9800 Pro, Cat 4.5/4.6 Horrid texture flicker in Q3-OpenGL

Ok, I've tried every setting I have in the driver applet for opengl, and
I constantly see texture corruption/flickering (with colors, bits of
textures, etc.). I know ATI's implementation of OGL does *not* rule,
never did. But surely it can run even old Q3A 1.32 'cleanly'? I do not
get any of this in D3D, such as with Far Cry and UT2004. Any ideas on
how to fix it?

System:
Gigabyte GA8IPE1000-G (new) init AGP, AGP aperture 128
1 gig PC3200+ DDR at dual channel and 200 actual clock (DDR400)
Retail Boxed P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800 fsb, 1 meg L2
ATI brand 9800 Pro 128 meg, was Cat 4.6 (where I noted this corruption),
now 4.5 (still there)

XP Pro SP1

Anything?

Thanks all,
McG.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Ok, I've tried every setting I have in the driver applet for opengl, and
> I constantly see texture corruption/flickering (with colors, bits of
> textures, etc.). I know ATI's implementation of OGL does *not* rule,
> never did. But surely it can run even old Q3A 1.32 'cleanly'? I do not
> get any of this in D3D, such as with Far Cry and UT2004. Any ideas on
> how to fix it?

I do know from personal experience that the 4.5's and 4.6's do produce
shadow and lighting flickering in Thief Deadly Shadows, whereas the 4.4's
work normally with this game. Whether this relates to your issues I don't
know.....

Augustus wrote:
>> Ok, I've tried every setting I have in the driver applet for opengl,
>> and I constantly see texture corruption/flickering (with colors,
>> bits of textures, etc.). I know ATI's implementation of OGL does
>> *not* rule, never did. But surely it can run even old Q3A 1.32
>> 'cleanly'? I do not get any of this in D3D, such as with Far Cry
>> and UT2004. Any ideas on how to fix it?
>
> I do know from personal experience that the 4.5's and 4.6's do produce
> shadow and lighting flickering in Thief Deadly Shadows, whereas the
> 4.4's work normally with this game. Whether this relates to your
> issues I don't know.....

Thanks, it's worth a shot :)
McG.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:11:58 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, I've tried every setting I have in the driver applet for opengl, and
>I constantly see texture corruption/flickering (with colors, bits of
>textures, etc.). I know ATI's implementation of OGL does *not* rule,
>never did. But surely it can run even old Q3A 1.32 'cleanly'? I do not
>get any of this in D3D, such as with Far Cry and UT2004. Any ideas on
>how to fix it?

If Cat 4.4 does not fix it, remember the following axiom:-

Ati is not noted for their driver support of legacy games.

The hardware architecture changes that started with the 9700
family broke lots of legacy functionality in their drivers and their
QC of legacy games has been very spotty ever since. Maybe
they prefer to shuffle the problems under the carpet, because fixes
for legacy games may cause the drivers to fail on current titles.
The notion of fully unified drivers (the Cat series) at Ati is at
least a year or so behind nVidia.

John Lewis

>System:
>Gigabyte GA8IPE1000-G (new) init AGP, AGP aperture 128
>1 gig PC3200+ DDR at dual channel and 200 actual clock (DDR400)
>Retail Boxed P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800 fsb, 1 meg L2
>ATI brand 9800 Pro 128 meg, was Cat 4.6 (where I noted this corruption),
>now 4.5 (still there)
>
>XP Pro SP1
>
>Anything?
>
>Thanks all,
>McG.

Thanks John, I'll try the 4.4's and see what happens. I have all of
them, plenty to choose from. :)
McG.

John Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:11:58 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've tried every setting I have in the driver applet for opengl,
>> and I constantly see texture corruption/flickering (with colors,
>> bits of textures, etc.). I know ATI's implementation of OGL does
>> *not* rule, never did. But surely it can run even old Q3A 1.32
>> 'cleanly'? I do not get any of this in D3D, such as with Far Cry
>> and UT2004. Any ideas on how to fix it?
>>

> If Cat 4.4 does not fix it, remember the following axiom:-
>
> Ati is not noted for their driver support of legacy games.
>
> The hardware architecture changes that started with the 9700
> family broke lots of legacy functionality in their drivers and their
> QC of legacy games has been very spotty ever since. Maybe
> they prefer to shuffle the problems under the carpet, because fixes
> for legacy games may cause the drivers to fail on current titles.
> The notion of fully unified drivers (the Cat series) at Ati is at
> least a year or so behind nVidia.
>
> John Lewis
>
>> System:
>> Gigabyte GA8IPE1000-G (new) init AGP, AGP aperture 128
>> 1 gig PC3200+ DDR at dual channel and 200 actual clock (DDR400)
>> Retail Boxed P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800 fsb, 1 meg L2
>> ATI brand 9800 Pro 128 meg, was Cat 4.6 (where I noted this
>> corruption), now 4.5 (still there)
>>
>> XP Pro SP1
>>
>> Anything?
>>
>> Thanks all,