Profiles & Security- cannot load local profile

a b 8 Security
January 31, 2005 2:59:02 PM

I'm setting up a brand new Dell Optiplex GX280. I've got 2 of them on my
bench that are nearly identical (asides from DVD on one and CDRW on the
other). I've booted up and done the initial windows setup, choosing a
password for the Administrator account and entering in a generic user of
"Station1". Everything seems to go fine with connecting to our local
network and internet. I've run into a problem twice on the one machine (dvd
drive) that will be the server. After making some changes to file sharing
(I've done this on MANY other Dell Machines) I will reboot 1 or 2 times and
get the following messages on what would normally be the login screen.
"Cannot find the Local Profile, Logging in with a temporary profile." This
window has a seconds timer that counts down 30 seconds. If I leave it
another mesage comes up saying "Cannot Load the Users profile, but windows
has logged you on with default profile". Another few seconds counts down
and windows desktop appears, but no icons or start menu. I essentially have
to force a reboot, only to get the same problem.
I ran a drive diagnostic per Dell's recommendation, came up ok. I
reformatted the drive and reloaded windows, all fine. As soon as I repeated
the last few steps I had taken before, same problem. Here's what lead up to
the issue.

1) Right click C Drive- set sharing on. Will see the permissions being
changed.
2) Go to Tools | Folder Options | View Tab | and turn off Simple File Sharing
3) Right click back on c drive- go to Sharing and Security | System |
Advanced | Administrator is highlighted and set to all files, subfolders, and
files. Check the "Replace permission entries on all child objects". Click
ok and the admin permissions will be set to files and folders on the drive.

I've done this many many times with no problems. I've been working with
machines from Dell with SP2 already on them for the last month or so with no
problems. I tried the same series of steps on the similar workstation
machine (also a GX280) with no problems. I did not do the windows updates
before hand on either machine. I've done the system level diagnostics
included with the machine with no errors.

Any thoughts on what I'm missing here?
-Beth
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 31, 2005 6:03:03 PM

Beth,

I am having the same problem and I am stumped as to an answer!

I went to click on the internet (AOL Icon), and then the whole computer
froze. When I rebooted my comp, (emachines), I had the same difficulty with
my user profile as you did. I am currently in a generic profile and cannot
access my "Brian" profile. However, my wife's profile and all "shared"
document are OK. My documents file, however, is no where to be found.

Did I get a worm, virus, or maybe some spyware??? I am SOOOO confused right
now...

Any help anyone could give would be appreciated.
Brian Hickman

"Ehstetson" wrote:

> I'm setting up a brand new Dell Optiplex GX280. I've got 2 of them on my
> bench that are nearly identical (asides from DVD on one and CDRW on the
> other). I've booted up and done the initial windows setup, choosing a
> password for the Administrator account and entering in a generic user of
> "Station1". Everything seems to go fine with connecting to our local
> network and internet. I've run into a problem twice on the one machine (dvd
> drive) that will be the server. After making some changes to file sharing
> (I've done this on MANY other Dell Machines) I will reboot 1 or 2 times and
> get the following messages on what would normally be the login screen.
> "Cannot find the Local Profile, Logging in with a temporary profile." This
> window has a seconds timer that counts down 30 seconds. If I leave it
> another mesage comes up saying "Cannot Load the Users profile, but windows
> has logged you on with default profile". Another few seconds counts down
> and windows desktop appears, but no icons or start menu. I essentially have
> to force a reboot, only to get the same problem.
> I ran a drive diagnostic per Dell's recommendation, came up ok. I
> reformatted the drive and reloaded windows, all fine. As soon as I repeated
> the last few steps I had taken before, same problem. Here's what lead up to
> the issue.
>
> 1) Right click C Drive- set sharing on. Will see the permissions being
> changed.
> 2) Go to Tools | Folder Options | View Tab | and turn off Simple File Sharing
> 3) Right click back on c drive- go to Sharing and Security | System |
> Advanced | Administrator is highlighted and set to all files, subfolders, and
> files. Check the "Replace permission entries on all child objects". Click
> ok and the admin permissions will be set to files and folders on the drive.
>
> I've done this many many times with no problems. I've been working with
> machines from Dell with SP2 already on them for the last month or so with no
> problems. I tried the same series of steps on the similar workstation
> machine (also a GX280) with no problems. I did not do the windows updates
> before hand on either machine. I've done the system level diagnostics
> included with the machine with no errors.
>
> Any thoughts on what I'm missing here?
> -Beth

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 5, 2005 10:23:01 AM

OK, Now the problem is getting worse...as each time I log on the settings are
reset. I have even created a new account and the same thing happens...but my
wife's account is still fine.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

!