XP Activation or phishing scam

February 2, 2005 9:49:02 AM

Is this a phishing scam? I receivec it via E-mail

Hello Microsoft user,

We here at Microsoft would like you to still receive your normal computer
updates,
That Will protect your computer from Viruses and spyware. We have noticed A
lot of
people are illegally Using our services Without paying for their Windows
Operating
System. Therefor we've made a web site so you can update or validate your
windows
serial and credit card information. If you do not comply with our policy,
windows
will ask you to reactivate your serial number, and it will become invalid.
So you
will lose
any information on your computer. If you do not validate your serial number,
your
copy of windows will be labeled as piracy.

Your Credit Card will not be charged. We use your
credit card information to validate your windows system. If any one else has
your
serial number we will contact you by phone.
It is critical that you update your serial number and validate it, so no one
else
will attempt to use it. We've also added Programs to help fight
piracy and adware. After your verification is complete, You can download these
programs free of charge.

Please validate your account by Signing in our web site below.

http://activatewindowsxp.cjb.net
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:01:02 PM

You received a 100% bogus email message! Microsoft would
never send an email message that requests credit card information!

Phishing scams: 5 ways to help protect your identity
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/phishing...

Video: What you should know about phishing identity-theft scams
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/phishing...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Paul Walnuts" wrote:

| Is this a phishing scam? I receivec it via E-mail
| -----------------------------------------------------
|
| Hello Microsoft user,
|
| We here at Microsoft would like you to still receive your normal computer
| updates,
| That Will protect your computer from Viruses and spyware. We have noticed A
| lot of
| people are illegally Using our services Without paying for their Windows
| Operating
| System. Therefor we've made a web site so you can update or validate your
| windows
| serial and credit card information. If you do not comply with our policy,
| windows
| will ask you to reactivate your serial number, and it will become invalid.
| So you
| will lose
| any information on your computer. If you do not validate your serial number,
| your
| copy of windows will be labeled as piracy.
|
| Your Credit Card will not be charged. We use your
| credit card information to validate your windows system. If any one else has
| your
| serial number we will contact you by phone.
| It is critical that you update your serial number and validate it, so no one
| else
| will attempt to use it. We've also added Programs to help fight
| piracy and adware. After your verification is complete, You can download these
| programs free of charge.
|
| Please validate your account by Signing in our web site below.
|

| http://activatewindowsxp.cjb.net

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:04:47 AM

Paul Walnuts wrote:
> Is this a phishing scam? I receivec it via E-mail
>
> Hello Microsoft user,
>
> We here at Microsoft would like you to still receive your normal
> computer updates,
> That Will protect your computer from Viruses and spyware. We have
> noticed A lot of
> people are illegally Using our services Without paying for their
> Windows Operating
> System. Therefor we've made a web site so you can update or validate
> your windows
> serial and credit card information. If you do not comply with our
> policy, windows
> will ask you to reactivate your serial number, and it will become
> invalid.
> So you
> will lose
> any information on your computer. If you do not validate your serial
> number, your
> copy of windows will be labeled as piracy.
>
> Your Credit Card will not be charged. We use your
> credit card information to validate your windows system. If any one
> else has your
> serial number we will contact you by phone.
> It is critical that you update your serial number and validate it, so
> no one else
> will attempt to use it. We've also added Programs to help fight
> piracy and adware. After your verification is complete, You can
> download these programs free of charge.
>
> Please validate your account by Signing in our web site below.
>

> http://activatewindowsxp.cjb.net

I'm surprised you have to ask This is an obvious one - I've seen many more
convincing phishing messages :)

1. Does cjb.net look like something Microsoft uses?
2. Do you think an official Microsoft email would contain so many
erroneously capitalized random letters, and spelling errors?

Microsoft doesn't know your email address. They don't ask for credit card
info, and they wouldn't know it in the first place to do any sort of
"verification". They don't send out patches via email. They actually don't
really know you exist - I don't say that as any sort of slight.

You're right to be cautious - it's a good thing. Don't believe *any* email
that asks for personal/financial information from you, even if it looks like
it's from your cable or phone company or bank. You wouldn't give your credit
card to somebody who called you and claimed to be from your bank, would you?
I wouldn't - I'd say, "you're supposed to know that information, so I'm not
telling you squat."
!