xp home drive mapping to 2003 server

I know you can't join a domain with home edition, but I'm wondering if you
can map a drive like you could with 2000 server. It worked because 2000
server checked the username/password and you could access the drives, but I
think that changed with 2003 server. Does anyone know this for sure?

Thanks,
Bobby

"BRW" <beefjerky128@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I know you can't join a domain with home edition, but I'm wondering if you
>can map a drive like you could with 2000 server. It worked because 2000
>server checked the username/password and you could access the drives, but I
>think that changed with 2003 server. Does anyone know this for sure?
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

It all depends on what permissions are configured on the shared folder.
However, it can absolutely be done - there's no reason why you can't map a
drive from XP Home to 2003 short of inappropriate shared folder/NTFS
permissions.

--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

"BRW" <beefjerky128@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I know you can't join a domain with home edition, but I'm wondering if you
>can map a drive like you could with 2000 server. It worked because 2000
>server checked the username/password and you could access the drives, but I
>think that changed with 2003 server. Does anyone know this for sure?

No nothing changed - you can still map a drive (even from Windows XP Home
Edition) if you can supply a set of valid domain credentials when you do the
mapping either through the GUI or at the command line using the net use
command.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"BRW" <beefjerky128@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I know you can't join a domain with home edition, but I'm wondering if you
>can map a drive like you could with 2000 server. It worked because 2000
>server checked the username/password and you could access the drives, but I
>think that changed with 2003 server. Does anyone know this for sure?
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

Thanks Dan,

You probably figured out that the reason I am asking is because my client is
going to a 2003 server and I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to
upgrade the XP Home computers. Of course I want to but there is a lot of
cost in it for them.

If you or anybody has a moment to think out loud could you give me some
other thoughts on the downside to not upgrading these machines. Such as, any
consequences with DNS, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, etc.?

Thanks,
Bobby
"Dan DiNicolo" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> "BRW" <beefjerky128@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I know you can't join a domain with home edition, but I'm wondering if you
>>can map a drive like you could with 2000 server. It worked because 2000
>>server checked the username/password and you could access the drives, but
>>I think that changed with 2003 server. Does anyone know this for sure?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bobby
>
> It all depends on what permissions are configured on the shared folder.
> However, it can absolutely be done - there's no reason why you can't map a
> drive from XP Home to 2003 short of inappropriate shared folder/NTFS
> permissions.
>
> --
> Dan DiNicolo
> MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
> http://www.2000trainers.com

Thanks Mike,

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:22:03 +0000, BRW wrote:
> Thanks Dan,
>
> You probably figured out that the reason I am asking is because my client is
> going to a 2003 server and I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to
> upgrade the XP Home computers. Of course I want to but there is a lot of
> cost in it for them.
>
> If you or anybody has a moment to think out loud could you give me some
> other thoughts on the downside to not upgrading these machines. Such as, any
> consequences with DNS, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, etc.?

Not moving them to a DOMAIN type platform means that all management of the
workstations and accounts on those stations is done at those stations. It
also means that you can't viably redirect the "My Documents" folder to the
server for safe storage.

Sure, you can map drives like a login script "Net use H:
\\server\homes$\User1, but it only works if they don't remove the script
from the workstation and if they don't change their password and the
server doesn't expire passwords :)

You don't have to use Symantec AV to PUSH the client out form the server,
but it does mean that the local, unmanaged, installation is controllable
by the user.

When I find clients like this, the cost to get a FULL OEM XP Prof install
is about $140 and they always need something like a new hard-drive or a MS
Mouse, so it brings the cost of XP Prof OEM to about $190.

Not sure if this helped, but it's my quick thoughts.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> Thanks Mike,
>
> You probably figured out that the reason I am asking is because my client
> is going to a 2003 server and I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary
> to upgrade the XP Home computers. Of course I want to but there is a lot
> of cost in it for them.
>
> If you or anybody has a moment to think out loud could you give me some
> other thoughts on the downside to not upgrading these machines. Such as,
> any consequences with DNS, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, etc.?

Biggest losses by NOT upgrading from Home to professional if you in a Active
Directory Domain environment is loss of all reasonable management
functionality through Group Policy
see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/default.mspx

Loss of proper centralised management of user accounts and security
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/default.mspx

and lots more.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/default.mspx

--