9800 pro woes...

Greetings-

My new Sapphire 9800 pro refuses to finish the 3dmark 2001se
locks up the machine in the nature test,
will complete the previous tests in the 14400 range...
fastwrites off...set all sliders for performance...
Sapphire drivers, ATI drivers, Omega drives all the same result.

3d mark 2003, locks after the first test...aquamark 3, middle of the second...

Case is open and on its side, heatsink and memory were hot...
till I turned up the tornado on the cpu heatsink
AND stood an 80mm fan up on the PCI slot next to it...LOL!
cool now...however, test results remain the same.

Runs Sisoft sandra arithmetic, multimedia and cache tests just fine...
used drivercleaner 3 before all driver changes.

WaddaIdonow?

Ski

MSI KT6V WinXP
AMD 3200+-400fsb Thermalright SLK-900 92mm vantec Tornado
Kingmax PC-3500 memory 2X512
WD Raptor 36G 10,000rpm SATA
Antec 550W truecontrol
Viewsonic A90F+

Locutus

update your drivers and dx9
chipset
video

"Ski" <wrenchski@aol.comspleen> wrote in message news:20040628062255.05570.00000757@mb-m14.aol.com...
> Greetings-
>
> My new Sapphire 9800 pro refuses to finish the 3dmark 2001se
> locks up the machine in the nature test,
> will complete the previous tests in the 14400 range...
> fastwrites off...set all sliders for performance...
> Sapphire drivers, ATI drivers, Omega drives all the same result.
>
> 3d mark 2003, locks after the first test...aquamark 3, middle of the second...
>
> Case is open and on its side, heatsink and memory were hot...
> till I turned up the tornado on the cpu heatsink
> AND stood an 80mm fan up on the PCI slot next to it...LOL!
> cool now...however, test results remain the same.
>
> Runs Sisoft sandra arithmetic, multimedia and cache tests just fine...
> used drivercleaner 3 before all driver changes.
>
> WaddaIdonow?
>
> Ski
>
> MSI KT6V WinXP
> AMD 3200+-400fsb Thermalright SLK-900 92mm vantec Tornado
> Kingmax PC-3500 memory 2X512
> WD Raptor 36G 10,000rpm SATA
> Antec 550W truecontrol
> Viewsonic A90F+

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

"Ski" <wrenchski@aol.comspleen> wrote in message
> Greetings-
>
> My new Sapphire 9800 pro refuses to finish the 3dmark 2001se
> locks up the machine in the nature test,
> will complete the previous tests in the 14400 range...
> fastwrites off...set all sliders for performance...
> Sapphire drivers, ATI drivers, Omega drives all the same result.
>
> 3d mark 2003, locks after the first test...aquamark 3, middle of the
second...

> Case is open and on its side, heatsink and memory were hot...
> till I turned up the tornado on the cpu heatsink
> AND stood an 80mm fan up on the PCI slot next to it...LOL!
> cool now...however, test results remain the same.

Its more than likely the card is too hot, rather than the cpu. Try blowing
that spare fan at the gpu and see if that makes a difference.
--
Les
AMD64 3200+

>"Ski" <wrenchski@aol.comspleen> wrote in message
>> Greetings-
>>
>> My new Sapphire 9800 pro refuses to finish the 3dmark 2001se
>> locks up the machine in the nature test,
>> will complete the previous tests in the 14400 range...
>> fastwrites off...set all sliders for performance...
>> Sapphire drivers, ATI drivers, Omega drives all the same result.
>>
>> 3d mark 2003, locks after the first test...aquamark 3, middle of the
>second...
>>
>> Case is open and on its side, heatsink and memory were hot...
>> till I turned up the tornado on the cpu heatsink
>> AND stood an 80mm fan up on the PCI slot next to it...LOL!
>> cool now...however, test results remain the same.
>>

>Its more than likely the card is too hot, rather than the cpu. Try blowing
>that spare fan at the gpu and see if that makes a difference.
>--
>Les
>AMD64 3200+
>2x512 MB corsair platinum 3500
>Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP
>Herc 9700 Pro - VGA Silencer 3
>SB Audigy

updated chipset drivers...reloaded OS..80mmfan pointed directly at the VPU
cooler on one side, 92mm tornado blowing on the other side...held mouth funny,
stood on one foot, anybody got a virgin I can sacrifice?

