Security Center - Strange Behaviour

I was using my XP SP2 fine until about a week ago, since then i got the
following problem:

* When i start my PC, the security center pops up a warning saying that no
AV soft is installed.

* If i stop and restart the Security Center service the AV is recognized
(once the system was started)

* This is not an AV problem because i am using the latest version of NOD32
AV (i also tried with F-prot and Norton AV getting the same results)

* I´ve tried re-installing SP2 with no luck.

Please if you could help me i would very gratefull.

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about security center strange behaviour

    Tangalanga wrote:

    > I was using my XP SP2 fine until about a week ago, since then i got
    > the following problem:
    >
    > * When i start my PC, the security center pops up a warning saying
    > that no AV soft is installed.
    >
    > * If i stop and restart the Security Center service the AV is
    > recognized (once the system was started)
    >
    > * This is not an AV problem because i am using the latest version of
    > NOD32 AV (i also tried with F-prot and Norton AV getting the same
    > results)
    >
    > * I´ve tried re-installing SP2 with no luck.

    As long as you know that your NOD32 is current and the virus definitions
    are up-to-date, it doesn't matter what Security Center says. Open the
    Security Center applet in Control Panel and on the left side click,
    "change how Security Center alerts me". Uncheck the alerts for
    antivirus. Obviously, SC has a problem understanding NOD32's status.
    This isn't important; what is important is that you keep NOD32 current
    and updated and NOD32 will let you know if you need to renew its
    subscription.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke:

    First of all thanks for the reply.

    About your "solution", let me tell you that if i do that (your
    recomendation) i am losing the AV warning when new virus definitions files
    are available for download.

    I understand that your recommendation was directly to "turn off" the AV
    recognition of WinXP´s security center.

    I wish that i could get a solution to get my system like it was before this
    error.

    I don´t want to reach a format-and-reinstall everything instance.

    Regards

    Tangalanga wrote:

    > Malke:
    >
    > First of all thanks for the reply.
    >
    > About your "solution", let me tell you that if i do that (your
    > recomendation) i am losing the AV warning when new virus definitions
    > files are available for download.
    >
    > I understand that your recommendation was directly to "turn off" the
    > AV recognition of WinXP´s security center.
    >
    > I wish that i could get a solution to get my system like it was before
    > this error.
    >
    > I don´t want to reach a format-and-reinstall everything instance.

    The warning about virus definitions files being out of date should come
    from NOD32, not Windows. The only reason for the Security Center at all
    is to alert Windows users when they don't have current protection in
    place as so many home users don't. SP2 also turns on Automatic Updates
    and the Security Center gives an alert if AU is not on. This is
    supposed to help protect the computer user from him/herself.

    If you aren't getting a notice from NOD32 about new virus definitions or
    product upgrades being available, the issue is with NOD32 and not
    Windows. Again, this has nothing to do with any function built into
    Windows. Reinstalling Windows will not solve the issue at all and is
    certainly not a valid troubleshooting step. Check with NOD32 tech
    support for problems with their program. There is always the
    possibility that you have picked up a virus not covered by its
    definitions and which has broken NOD32. To ensure that your computer is
    clean, try scanning with TrendMicro's Sysclean first:

    TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
    advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
    scanning engine and the virus pattern files.

    1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
    useful like "Sysclean".
    2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

    The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
    WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
    put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made.

    3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
    tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
    menu.
    4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
    Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
    need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
    able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

    If Sysclean picks up any malware, repair or uninstall/reinstall NOD32
    with the most current version, using updated virus definitions, and do
    a thorough scan in Safe Mode.

    HTH,

    Malke
    --