AIW 8500 TV Tuner Problem

Recently my ATI 8500 AIW TV tuner stopped working.

Tuner worked fine last time I checked it but now all I get is garbled picture, sound is ok. Video input and Video card
parts work fine. Tried to reinitialize the tuner but it says there are no channels found. Cable works fine hooked to a
regular TV. Using WinXP and original software that came with card.

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Slim

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning."
- Rich Cook

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:19:19 -0700, Nevada Slim
<nevada_slim@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Recently my ATI 8500 AIW TV tuner stopped working.
>
>Tuner worked fine last time I checked it but now all I get is garbled picture, sound is ok. Video input and Video card
>parts work fine. Tried to reinitialize the tuner but it says there are no channels found. Cable works fine hooked to a
>regular TV. Using WinXP and original software that came with card.
>
>Any ideas or help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Slim
>

> "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
>build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
>trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
>winning."
> - Rich Cook

Where are you posting from, Slim? The reason I ask is that if you
live anywhere that doesn't use NTSC as its video standard (i.e, most
of the world, using NTSC-J, PAL or SECAM), installing DX9.0b will
break your tuner in W2K and XP.

If that's so, there is a fix available at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8dfd1b6d-e177-4a0e-91d0-b4310675b02b&displaylang=en

It's a pity that, nearly a year after releasing DX9.0b, M$ still
hasn't got around to warning users downloading it about this. They
also don't make the fix easy to find. Ah, well, I suppose expecting
responsibility from Billy Goates is like expecting intelligent comment
from George Bush... ;-)

patrickp

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:34:24 +0100, patrickp <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:19:19 -0700, Nevada Slim
><nevada_slim@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Recently my ATI 8500 AIW TV tuner stopped working.
>>
>>Tuner worked fine last time I checked it but now all I get is garbled picture, sound is ok. Video input and Video card
>>parts work fine. Tried to reinitialize the tuner but it says there are no channels found. Cable works fine hooked to a
>>regular TV. Using WinXP and original software that came with card.
>>
>>Any ideas or help will be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Slim
>>

>> "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
>>build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
>>trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
>>winning."
>> - Rich Cook
>

>Where are you posting from, Slim? The reason I ask is that if you
>live anywhere that doesn't use NTSC as its video standard (i.e, most
>of the world, using NTSC-J, PAL or SECAM), installing DX9.0b will
>break your tuner in W2K and XP.
>
>If that's so, there is a fix available at
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8dfd1b6d-e177-4a0e-91d0-b4310675b02b&displaylang=en
>
>It's a pity that, nearly a year after releasing DX9.0b, M$ still
>hasn't got around to warning users downloading it about this. They
>also don't make the fix easy to find. Ah, well, I suppose expecting
>responsibility from Billy Goates is like expecting intelligent comment
>from George Bush... ;-)
>
>patrickp
>
>patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Ran the patch but it did not help. I am in the USA.

Thanks for your help.

Slim

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning."
- Rich Cook

I hate to say it, but I'm in the exact same situation. I'm currently
in the process of making a Ghost boot disk so that I can image my
current config. I'm going to format and reinstall Windows XP pro
without reinstalling DirectX 9.0b just to see what happens. If that
doesn't solve the problem (as suggested), I can restore my existing
setup and not be any worse for ware.

I can't believe this problem is STILL not resolved. The damn tuner
cards aren't cheap. Why the hell can't ATI fix this!!!

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 04:50:12 -0700, Nevada Slim