Limiting access by day/hour of wireless clients to Internet

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi,

Situation: Microsoft MN-500 wireless router providing Internet access
via DSL to 3 clients, all running WinXP Home. Primary system is
connected to router via ethernet. Other two systems access via
wireless.

I need to cut off internet access completely to the two wireless
clients based on day/time. Best I can tell, the MN-500 doesn't allow
completely cutting off access - only to defined ports.

Is there a solution to this problem? I'd prefer to control access via
the router rather than installing software to do same on each system,
but would consider it. I'd also consider replacing the router with
another that provides such functionality.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dave

I suggest you visit the experts in the Wireless Networking Newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

In article <1107305114.549905.295520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
david.j.parker@verizon.net says...
> Hi,
>
> Situation: Microsoft MN-500 wireless router providing Internet access
> via DSL to 3 clients, all running WinXP Home. Primary system is
> connected to router via ethernet. Other two systems access via
> wireless.
>
> I need to cut off internet access completely to the two wireless
> clients based on day/time. Best I can tell, the MN-500 doesn't allow
> completely cutting off access - only to defined ports.
>
> Is there a solution to this problem? I'd prefer to control access via
> the router rather than installing software to do same on each system,
> but would consider it. I'd also consider replacing the router with
> another that provides such functionality.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

If the router supports 802.1x authentication, you can set up a remote
access policy that only allows access during the designated hours of the
day. If there is no 802.1x support, then there is no way to implement
time of day restrictions.

Brian