Guest can't connect to internet

See also my 1/31/05 post titled "Restrict file/folder/program access."

I have 2 XP (v5.1) User accounts on my home PC: Administrator, and Guest.
Administrator can connect to the internet, but Guest cannot. The internet
connection is on the Start menu for guest, but is gray font isn't a live
selection. When Guest double-clicks on the desktop shortcut to the
connection, nothing happens.

My current workaround: connect as Administrator, then switch user to Guest,
but this is a problem when the Admin isn't present to connect/disconnect.

Thanks in advance. :)
3 answers Last reply
More about guest connect internet

    Anonymous J. wrote:
    > See also my 1/31/05 post titled "Restrict file/folder/program access."
    >
    > I have 2 XP (v5.1) User accounts on my home PC: Administrator, and
    > Guest. Administrator can connect to the internet, but Guest cannot.
    > The internet connection is on the Start menu for guest, but is gray
    > font isn't a live selection. When Guest double-clicks on the desktop
    > shortcut to the connection, nothing happens.
    >
    > My current workaround: connect as Administrator, then switch user to
    > Guest, but this is a problem when the Admin isn't present to
    > connect/disconnect.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. :)

    Rather than using guest, I'd create a limited user account & have "guests"
    use that. and then disable guest. You could call it "Visitor" or whatever
    makes sense for you.

    stuckmoto wrote:
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    >> Anonymous J. wrote:
    >>> See also my 1/31/05 post titled "Restrict file/folder/program
    >>> access."
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 XP (v5.1) User accounts on my home PC: Administrator, and
    >>> Guest. Administrator can connect to the internet, but Guest cannot.
    >>> The internet connection is on the Start menu for guest, but is gray
    >>> font isn't a live selection. When Guest double-clicks on the
    >>> desktop shortcut to the connection, nothing happens.
    >>>
    >>> My current workaround: connect as Administrator, then switch user to
    >>> Guest, but this is a problem when the Admin isn't present to
    >>> connect/disconnect.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance. :)
    >>
    >> Rather than using guest, I'd create a limited user account & have
    >> "guests"
    >> use that. and then disable guest. You could call it "Visitor" or
    >> whatever
    >> makes sense for you.
    >>
    >> I'm having the same problem. I thought "Guests" were supposed to
    >> have access to the net. I had to use the workaround also. What is
    >> the sense in having a guest account with this problem? There's gotta
    >> be a way.

    If you have a broadband/always on connection, I imagine they would.
    Guest is an extremely limited account. Keep it disabled, and set up your own
    limited user "visitor" account.

Connection Internet Windows XP