Wireless router question

Without going into the details of my network configuration, I am wondering
if I can replace my 802.11b wireless adapter with a 802.11g wireless router
(and just not use the WAN port)?

Will it work? Any negatives to be aware of?

TIA,

Richard Rosenheim

mark

You can use the wirlees g router without using the wan portr. I'm assuming
youre replacing a b router or access point and not an adapter?
"Richard L Rosenheim" <richard@rlr.com> wrote in message
> Without going into the details of my network configuration, I am wondering
> if I can replace my 802.11b wireless adapter with a 802.11g wireless
router
> (and just not use the WAN port)?
>
> Will it work? Any negatives to be aware of?
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard Rosenheim

Correct, and thanks.

Richard

"Mark" <pyedubois@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can use the wirlees g router without using the wan portr. I'm assuming
> youre replacing a b router or access point and not an adapter?
> "Richard L Rosenheim" <richard@rlr.com> wrote in message
> > Without going into the details of my network configuration, I am
wondering
> > if I can replace my 802.11b wireless adapter with a 802.11g wireless
> router
> > (and just not use the WAN port)?
> >
> > Will it work? Any negatives to be aware of?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Richard Rosenheim

Just one negative. It seems as if most compatibility testing these days is
done G-to-G and not B-to-G. So an 802.11b card may have issues connecting
to an 802.11g router.

My 802.11b Linksys WPC11v3 used to connect just fine to my Linksys WRT54G
router when using pre-1.42 firmwares although WPA did not work (it would
crash the router). However, the newer firmware versions for the WRT54G
cause frequent disconnects but WPA works (as long as the connection is
maintained). Since upgrading to an 802.11g WPC54G, connections have been
solid for days at a time.

-Yves

"Richard L Rosenheim" <richard@rlr.com> wrote in message
> Without going into the details of my network configuration, I am wondering
> if I can replace my 802.11b wireless adapter with a 802.11g wireless
router
> (and just not use the WAN port)?
>
> Will it work? Any negatives to be aware of?
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard Rosenheim

Thanks for the feedback.

Richard