Ad-hoc network

I am trying to share files between two Laptops via a wireless ad-hoc network. I created the wireless network connection, but I can only see my own computer when I "view workgroup computers". The taskbar icon says my signal strength is excellent and at 11MBS. What do I do???
Thanks

"PyroBoy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> I am trying to share files between two Laptops via a
wireless ad-hoc network. I created the wireless network
connection, but I can only see my own computer when I "view
workgroup computers". The taskbar icon says my signal
strength is excellent and at 11MBS. What do I do???
> Thanks

with so little info to go on, it's hard to give a qualified
answer to your question. Tr www.practicallynetworked.com for
more thoughts..

P.

"PyroBoy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to share files between two Laptops via a wireless ad-hoc
network. I created the wireless network connection, but I can only see my
own computer when I "view workgroup computers". The taskbar icon says my
signal strength is excellent and at 11MBS. What do I do???

I'm not sure this is the technically correct way to do it, but I ran across
the same problem. Both wireless cards worked OK, but when I tried the
ad-hoc setting, the p2p network showed, both were set to ad-hoc and could
see themselves, but not each other.

I had to manually set the IP address for one of the cards, by going to
network connections, and the properties of the tcp/ip>wireless card. One of
the adapters was using 192.168.2.71, so I set the other to not obtain an
address automatically, but to use 192.168.2.51, with subnet masks set on
both at 255.255.255.0.

Then the computers could see each other and I could swap files through the
workgroup shared folders.

The reason I'm not sure this is the best way, is that when I brought the one
(laptop) machine back in the range of the router and tried to connect to the
internet through the wireless, it hung on detecting proxy settings. So I
switched the settings back to 'obtain an IP address automatically' and it
immediately connected through the router.

There must be a better way to do it so you don't have to change settings
each time, but this worked for me to get the two to connect. If anyone else
has a suggestion of how to switch easily between networks with and without a
DNS server without the fixed IP address setting for all, that would make
things easy.

Gary

TW

Distinguished