Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

128 bit WEP encryption

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:39:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I am trying to set up WEP 128 bit encryption for my wireless network using
the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility. When I get to the Association tab
and specify WEP encryption the Network Key box only allows a maximum of 23
characters to be entered. 128 bit encryption requires a 26 character hex key.
Does the Wireless utility support 128 bit encryption? If so, how do I go
about entering a valid network key? Thanks.

More about : 128 bit wep encryption

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:56:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Your adapter may require a driver upgrade to attain 128-bit WEP capability.

How to Make Your 802.11b Wireless Home Network More Secure
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309369

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jim W" wrote:

| I am trying to set up WEP 128 bit encryption for my wireless network using
| the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility. When I get to the Association tab
| and specify WEP encryption the Network Key box only allows a maximum of 23
| characters to be entered. 128 bit encryption requires a 26 character hex key.
| Does the Wireless utility support 128 bit encryption? If so, how do I go
| about entering a valid network key? Thanks.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:56:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

This appears to be unrelated to the network adapter. I can use the adapter
manufacturer's configuration utility to set up 128 bit encryption and it
works OK, but cannot do it with the windows utility. I have tried this on
several computers using three different adapters, all of which support 128
bit encription. The question remains "Does the Windows wireless utility
support 128 bit encryption?" I can't get it to allow more than 23 characters
even when using adapters which support that level of encryption. Thanks again.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Your adapter may require a driver upgrade to attain 128-bit WEP capability.
>
> How to Make Your 802.11b Wireless Home Network More Secure
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309369
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Jim W" wrote:
>
> | I am trying to set up WEP 128 bit encryption for my wireless network using
> | the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility. When I get to the Association tab
> | and specify WEP encryption the Network Key box only allows a maximum of 23
> | characters to be entered. 128 bit encryption requires a 26 character hex key.
> | Does the Wireless utility support 128 bit encryption? If so, how do I go
> | about entering a valid network key? Thanks.
>
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:56:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Jim, Windows XP supports 128-bit WEP, so this should work for you.
The configuration UI is a little misleading since it is too short to hold
long WEP key strings - it will start scrolling around the 23rd character,
and since the key is represented as a string if dots, it is hard to spot he
fact that it is scrolling. Just keep typing yoru full 26-character WEP key,
repeat it correctly in the second text box, and you should be good to go.

Note also that when you go back to this dialog after setting your key, you
will see 8 "dots" representing your key, irrespective of the actual length
of the key you set (40, 64 or 128-bit WEP).
This was deliberately done to reveal as little information as possible about
the WEP key being used.

Mark.

"Jim W" <JimW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:67409BBE-BCC9-4A84-8B0D-F3AD38CAC5E1@microsoft.com...
> This appears to be unrelated to the network adapter. I can use the adapter
> manufacturer's configuration utility to set up 128 bit encryption and it
> works OK, but cannot do it with the windows utility. I have tried this on
> several computers using three different adapters, all of which support 128
> bit encription. The question remains "Does the Windows wireless utility
> support 128 bit encryption?" I can't get it to allow more than 23
> characters
> even when using adapters which support that level of encryption. Thanks
> again.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Your adapter may require a driver upgrade to attain 128-bit WEP
>> capability.
>>
>> How to Make Your 802.11b Wireless Home Network More Secure
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309369
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "Jim W" wrote:
>>
>> | I am trying to set up WEP 128 bit encryption for my wireless network
>> using
>> | the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility. When I get to the
>> Association tab
>> | and specify WEP encryption the Network Key box only allows a maximum of
>> 23
>> | characters to be entered. 128 bit encryption requires a 26 character
>> hex key.
>> | Does the Wireless utility support 128 bit encryption? If so, how do I
>> go
>> | about entering a valid network key? Thanks.
>>
!