Thanks all,
Ski

> >"Ski" <wrenchski@aol.comspleen> wrote in message
> >> Greetings-
> >>
> >> My new Sapphire 9800 pro refuses to finish the 3dmark 2001se
> >> locks up the machine in the nature test,
> >> will complete the previous tests in the 14400 range...
> >> fastwrites off...set all sliders for performance...
> >> Sapphire drivers, ATI drivers, Omega drives all the same result.
> >>
> >> 3d mark 2003, locks after the first test...aquamark 3, middle of the
> >second...
> >>
> >> Case is open and on its side, heatsink and memory were hot...
> >> till I turned up the tornado on the cpu heatsink
> >> AND stood an 80mm fan up on the PCI slot next to it...LOL!
> >> cool now...however, test results remain the same.
> >>

> >Its more than likely the card is too hot, rather than the cpu. Try
blowing
> >that spare fan at the gpu and see if that makes a difference.
> >--
> >Les
> >AMD64 3200+
> >2x512 MB corsair platinum 3500
> >Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP
> >Herc 9700 Pro - VGA Silencer 3
> >SB Audigy
>
> updated chipset drivers...reloaded OS..80mmfan pointed directly at the VPU
> cooler on one side, 92mm tornado blowing on the other side...held mouth
funny,
> stood on one foot, anybody got a virgin I can sacrifice?
>

> Thanks all,
> Ski

Are you able to play games OK?
Did you check for mobo compatability issues on MSI newsgroups/web. You don't
say if it is overclocked or not.

>> >second...

>> >Its more than likely the card is too hot, rather than the cpu. Try
>blowing
>> >that spare fan at the gpu and see if that makes a difference.
>> >--
>> >Les
>> >AMD64 3200+
>> >2x512 MB corsair platinum 3500
>> >Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP
>> >Herc 9700 Pro - VGA Silencer 3
>> >SB Audigy
>>
>> updated chipset drivers...reloaded OS..80mmfan pointed directly at the VPU
>> cooler on one side, 92mm tornado blowing on the other side...held mouth
>funny,
>> stood on one foot, anybody got a virgin I can sacrifice?
>>

>> Thanks all,
>> Ski
>
>Are you able to play games OK?
>Did you check for mobo compatability issues on MSI newsgroups/web. You don't
>say if it is overclocked or not.

new machine...still in set-up mode.
Means I benchmark everything and burn-in BEFORE I play games,
saves me blowing something up when it's outa warranty.
3DMark 2001se is hardly a stressful benchmark on modern equipment,
that's why I use it first. never got to the burn - in...

Overclock? not at the beginning, everything's at default,
or run as slow as it'll go and ramped up to default.
Fastwrites off like the sapphire message board suggested...
also said to run it at 4X...F that, I *PAID* for 8X, I *WANT* 8X...
Although I RMA'd it hours ago, I'd still like ti know whats wrong,
as I'm SURE I'LL run into other folks with this problem.
Gonna run an MSI 5900XT nvidia...I KNOW that'll work with the board,
as well as the 9600 pro I've got in my sons machine.

Thanks,
Ski

>new machine...still in set-up mode.
>Means I benchmark everything and burn-in BEFORE I play games,
>saves me blowing something up when it's outa warranty.
>3DMark 2001se is hardly a stressful benchmark on modern equipment,
>that's why I use it first. never got to the burn - in...
>
>Overclock? not at the beginning, everything's at default,
>or run as slow as it'll go and ramped up to default.
>Fastwrites off like the sapphire message board suggested...
>also said to run it at 4X...F that, I *PAID* for 8X, I *WANT* 8X...
>Although I RMA'd it hours ago, I'd still like ti know whats wrong,
>as I'm SURE I'LL run into other folks with this problem.
>Gonna run an MSI 5900XT nvidia...I KNOW that'll work with the board,
>as well as the 9600 pro I've got in my sons machine.
>
>Thanks,
>Ski

Set AGP to 4x and I'll bet it runs fine. Just try it.

--
Jim Davis, President,
Eastern Beaver Company,

"<snip>> >>
> >> Thanks all,
> >> Ski
> >
> >Are you able to play games OK?
> >Did you check for mobo compatability issues on MSI newsgroups/web. You
don't
> >say if it is overclocked or not.
> >

> new machine...still in set-up mode.
> Means I benchmark everything and burn-in BEFORE I play games,
> saves me blowing something up when it's outa warranty.
> 3DMark 2001se is hardly a stressful benchmark on modern equipment,
> that's why I use it first. never got to the burn - in...
>
> Overclock? not at the beginning, everything's at default,
> or run as slow as it'll go and ramped up to default.
> Fastwrites off like the sapphire message board suggested...
> also said to run it at 4X...F that, I *PAID* for 8X, I *WANT* 8X...
> Although I RMA'd it hours ago, I'd still like ti know whats wrong,
> as I'm SURE I'LL run into other folks with this problem.
> Gonna run an MSI 5900XT nvidia...I KNOW that'll work with the board,
> as well as the 9600 pro I've got in my sons machine.
>
> Thanks,
> Ski

Hows your PSU
The only other suggestion I could make would be try different RAM.
Computers are complicated devices so sometimes some things don't work and
the reasons are buried somewhere in the combination of drivers, hardware and
who knows what else. It's not a desirable situation, but one we need to live
with - so you may never get your answer.

