what would make a video card......

what would make a video card do this.

a mate will be playing a game, everything is fine, then about 15-20 minutes
in the frame rate will totally die. the games are perfect until then, nice
and silky smooth.

his system is a xp3200+, 1gig ram, ati9600xt (latest drivers), no irq
conflicts or freaked out settings.

it does this with ALL his games.

any advice appreciated!

spagman

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I don't think the AMD's have throttling only P4's. It is most likely the
card.

Randy

"Spagman" <thespagman2000@NOSPAM!!!!!yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> what would make a video card do this.
>
> a mate will be playing a game, everything is fine, then about 15-20
minutes
> in the frame rate will totally die. the games are perfect until then, nice
> and silky smooth.
>
> his system is a xp3200+, 1gig ram, ati9600xt (latest drivers), no irq
> conflicts or freaked out settings.
>
> it does this with ALL his games.
>
> any advice appreciated!
>
> spagman

"Spagman" <thespagman2000@NOSPAM!!!!!yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> what would make a video card do this.
>
> a mate will be playing a game, everything is fine, then about 15-20
> minutes
> in the frame rate will totally die. the games are perfect until then, nice
> and silky smooth.
>
> his system is a xp3200+, 1gig ram, ati9600xt (latest drivers), no irq
> conflicts or freaked out settings.
>
> it does this with ALL his games.
>
> any advice appreciated!
>
> spagman

It is not clear if you mean the "game freezes" or the "frame rate
decreases".

If you are saying that it freezes, you may want to check the temperatures.
If the case temperature is too high right after a crash, improve case
cooling and see if that makes a difference.

If you are saying that the frame rate drops, it MAY be that the CPU is
heating up and engages throttling. Although, I am not sure if that CPU has
throttling capability.

Navid wrote:
> "Spagman" <thespagman2000@NOSPAM!!!!!yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> what would make a video card do this.
>>
>> a mate will be playing a game, everything is fine, then about 15-20
>> minutes
>> in the frame rate will totally die. the games are perfect until
>> then, nice and silky smooth.
>>
>> his system is a xp3200+, 1gig ram, ati9600xt (latest drivers), no irq
>> conflicts or freaked out settings.
>>
>> it does this with ALL his games.
>>
>> any advice appreciated!
>>
>> spagman
>
> It is not clear if you mean the "game freezes" or the "frame rate
> decreases".
>
> If you are saying that it freezes, you may want to check the
> temperatures. If the case temperature is too high right after a
> crash, improve case cooling and see if that makes a difference.
>
> If you are saying that the frame rate drops, it MAY be that the CPU is
> heating up and engages throttling. Although, I am not sure if that
> CPU has throttling capability.

From what I've been reading, it isn't so much the XP3200+ on it's own,
it's the motherboards capability to throttle the cpu and fan on the fly
as needed. Some P4's will throttle down on overtemp, not all. And even
those can be throttled if the motherboard has the functions. So, why
not the same for the AMD's?
McG.

CannonFodder

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

"Spagman" <thespagman2000@NOSPAM!!!!!yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> what would make a video card do this.
>
> a mate will be playing a game, everything is fine, then about 15-20
minutes
> in the frame rate will totally die. the games are perfect until then, nice
> and silky smooth.
>
> his system is a xp3200+, 1gig ram, ati9600xt (latest drivers), no irq
> conflicts or freaked out settings.
>
> it does this with ALL his games.
>
> any advice appreciated!
>
> spagman

Do you have the overdrive function enabled?
If you card starts to overheat then I think that overdrive may slow the gpu
down to protect it's self.
Check to cooling fan is not obstructed and if possible leave a slot free
between the video card and any other pci card installed.

'fodder

---
Outgoing mail is free from nasty things that can make your computer go all
wibbly.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:26:26 GMT, "Spagman"
<thespagman2000@NOSPAM!!!!!yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>what would make a video card do this.

>a mate will be playing a game, everything is fine, then about 15-20 minutes
>in the frame rate will totally die. the games are perfect until then, nice
>and silky smooth.

>his system is a xp3200+, 1gig ram, ati9600xt (latest drivers), no irq
>conflicts or freaked out settings.

>it does this with ALL his games.

>any advice appreciated!

>spagman

Wot MOBO, Memory, O/S ?
BoroLad

sounds like a simple videocard or cpu overheat issue, as suggested. But my
money's on the videocard. Check its fan is actually working, if so - get
some in/out air circulation going.