Can't enable fast user switching

(I posted this question previously on the XP Configuration/support newsgroup,
and apologize if posting it here too is a breach of etiquette.)

I have a new Dell laptop (inspiron 9200) with 1 GB of RAM running XP Pro. I
cannot turn on fast user switching. When I turn it on, either using the
check box in the Users control panel applet under "login" or by editting the
registry directly (the HKLM\software\microsoft\windows
nt\currentversion\winlogon\allowmultipleTSSession setting) the change doesn't
stick - the registry entry or the check box reverts to the zero or unchecked
state.

The computer is not part of a domain (though it may once have been), there
doesn't appear to be any third party software issues that I can find, and the
Windows XP "welcome" screen is enabled and works.

I tried starting the fastuserswitchingcompatibility and the terminalservices
services (actually the latter was already running) to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
2 answers Last reply
More about enable fast user switching

    Did you create a new User Account to switch to?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "alexm" wrote:

    | (I posted this question previously on the XP Configuration/support newsgroup,
    | and apologize if posting it here too is a breach of etiquette.)
    |
    | I have a new Dell laptop (inspiron 9200) with 1 GB of RAM running XP Pro. I
    | cannot turn on fast user switching. When I turn it on, either using the
    | check box in the Users control panel applet under "login" or by editting the
    | registry directly (the HKLM\software\microsoft\windows
    | nt\currentversion\winlogon\allowmultipleTSSession setting) the change doesn't
    | stick - the registry entry or the check box reverts to the zero or unchecked
    | state.
    |
    | The computer is not part of a domain (though it may once have been), there
    | doesn't appear to be any third party software issues that I can find, and the
    | Windows XP "welcome" screen is enabled and works.
    |
    | I tried starting the fastuserswitchingcompatibility and the terminalservices
    | services (actually the latter was already running) to no avail.
    |
    | Any suggestions?
    |
    | Thanks!!

    Yes! There are several accounts.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Did you create a new User Account to switch to?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "alexm" wrote:
    >
    > | (I posted this question previously on the XP Configuration/support newsgroup,
    > | and apologize if posting it here too is a breach of etiquette.)
    > |
    > | I have a new Dell laptop (inspiron 9200) with 1 GB of RAM running XP Pro. I
    > | cannot turn on fast user switching. When I turn it on, either using the
    > | check box in the Users control panel applet under "login" or by editting the
    > | registry directly (the HKLM\software\microsoft\windows
    > | nt\currentversion\winlogon\allowmultipleTSSession setting) the change doesn't
    > | stick - the registry entry or the check box reverts to the zero or unchecked
    > | state.
    > |
    > | The computer is not part of a domain (though it may once have been), there
    > | doesn't appear to be any third party software issues that I can find, and the
    > | Windows XP "welcome" screen is enabled and works.
    > |
    > | I tried starting the fastuserswitchingcompatibility and the terminalservices
    > | services (actually the latter was already running) to no avail.
    > |
    > | Any suggestions?
    > |
    > | Thanks!!

Microsoft Windows XP