ATI 9800 Pro: How do I control AA/AF settings in 3D games?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • ATI
  • 3D
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 2, 2004 12:24:26 AM

Ok, I just upgraded my pc to an AMD 2800 Barton with ATI 9800 Pro 128meg
video card. Finally switched from Nvidia. First thing that I learned was
that you have to uninstall any prior ATI driver before upgrading to new
driver. Ooophs! Like anyone reads the "ReadMe" files?

Anyway, I open the ATI control panel and select 3D tab. I can either use
the slider to adjust graphic settings or go into Custom. Here's my
questions:

1. How do I force ATI video card to set AA/AF to off? I only see
"manually" set it to min 2x, or let the application set it. For game X, I
want it off.

2. I ran benchmarks on CoD and UT2004. I manually set the AA/AF to 2x
and got X fps. Then I set AA/AF to max. But I still got X fps. This was
in 1024 rez with 32 bit color and max details. My new system might be
fast, but I should have seen a drop off in frame rate when I manually set
AA/AF to max. Even other web sites with their benchmarks show a drop off.
Is there some setting that I still need to flip to kick in my custom
settings? Oh, V-synch is off.

3. If I let the Application pick AA/AF setting, is there a way during
gameplay to tell what the application picked?

4. Under Custom, there's a bunch of sliders. And then there's two radio
buttons: Performance vs Quality. What exactly is this feature doing for
me? I d/l the ATI manual which has some info on 3D settings, but this
feature isn't listed.

TIA
JLC

More about : ati 9800 pro control settings games

July 2, 2004 1:28:53 AM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:24:26 GMT, "JLC" <JLC@mars.com> wrote:

>Ok, I just upgraded my pc to an AMD 2800 Barton with ATI 9800 Pro 128meg
>video card. Finally switched from Nvidia. First thing that I learned was
>that you have to uninstall any prior ATI driver before upgrading to new
>driver. Ooophs! Like anyone reads the "ReadMe" files?

You don't "have to". Some people in this group say you do, but I and
others have got on fine without it.

>1. How do I force ATI video card to set AA/AF to off? I only see
>"manually" set it to min 2x, or let the application set it. For game X, I
>want it off.

If you want different setting for different games, use Radlinker.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2004 5:46:24 AM

On 7/1/2004 1:28 PM Andrew brightened our day with:

http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]
July 2, 2004 8:02:34 AM

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:24:26 GMT, "JLC" <JLC@mars.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok, I just upgraded my pc to an AMD 2800 Barton with ATI 9800 Pro 128meg
> >video card. Finally switched from Nvidia. First thing that I learned
was
> >that you have to uninstall any prior ATI driver before upgrading to new
> >driver. Ooophs! Like anyone reads the "ReadMe" files?
>
> You don't "have to". Some people in this group say you do, but I and
> others have got on fine without it.
>
> >1. How do I force ATI video card to set AA/AF to off? I only see
> >"manually" set it to min 2x, or let the application set it. For game X,
> >want it off.
>
> If you want different setting for different games, use Radlinker.
> --

I just installed Radlinker and it works great. Thanks.
!