Good luck.

On 28 Jun 2004 19:33:19 GMT, wrenchski@aol.comspleen (Ski) wrote:

>new machine...still in set-up mode.
>Means I benchmark everything and burn-in BEFORE I play games,
>saves me blowing something up when it's outa warranty.
>3DMark 2001se is hardly a stressful benchmark on modern equipment,
>that's why I use it first. never got to the burn - in...
>
>Overclock? not at the beginning, everything's at default,
>or run as slow as it'll go and ramped up to default.
>Fastwrites off like the sapphire message board suggested...
>also said to run it at 4X...F that, I *PAID* for 8X, I *WANT* 8X...
>Although I RMA'd it hours ago, I'd still like ti know whats wrong,
>as I'm SURE I'LL run into other folks with this problem.
>Gonna run an MSI 5900XT nvidia...I KNOW that'll work with the board,
>as well as the 9600 pro I've got in my sons machine.

I can only run at 4x AGP also. I used to run 8x but had to reinstall
Xp due to a hard drive's imminent crash (hasn't yet). I also put in an
Audigy 2.

I think the MB has lots to do with it. I have a rather oddball SIS955
chipset, Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra. Everything's working great, but like
you say, I paid for 8x, I want 8x. If I set to 8x, windows crashes
hard almost right away, sometimes after a few seconds.

I'll live with 4x for now, likely no difference anyway. I might try 8x
again after next Radeon driver comes out.

--
Jim Davis, President,
Eastern Beaver Company,

If you have installed the latest AGP chipset driver for your motherboard and
you still get a hard crash, then it's a hardware problem. Either the
motherboard is not compatible with the video card, or the chipset is
defective.

JK

"James B. Davis" <jbdavis@hkg.odn.ne.jp> wrote in message
> On 28 Jun 2004 19:33:19 GMT, wrenchski@aol.comspleen (Ski) wrote:
>
> >new machine...still in set-up mode.
> >Means I benchmark everything and burn-in BEFORE I play games,
> >saves me blowing something up when it's outa warranty.
> >3DMark 2001se is hardly a stressful benchmark on modern equipment,
> >that's why I use it first. never got to the burn - in...
> >
> >Overclock? not at the beginning, everything's at default,
> >or run as slow as it'll go and ramped up to default.
> >Fastwrites off like the sapphire message board suggested...
> >also said to run it at 4X...F that, I *PAID* for 8X, I *WANT* 8X...
> >Although I RMA'd it hours ago, I'd still like ti know whats wrong,
> >as I'm SURE I'LL run into other folks with this problem.
> >Gonna run an MSI 5900XT nvidia...I KNOW that'll work with the board,
> >as well as the 9600 pro I've got in my sons machine.
>
> I can only run at 4x AGP also. I used to run 8x but had to reinstall
> Xp due to a hard drive's imminent crash (hasn't yet). I also put in an
> Audigy 2.
>
> I think the MB has lots to do with it. I have a rather oddball SIS955
> chipset, Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra. Everything's working great, but like
> you say, I paid for 8x, I want 8x. If I set to 8x, windows crashes
> hard almost right away, sometimes after a few seconds.
>
> I'll live with 4x for now, likely no difference anyway. I might try 8x
> again after next Radeon driver comes out.
>

> --
> Jim Davis, President,
> Eastern Beaver Company,
> http://ebeaver.oberro.com/
> Motorcycle Relay Kits

>If you have installed the latest AGP chipset driver for your motherboard and
>you still get a hard crash, then it's a hardware problem. Either the
>motherboard is not compatible with the video card, or the chipset is
>defective.
>
>JK

all latest chipset drivers...3 different vid drivers...directx drivers,
check...scrubbed, buffed, os reinstalled thrice.
Vid card is in the MSI list of approved/tested...

Installed 5900xt WITHOUT doin' the ATI boogie, and wadda ya know...when I TRY
to cause troubles, i don't...now runs both 3dmark apps AND aquamark 3 to
completion.

back to ATI with the pro, I guess it didn't like me...LOL!

Ski
Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)