Virus "value" nowhere to be found!?!?!

Hello! I have (likely) many viruses on my newish laptop, and they are slowing
things down IMMENSELY. I have Norton AV and Spybot S&D installed on my system
and used both today to combat my little problem. Of course Norton said it
could not delete any of the "at risk" adware threats it found, and I could
only rid myself of 10 threats using the "expanded threat" fix-its from
Symantec. I tried following the Symantec instructions for manually removing
the remaining threats from my Windows registry, but they weren't even listed
on my computer!!! Does anyone have a clue what's going on, and how I can stop
my computer from taking 3-5 mins for startup each time!?!?!

Appreciate the help (in advance)!
5 answers Last reply
More about virus value found

    There is a very helpful virus removal newsgroup you may wish­ to post to:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.security.virus ­

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Virus Removal Tools
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

    Online Virus Removal Tutorials
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/virusremoval/virusremoval_info_tutorial.html

    3 Simple Steps to Insure the Security of Your PC

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Victoria" wrote:

    | Hello! I have (likely) many viruses on my newish laptop, and they are slowing
    | things down IMMENSELY. I have Norton AV and Spybot S&D installed on my system
    | and used both today to combat my little problem. Of course Norton said it
    | could not delete any of the "at risk" adware threats it found, and I could
    | only rid myself of 10 threats using the "expanded threat" fix-its from
    | Symantec. I tried following the Symantec instructions for manually removing
    | the remaining threats from my Windows registry, but they weren't even listed
    | on my computer!!! Does anyone have a clue what's going on, and how I can stop
    | my computer from taking 3-5 mins for startup each time!?!?!
    |
    | Appreciate the help (in advance)!

    Should Norton's not identify a virus as such it may be better to run SPybot S
    & D, which you have, and see if they are catagorised or identified as malware.

    Spybot will delete them.

    You can also click START> RUN>
    Type in MSCONFIG
    click on the STARTUP tab and uncheck any items you do not want to startup.

    Reboot and then run Spybot, as this may assist in removing ALL the malware
    at the first attempt.

    It may be that Spybot will need to be run a few times to get rid of
    everything...you'll see why as and when you run it.

    Also: make sure that you look at NAV's Reports and delete any quarantine
    items as they can be released from their prison if and when you perform a
    reinstall of XP.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > There is a very helpful virus removal newsgroup you may wish­ to post to:
    > news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.security.virus ­
    >
    > Symantec Security Check
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >
    > Virus Removal Tools
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html
    >
    > Online Virus Removal Tutorials
    > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/virusremoval/virusremoval_info_tutorial.html
    >
    > 3 Simple Steps to Insure the Security of Your PC

    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Victoria" wrote:
    >
    > | Hello! I have (likely) many viruses on my newish laptop, and they are slowing
    > | things down IMMENSELY. I have Norton AV and Spybot S&D installed on my system
    > | and used both today to combat my little problem. Of course Norton said it
    > | could not delete any of the "at risk" adware threats it found, and I could
    > | only rid myself of 10 threats using the "expanded threat" fix-its from
    > | Symantec. I tried following the Symantec instructions for manually removing
    > | the remaining threats from my Windows registry, but they weren't even listed
    > | on my computer!!! Does anyone have a clue what's going on, and how I can stop
    > | my computer from taking 3-5 mins for startup each time!?!?!
    > |
    > | Appreciate the help (in advance)!

    1) Download the following four items...

    McAfee Stinger
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt388.zip

    SYSCLEAN.COM .

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) Disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode [F8 key during boot]
    and shutdown as many applications as possible.
    5) Using Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using the three
    utilities; Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware
    7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) Create a new Restore point

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    --
    Dave

    "Victoria" <Victoria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hello! I have (likely) many viruses on my newish laptop, and they are slowing
    | things down IMMENSELY. I have Norton AV and Spybot S&D installed on my system
    | and used both today to combat my little problem. Of course Norton said it
    | could not delete any of the "at risk" adware threats it found, and I could
    | only rid myself of 10 threats using the "expanded threat" fix-its from
    | Symantec. I tried following the Symantec instructions for manually removing
    | the remaining threats from my Windows registry, but they weren't even listed
    | on my computer!!! Does anyone have a clue what's going on, and how I can stop
    | my computer from taking 3-5 mins for startup each time!?!?!
    |
    | Appreciate the help (in advance)!

    Many thanks to all who submitted suggestions and help! I ended up following
    David's suggestions because they seemed the most comprehensive. The
    programmes listed identified the VAST majority of my computer files as being
    infected when first run. I ran them a total of 3 times (took a long time),
    and seem to have cleared all I can. I feel more confident that my computer is
    malware (if not virus) free, although it still takes a while to start. I have
    256MB RAM on my laptop, and a processor speed of 800MHz - with this speed
    should it be taking 2 minutes to load Windows on start up? I hope this is
    "reporting" enough, it's as much as my limited computer-tech knowedge will
    allow. Thanks again!

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > 1) Download the following four items...
    >
    > McAfee Stinger
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    >
    > Trend Sysclean Package
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
    >
    > Latest Trend Pattern File.
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
    >
    > Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > Create a directory.
    > On drive "C:\"
    > (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    > or the desktop
    > (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
    >
    > Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
    > Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    > For example; lpt388.zip
    >
    > Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
    > SYSCLEAN.COM .
    >
    > 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    > 3) Disable System Restore
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
    > 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode [F8 key during boot]
    > and shutdown as many applications as possible.
    > 5) Using Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    > platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    > (a few cycles may be needed)
    > 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using the three
    > utilities; Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware
    > 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    > (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    > 8) Reboot your PC.
    > 9) Create a new Restore point
    >

    > * * * Please report your results ! * * *
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "Victoria" <Victoria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Hello! I have (likely) many viruses on my newish laptop, and they are slowing
    > | things down IMMENSELY. I have Norton AV and Spybot S&D installed on my system
    > | and used both today to combat my little problem. Of course Norton said it
    > | could not delete any of the "at risk" adware threats it found, and I could
    > | only rid myself of 10 threats using the "expanded threat" fix-its from
    > | Symantec. I tried following the Symantec instructions for manually removing
    > | the remaining threats from my Windows registry, but they weren't even listed
    > | on my computer!!! Does anyone have a clue what's going on, and how I can stop
    > | my computer from taking 3-5 mins for startup each time!?!?!
    > |
    > | Appreciate the help (in advance)!

    800MHz, 256MB and a notebook -- Ye, it is on the slower side.
    800MHz and 256MB is good, but the minimum for performance and notebooks have slower hard
    disks than desktop computers.

    --

> [...]
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    | >

    | > "Victoria" <Victoria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hello! I have (likely) many viruses on my newish laptop, and they are slowing
    | > | things down IMMENSELY. I have Norton AV and Spybot S&D installed on my system
    | > | and used both today to combat my little problem. Of course Norton said it
    | > | could not delete any of the "at risk" adware threats it found, and I could
    | > | only rid myself of 10 threats using the "expanded threat" fix-its from
    | > | Symantec. I tried following the Symantec instructions for manually removing
    | > | the remaining threats from my Windows registry, but they weren't even listed
    | > | on my computer!!! Does anyone have a clue what's going on, and how I can stop
    | > | my computer from taking 3-5 mins for startup each time!?!?!
    | > |
    | > | Appreciate the help (in advance)!

Windows XP