HL2 - Basic skybox tutorial?

Last response: in Video Games
January 5, 2005 2:17:35 AM

Hi all.

Posted to alt.games.half-life.editing too, but it's so quiet in there
I don't expect much. Maybe someone here can help?

I'm a NOOB (What horrible speling) at mapping, so I've been looking
through the basic tutorials. However I can't find out how to make a
sky / outside map effect.

I've googled and come up with The snarkpit, Valves editor reference
and a couple of other sites, but not found (so far) the basics on how
to correctly build a sky box around an outside map.

I've tried applying sky textures from the browse function of the
texture tool, but when I've applied a sky texture all I've ended up
with was a slightly graduated pattern on the wall.

I'm off to experiment some more, but it'd save a lot of time if
someone could explain in english or point me to a reader friendly
tutorial.

Thanks folks.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:28:20 AM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:17:35 +0000, Mike Barnard
<m.barnard.trousers@thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm a NOOB (What horrible speling) at mapping, so I've been looking

DOH...

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Levels/3d_skyboxes.html

Thanks anyway.

--
Regards from The Pizza Man -UK-

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:32:45 AM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:28:20 +0000, Mike Barnard
<m.barnard.trousers@thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:17:35 +0000, Mike Barnard
><m.barnard.trousers@thunderin.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I'm a NOOB (What horrible speling) at mapping, so I've been looking
>
>DOH...
>
>http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Levels/3d_skyboxes.html
>
>Thanks anyway.

See maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf for an example of a 3D skybox.

Sample maps referenced in this document
maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf

Links don't work. Great...

--
Regards from The Pizza Man -UK-

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
January 5, 2005 3:56:26 AM

"Mike Barnard" wrote

> See maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf for an example of a 3D skybox.
>
> Sample maps referenced in this document
> maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf
>
> Links don't work. Great...

You have the vmf file on your computer already

Something like:
...\SteamApps\<uid>\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\

Or search for the darn thing :-)

- Peter
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:56:27 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:56:26 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Mike Barnard" wrote
>
>> See maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf for an example of a 3D skybox.
>>
>> Sample maps referenced in this document
>> maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf
>>
>> Links don't work. Great...
>>
>You have the vmf file on your computer already
>
>Something like:
>..\SteamApps\<uid>\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\
>
>Or search for the darn thing :-)
>
>- Peter

Done that. Searched all drives for *.vmf and got no results.

--
Regards from The Pizza Man -UK-

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:56:28 AM

Mike Barnard wrote:

>>>See maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf for an example of a 3D skybox.
>>>
>>>Sample maps referenced in this document
>>>maps\sdk_3d_skybox.vmf
>>>
>>>Links don't work. Great...
>>>

>>You have the vmf file on your computer already
>>
>>Something like:
>>..\SteamApps\<uid>\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\
>>
>>Or search for the darn thing :-)
>>
>>- Peter
>>

> Done that. Searched all drives for *.vmf and got no results.

Strange! If you've installed Hammer, they should be there - Have you
tried updating the SDK on steam?

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

Ben Cottrell wrote:

>>> You have the vmf file on your computer already
>>>
>>> Something like:
>>> ..\SteamApps\<uid>\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\
>>>
>>> Or search for the darn thing :-)
>>>
>>> - Peter
>>>

>> Done that. Searched all drives for *.vmf and got no results.
>

> Strange! If you've installed Hammer, they should be there - Have you
> tried updating the SDK on steam?

Fortunately, HL2 support is in the works for QuArK, so we won't have to
suffer through Hammer for much longer. How hard is it to create an
application that doesn't freeze up solid just because the path variables
are set wrong?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:39:04 AM

"Ben Cottrell" wrote

> Strange! If you've installed Hammer, they should be there - Have you tried
> updating the SDK on steam?

That'll be steam://validate/211

Mike please note that the sourcesdk filestructure has been changed apporx a
month ago
I haven't done any modding yet you might be better of to clear the sourcesdk
folder and let Steam rebuild from scratch from the GCF system

- Peter
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:48:52 PM

Killah Gorillah wrote:

> Fortunately, HL2 support is in the works for QuArK, so we won't have to
> suffer through Hammer for much longer. How hard is it to create an
> application that doesn't freeze up solid just because the path variables
> are set wrong?

Although I don't think using QuArK would help him find the VMF files :-)
it would be nice however to create HL2 maps from QuArK instead of hammer
though... much nicer interface IMHO.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:21:10 +0000, Ben Cottrell
<bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>> Done that. Searched all drives for *.vmf and got no results.
>
>Strange! If you've installed Hammer, they should be there - Have you
>tried updating the SDK on steam?

See reply to Peter, below.

--
Regards from The Pizza Man -UK-

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 6:23:37 PM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:39:04 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Strange! If you've installed Hammer, they should be there - Have you tried
>> updating the SDK on steam?
>>
>That'll be steam://validate/211

Nice easy link, thanks.

Just run it, it brought up a "percentage done" bar, but no further
stuff, so I guess if found nothing wrong.

>Mike please note that the sourcesdk filestructure has been changed apporx a
>month ago
>I haven't done any modding yet you might be better of to clear the sourcesdk
>folder and let Steam rebuild from scratch from the GCF system

Thats in their FAQ somewhere. Will try later if I can't find it
somewhere else.

--
Regards from The Pizza Man -UK-

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:21:04 AM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:17:35 +0000, Mike Barnard
<m.barnard.trousers@thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

>someone could explain in english or point me to a reader friendly
>tutorial.

Well, I've written one myself. It's in a.g.hl.editing if you're
interested. Comments desired.

--

!