ATI 9800 Pro: How do I control AA/AF settings in 3D games?

Ok, I just upgraded my pc to an AMD 2800 Barton with ATI 9800 Pro 128meg
video card. Finally switched from Nvidia. First thing that I learned was
that you have to uninstall any prior ATI driver before upgrading to new
driver. Ooophs! Like anyone reads the "ReadMe" files?

Anyway, I open the ATI control panel and select 3D tab. I can either use
the slider to adjust graphic settings or go into Custom. Here's my
questions:

1. How do I force ATI video card to set AA/AF to off? I only see
"manually" set it to min 2x, or let the application set it. For game X, I
want it off.

2. I ran benchmarks on CoD and UT2004. I manually set the AA/AF to 2x
and got X fps. Then I set AA/AF to max. But I still got X fps. This was
in 1024 rez with 32 bit color and max details. My new system might be
fast, but I should have seen a drop off in frame rate when I manually set
AA/AF to max. Even other web sites with their benchmarks show a drop off.
Is there some setting that I still need to flip to kick in my custom
settings? Oh, V-synch is off.

3. If I let the Application pick AA/AF setting, is there a way during
gameplay to tell what the application picked?

4. Under Custom, there's a bunch of sliders. And then there's two radio
buttons: Performance vs Quality. What exactly is this feature doing for
me? I d/l the ATI manual which has some info on 3D settings, but this
feature isn't listed.

TIA
JLC
3 answers Last reply
More about 9800 control settings games

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:24:26 GMT, "JLC" <JLC@mars.com> wrote:

    >Ok, I just upgraded my pc to an AMD 2800 Barton with ATI 9800 Pro 128meg
    >video card. Finally switched from Nvidia. First thing that I learned was
    >that you have to uninstall any prior ATI driver before upgrading to new
    >driver. Ooophs! Like anyone reads the "ReadMe" files?

    You don't "have to". Some people in this group say you do, but I and
    others have got on fine without it.

    >1. How do I force ATI video card to set AA/AF to off? I only see
    >"manually" set it to min 2x, or let the application set it. For game X, I
    >want it off.

    If you want different setting for different games, use Radlinker.

    On 7/1/2004 1:28 PM Andrew brightened our day with:

    http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/

    --
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

    - Inigo Montoya
    Steve [Inglo]

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:24:26 GMT, "JLC" <JLC@mars.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Ok, I just upgraded my pc to an AMD 2800 Barton with ATI 9800 Pro 128meg
    > >video card. Finally switched from Nvidia. First thing that I learned
    was
    > >that you have to uninstall any prior ATI driver before upgrading to new
    > >driver. Ooophs! Like anyone reads the "ReadMe" files?
    >
    > You don't "have to". Some people in this group say you do, but I and
    > others have got on fine without it.
    >
    > >1. How do I force ATI video card to set AA/AF to off? I only see
    > >"manually" set it to min 2x, or let the application set it. For game X,
    > >want it off.
    >
    > If you want different setting for different games, use Radlinker.
    > --

    I just installed Radlinker and it works great. Thanks.

Radeon Graphics Cards ATI 3D Graphics