) port on the AZTECH
> Sound
> card", etc.
>
> THANKS for your time, help, and advice!! :) :) :)
>
> Jerry

Hi Jerry:

I am glad it finally worked out. The system is set to use phantom
ports as I stated one modem was on a com port not normally assigned to
the device. That is why I told you to look at the Zoom Modem site and
look at the manual there as to how to change them to work.

And it was my pleasure to assist.

Elector

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>Hi Jerry:
>
>I am glad it finally worked out. The system is set to use phantom
>ports as I stated one modem was on a com port not normally assigned to
>the device. That is why I told you to look at the Zoom Modem site and
>look at the manual there as to how to change them to work.
>
>And it was my pleasure to assist.
>
>Elector

Hello Elector,,,, :) :)

This is a done deal,,,,,all is working now, and I have since REMOVED
the COM3 device with DEVICE MANAGER with success and it is NOT
re-defined on a reboot.

OK about the PHANTOM thing---I will take a look at that stuff,,,,,,,,,
This external Diamond SupraExpress Modem is a PNP device. The manual
does not describe dip switch or jumper settings in the modem to manage
the COM PORT or IRQ.

,,,,and THANKS for all of your time, help, and advice!!! : ) : )

Jerry

"Jerry .com>" <jglong3@<nospam> wrote in message
<snip>
> Hello Elector,,,, :) :)
>
> This is a done deal,,,,,all is working now, and I have since REMOVED
> the COM3 device with DEVICE MANAGER with success and it is NOT
> re-defined on a reboot.
>
> OK about the PHANTOM thing---I will take a look at that
> stuff,,,,,,,,,
> This external Diamond SupraExpress Modem is a PNP device. The manual
> does not describe dip switch or jumper settings in the modem to
> manage
> the COM PORT or IRQ.
>
> ,,,,and THANKS for all of your time, help, and advice!!! : )
> : )
>

> Jerry

Hi Jerry:

The Diamond Supra Express may be just as you stated PnP and there
would be no need for a jumper/dip switch. I was referring to the Zoom
Telephonic and US Robotics modems that I use. They have such jumpers
and are the new v.92 modems.

Elector

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:14:39 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>Hi Jerry:
>
>The Diamond Supra Express may be just as you stated PnP and there
>would be no need for a jumper/dip switch. I was referring to the Zoom
>Telephonic and US Robotics modems that I use. They have such jumpers
>and are the new v.92 modems.
>
>Elector

Hello Elector,,,,

OK,,,and THANKS again!!!! :) :)