Driver Problems

I have a Radeon 9000 PRO video card with no problems. However there are a
few games I have which I feel would work better for me if I install the
latest driver for my card. However, when I install the new driver (either
by using ATI's website or Windows Update) my operating system runs really
slow -- all programs creep. As soon as I revert back to the older driver,
everything is OK again. Microsoft and ATI both will not acknowledge my
problem. Anyone have similar problems and know of a solution? Thanks!

Mary

"The Kruegers" <NOSPAM@dejazzd.com> wrote in message
> I have a Radeon 9000 PRO video card with no problems. However there are a
> few games I have which I feel would work better for me if I install the
> latest driver for my card. However, when I install the new driver (either
> by using ATI's website or Windows Update) my operating system runs really
> slow -- all programs creep. As soon as I revert back to the older driver,
> everything is OK again. Microsoft and ATI both will not acknowledge my
> problem. Anyone have similar problems and know of a solution? Thanks!

I have the same card as you and have Catalyst 4.3 installed. I also use Via
4 in 1 drivers v4.35 and my system is stable. I have an Asus board that is
supposed to support a 4X card which the Radeon 9000 Pro is supposed to
support, but it only runs at 2X but that is fast enough for me.
What drivers are you using? I don't know what kind of games you play. I
mainly play adventure type games and they are not as demanding as some RPG
and action type games. I am quite satisfied with my Radeon 9000 Pro.

Mary

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 03:21:12 GMT, "Mary" <dontspm@nono.com> wrote:

>"The Kruegers" <NOSPAM@dejazzd.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Radeon 9000 PRO video card with no problems. However there are a
>> few games I have which I feel would work better for me if I install the
>> latest driver for my card. However, when I install the new driver (either
>> by using ATI's website or Windows Update) my operating system runs really
>> slow -- all programs creep. As soon as I revert back to the older driver,
>> everything is OK again. Microsoft and ATI both will not acknowledge my
>> problem. Anyone have similar problems and know of a solution? Thanks!
>
>I have the same card as you and have Catalyst 4.3 installed. I also use Via
>4 in 1 drivers v4.35 and my system is stable. I have an Asus board that is
>supposed to support a 4X card which the Radeon 9000 Pro is supposed to
>support, but it only runs at 2X but that is fast enough for me.
>What drivers are you using? I don't know what kind of games you play. I
>mainly play adventure type games and they are not as demanding as some RPG
>and action type games. I am quite satisfied with my Radeon 9000 Pro.
>
>Mary

Hi, Mary, how's it going?

The Kruegers: I can see two problems with what you've been doing:
firstly, _never_ install drivers for non-M$ devices from Windows
Update. At best, they're not going to be up-to-date, and I've seen
too many posts (not just with Ati cards) where doing this has messed
up people's systems.

Secondly, it's not a good idea to just install drivers at random.
Generally speaking, most people seem to get by installing newer
drivers over old, although I would _always_ recommend uninstalling old
drivers and cleaning your system even for upgrades, but if you're
downgrading drivers, you _must_ uninstall and clean your system. In
an upgrade install, newer files will (hopefully) always replace old
ones; if you're downgrading, this won't necessarily happen, and you
can wind up with an incompatible mix of files.

In addition, you need to make sure you have the correct chipset
drivers for your mobo and DX 9 installed.

You also need to give more information about your system and, what
drivers you've actually installed/tried to install, and how you've
done/tried to do it, if you want people here to help you.

patrickp

Mary

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 03:21:12 GMT, "Mary" <dontspm@nono.com> wrote:
>
> >"The Kruegers" <NOSPAM@dejazzd.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a Radeon 9000 PRO video card with no problems. However there are
> >> few games I have which I feel would work better for me if I install the
> >> latest driver for my card. However, when I install the new driver
(either
> >> by using ATI's website or Windows Update) my operating system runs
really
> >> slow -- all programs creep. As soon as I revert back to the older
driver,
> >> everything is OK again. Microsoft and ATI both will not acknowledge my
> >> problem. Anyone have similar problems and know of a solution? Thanks!
> >
> >I have the same card as you and have Catalyst 4.3 installed. I also use
Via
> >4 in 1 drivers v4.35 and my system is stable. I have an Asus board that
is
> >supposed to support a 4X card which the Radeon 9000 Pro is supposed to
> >support, but it only runs at 2X but that is fast enough for me.
> >What drivers are you using? I don't know what kind of games you play. I
> >mainly play adventure type games and they are not as demanding as some
RPG
> >and action type games. I am quite satisfied with my Radeon 9000 Pro.
> >
> >Mary
> >

> Hi, Mary, how's it going?

Hi Patrick, everything is ok. You gave me such helpful advice when I was
installing/uninstalling my ATI 9000 Pro to get it to run properly. You sure
know a lot about installling/uninstalling video cards and the various
drivers.
As I said above, my card still doesn't run at 4X as it should, but after
trying various suggestions from people, including yourself, I decided not to
worry about it any more. It runs at 2X and runs all the games I want to
play, but I don't play real demanding games anyway, so its fine. I just
built a new system to play older DOS games and earlier Windows games out of
old parts and my previous ATX case and a friend send me her old board which
has a problem with AGP slot but is ok for everything else. So I bought a
used ATI PCI 4 MB card and its fine for my purposes.

Nice to see you Patrick.

Mary

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:23:24 GMT, "Mary" <dontspm@nono.com> wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

<snip>

>> Hi, Mary, how's it going?
>
>Hi Patrick, everything is ok. You gave me such helpful advice when I was
>installing/uninstalling my ATI 9000 Pro to get it to run properly. You sure
>know a lot about installling/uninstalling video cards and the various
>drivers.
>As I said above, my card still doesn't run at 4X as it should, but after
>trying various suggestions from people, including yourself, I decided not to
>worry about it any more. It runs at 2X and runs all the games I want to
>play, but I don't play real demanding games anyway, so its fine. I just
>built a new system to play older DOS games and earlier Windows games out of
>old parts and my previous ATX case and a friend send me her old board which
>has a problem with AGP slot but is ok for everything else. So I bought a
>used ATI PCI 4 MB card and its fine for my purposes.
>
>Nice to see you Patrick.
>
>Mary

:)

patrickp