VIVO - that does it mean?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2004 9:16:44 PM

What does VIVO stand for and what does it mean?
eg. VGA SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon9200 128 bit, (VIVO), 250 MHz, 128 MB

Thanks.

More about : vivo

July 1, 2004 9:16:45 PM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:16:44 +0200, "Luka" <edge12@globalnet.hr> wrote:

>What does VIVO stand for and what does it mean?

I believe its Video In, Video Out.
July 1, 2004 9:35:33 PM

"Andrew" wrote
> I believe its Video In, Video Out.

Yup!
so what does that mean anyway? I'm assuming it has *extra* sockets on the
back to connect to your VCR. I have a Sapphire 9800 and that has 1x D-Sub,
1x DVI and 1x small round connector? I thought this enabled me to connect to
a TV or Video also, so now I am wondering what VIVO offers on top of this?
(connect to TV and Video at the same time?).
--
Wayne ][
July 1, 2004 9:35:34 PM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:35:33 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
<waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Yup!
>so what does that mean anyway? I'm assuming it has *extra* sockets on the
>back to connect to your VCR. I have a Sapphire 9800 and that has 1x D-Sub,
>1x DVI and 1x small round connector? I thought this enabled me to connect to
>a TV or Video also, so now I am wondering what VIVO offers on top of this?
>(connect to TV and Video at the same time?).

Video out is for connecting to a TV so you can display your computer
screen on a TV, Video in can be used to connect a Video camera, VCR
etc. to display on your computer screen.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 3:01:45 AM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:50:04 -0700, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:35:33 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
><waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Yup!
>>so what does that mean anyway? I'm assuming it has *extra* sockets on the
>>back to connect to your VCR. I have a Sapphire 9800 and that has 1x D-Sub,
>>1x DVI and 1x small round connector? I thought this enabled me to connect to
>>a TV or Video also, so now I am wondering what VIVO offers on top of this?
>>(connect to TV and Video at the same time?).
>
>Video out is for connecting to a TV so you can display your computer
>screen on a TV, Video in can be used to connect a Video camera, VCR
>etc. to display on your computer screen.

And capture, of course.

patrickp

July 2, 2004 6:46:47 AM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:01:45 +0100, patrickp <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:50:04 -0700, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:35:33 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
>><waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Yup!
>>>so what does that mean anyway? I'm assuming it has *extra* sockets on the
>>>back to connect to your VCR. I have a Sapphire 9800 and that has 1x D-Sub,
>>>1x DVI and 1x small round connector? I thought this enabled me to connect to
>>>a TV or Video also, so now I am wondering what VIVO offers on top of this?
>>>(connect to TV and Video at the same time?).
>>
>>Video out is for connecting to a TV so you can display your computer
>>screen on a TV, Video in can be used to connect a Video camera, VCR
>>etc. to display on your computer screen.
>

>And capture, of course.
>
>patrickp
>
>patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

'Viideo In' only captures Video. The audio needs to be captured
by your sound card. And a suitable application to tie them together.
Pretty cheesy. You will probably find programs that support
this dual- function on the shelves at CompUSA, or maybe
packaged with the retail version of the video card.

For good quality, you need a dedicated analog capture card
from outfits with a pro-video background such as Pinnacle
or Matrox. Not horribly expensive. Pinnacle Studio 9 AV/DV
including all sofware and supporting both digital and
analog video capture is ~ $149.

John Lewis
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 5:34:09 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:46:47 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:01:45 +0100, patrickp <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:50:04 -0700, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>Video out is for connecting to a TV so you can display your computer
>>>screen on a TV, Video in can be used to connect a Video camera, VCR
>>>etc. to display on your computer screen.
>>

>>And capture, of course.
>>
>>patrickp
>>
>>patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>

>'Viideo In' only captures Video. The audio needs to be captured
>by your sound card. And a suitable application to tie them together.
>Pretty cheesy. You will probably find programs that support
>this dual- function on the shelves at CompUSA, or maybe
>packaged with the retail version of the video card.
>
>For good quality, you need a dedicated analog capture card
>from outfits with a pro-video background such as Pinnacle
>or Matrox. Not horribly expensive. Pinnacle Studio 9 AV/DV
>including all sofware and supporting both digital and
>analog video capture is ~ $149.
>
>John Lewis

But the Video In doesn't do the capture: a capture app does. And all
apps that do capture should capture the sound from the sound card
along with the video from the VIVO card just as well as they will for
the audio and video from an AIW. Even M$' AMCAP does. A VIVO
actually captures just as well as an AIW - I've had both, and each
works just as well, _including_ audio.

Certainly, you should get better results from a dedicated capture
card, but that isn't the point. A VIVO card _will_ work perfectly
well for capture, including audio, and just as well as an AIW.

Additionally, VIVOs generally handle all video formats, whereas AIWs
are usually region linked and either NTSC only or PAL/SECAM only.

If you're using a direct feed from an aerial or cable with tuneable
stations, the tuner capability of an AIW can be an asset (although
direct composite or S-video input from an external, higher quality
tuner can provide better picture quality), but if your source is a VCR
or a cable box providing an output on one channel only, the AIW tuner
is superfluous and the VIVO is a better option.

VIVOs don't, however, usually seem to handle teletext. They are, of
course, cheaper than AIWs and should be of equivalent quality, so your
choice is really down to whether you want tuner capability. Or
whether you want to shell out extra for a dedicated capture card.

patrickp