Intermittent Network Connection

Like some below, I am having intermittent dropout with my wireless network. It happens about every 9 and half minutes. I can almost set a timer for it to drop out. I am using XP Pro on a Gateway 600 Series notebook. I believe it has an ORiNOCO Mini PCI card. I bought a Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router. I thought maybe there was a compatibility issue so I bought a Netgear 802.11g card for my laptop, but I have the same problem with it (I will be returning it!). I have updated the drivers for my laptop and updated the firmware on the Router. I also keep up with the Windows Updates and Hotfixes. Is there something I am missing here? Is it a tweak in XP or do I need to return the router and get something else. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

did you turn off your ssid broadcast on the router?

"satelyte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Like some below, I am having intermittent dropout with my wireless
network. It happens about every 9 and half minutes. I can almost set a
timer for it to drop out. I am using XP Pro on a Gateway 600 Series
notebook. I believe it has an ORiNOCO Mini PCI card. I bought a Netgear
WGR614 Wireless Router. I thought maybe there was a compatibility issue so
I bought a Netgear 802.11g card for my laptop, but I have the same problem
with it (I will be returning it!). I have updated the drivers for my laptop
and updated the firmware on the Router. I also keep up with the Windows
Updates and Hotfixes. Is there something I am missing here? Is it a tweak
in XP or do I need to return the router and get something else. Thanks in
advance.

No. I haven't tried turning off the SSID. I will do that this evening. Is this some kind of polling problem, seeing as how it happens in a regular interval?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

no, turning it off is bad... if it is off and there is another one that is
broadcasting that you can receive you will get disconnected from your in
favor of the other one. check to be sure it is on though just in case.

> No. I haven't tried turning off the SSID. I will do that this evening.
Is this some kind of polling problem, seeing as how it happens in a regular
interval?

i had a similar problem, and found that it was because i was using the
installed windows configuration.

i installed the software that came with the card and disabled the Wireless
Zero Configuration Service

Start/Run services.msc

hth

philip ashley

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> no, turning it off is bad... if it is off and there is another one that is
> broadcasting that you can receive you will get disconnected from your in
> favor of the other one. check to be sure it is on though just in case.
>
> "satelyte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No. I haven't tried turning off the SSID. I will do that this evening.
> Is this some kind of polling problem, seeing as how it happens in a
regular
> interval?

Thanks, Philip. I'm still haven't resolved this issue, so I'll give that a shot later today.