IR Remote Control Program for PocketPC?

April 22, 2004 6:20:37 AM

I've head that PDAs with IR capability can control TVs, VCRs, etc with the
right software.

Is there a program that can change my cable box channel at a predetermined
time? What I would like my Pocket PC to do is change the channel while I'm
away, so my VCR can record programs on different channels.
--
Bob D.
Anonymous

Bob,

What are you doing leaving without your Pocket PC??? :)

There are several Universal Remote software programs available for
controlling various A/V equipment, but none that I know of that has a
timer.

What you are looking for is something that is included with many PVR based
recording equipment(TiVo, Replay TV, Snapstream's Beyond TV) has an IR
Repeater which looks like a 3.5 stereo jack connector on one end an a red
plastic LED that affixes itself over the IR receiver of the
Cable/satellite box so it can change the channels to record. Some Hi-End
VCRs and DVD Recorders have this functionality.

Also in order to use your PPC as a remote control your PPC has to support
CIR(Consumer Infra Red) if not you will need to purchase an adapter for
your PPC to do this.

TV Remote from www.PDAWin.com
they sell remote control software and IR extenders for your PPC

Another favorite is the offering from Griffin Technology, called Total
Remote which has an adapter that converts a signal generated on your 3.5
stereo jack of your PPC to CIR. They also include software as well that
supports CCF (Pronto) as well as Macro Editing capabilities.:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/griffinmobile/totalrem...

Maybe through a third party application you could invoke a program based
on time to run a macro to change the channel. You could also write your
own there is a good article on it, ""How can I register my program to run
at a certain time?"
" here:

http://www.pocketpcdn.com/qa/cerunappattime.html

There are some regular IR remote controls that can perfrom macros that are
set to a time change on the remote. Check out www.remotecentral.com

--
Steven 'fyiguy' Hughes - Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
BostonPocketPC.com

!